Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Texas window tint law?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 08:31 AM
GibMax
2nd Gear Member

Default Texas window tint law?

Just purchased a 2008 Shelby in Florida. Going through Louisiana the state police gave us a warning that the windows were too dark. We will be keeping the car in Texas. So, we want to know does Texas have a widow tint law?

How do we determine how much tint is too much?
Old 03-29-2011, 08:34 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/misc/faq/tint.htm

Google is your friend! haha
Old 03-29-2011, 08:44 AM
GibMax
2nd Gear Member

Okay, great. Thank you.

I also see this post:
https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...ndow-tint.html
Old 03-29-2011, 09:23 AM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

I am not from Texas but have lots of experience in what you're talking about. There is no empirical way a State Trooper can dictate if you're window is too dark on the side of the highway. The rule of thumb they go by is that ,

a) Can you see how many people are in the car, and if so, how many male or female. If the answer is "no" then your window is too dark.

Up where I am, the legal limit is 22%. I personally have limo tint on my rig and that sits about 5%. The way you go around that is that if you get stopped. Put all your windows down, and turn on the interior light immediately. This will distract the investigator and not allow him to focus on your dark tint. Cause really, whats the point of tint if its too bright. Any more questions, shoot away. Good luck

PS; Unless you got a rap sheet, cops will tend to not bother you if your courteous and do the "Yes sir, No sir routine"
Old 03-29-2011, 10:20 AM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

im surprised that the cop even warned u in LA about it. he doesnt have any jurisdiction over that since ur car is registered in another state. i live in LA and have yet to get any crap about my tint which is 25% (legal in tx where i got it, not legal in LA)
Old 03-29-2011, 10:22 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

I just moved from Western Maryland to SW Florida, and if it were up to me, I'd say all tint is legal! Sun is brutal down here, even in winter.

I have 17% all-around and havent been bothered about it yet by the Law.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:01 AM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

I lived in Texas for 5 years.....everyone and myself had the darkest limo tint you could buy and never had a problem. The Texas cop cars are blacked out tinted.....if there is a law they don't enforce it. Everyday is 110 F***in degrees and bright and sunny.....how could you not have tints....should be the law!
Old 03-29-2011, 11:17 AM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

I decided to go max legal, and I wish I would've gone to 10%. The Florida summer sun levels and humidity are off the charts! I have an acquaintance who told me he was forced to rip off his tint on spot by a FHP officer. However, my acquaintance was being an @$$ and was also going 30 over the posted limit on I-75.

You should be fine with tint that's over the legal limit as long as you're not abusive towards the officer and don't treat the streets like your personal drag strip.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:21 AM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

The Florida cop cars are blacked-out....what's their excuse?
Old 03-29-2011, 11:52 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by daredevil95
The Florida cop cars are blacked-out....what's their excuse?
Governmental people can have 0% tint. They can also speed without consequences.

And apparently steal, buy hookers, and all that other good stuff!

Good place for me to ask while this is on topic. Me and my gf just moved to florida. My car is still registered to MD and her car to PA. Could we get tint without worrying about being pulled over for it? I know it's out of their jurisdiction, but isn't there also a law about obey all state-laws while passing through them? I currently have 17% all around but the gf's civic is still naked

Quick Reply: Texas window tint law?