Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boss With A Badge: 2011 Mustang 5.0 Police Interceptor

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 11:48 AM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

There's an unmarked silver s197 around my area in Orlando that frequently pulls speeders over. I always love to see it pass by, but I can imagine to the unlucky few that he's pulled over, the feeling is not quite the same haha.

You can keep wishing for an LX, but in this day and age I don't think that'd be a popular enough route to warrant it. The money just wouldn't be there.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:23 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

the Texas DPS ran a huge fleet of 5.0 coupes back in the day. these cars weren't necessarily only for catching speeders since most pull over. they were always the cars you would see as fast responders to a major accident or other issue where help was needed fast.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:45 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
the Texas DPS ran a huge fleet of 5.0 coupes back in the day. these cars weren't necessarily only for catching speeders since most pull over. they were always the cars you would see as fast responders to a major accident or other issue where help was needed fast.
A good friend of mine went to DPS academy in Austin several years back. At his graduation at the academy, in the training barracks, there is a memorial to a fallen trooper who was killed in duty during the '80s. A picture of him show him standing on a Fox body patrol car he drove.
Yes indeed, the DPS did issue out alot of Fox body 5.0s back in the day.

Today, for some reason, the DPS no longer has any coupes; they have all went in favor of sedans, mostly Crom Vics, and actually a small complement of Chargers. On a trip through Temple, I saw a pair of troopers sitting on the side of the interstate, one of them had a brand new Charger.

As for a Coyote Mustang being built as an interceptor, I think they would look bad-*** in DPS colors!
Old 03-31-2011, 07:50 PM
Vader GT
4th Gear Member

That's cool! My 1990 is an SSP car (FHP). I do have the black w/silver centers that I do roll on from time to time....Here is a pic w/the police wheels instead of the Cobra R's (it stil had the spotlight in the pic)

Old 03-31-2011, 07:57 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

those 5.0 coups were EVERYWHERE in texas for a few years after they were retired, that was all you could find for sale. like an idiot at the time i thought they were ugly and passe don more than a few in the low 2G range. everysingle one of them had holes on the dash from the shotgun rack though lol they took good care of those cars though
Old 03-31-2011, 09:17 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Vader GT
That's cool! My 1990 is an SSP car (FHP). I do have the black w/silver centers that I do roll on from time to time....Here is a pic w/the police wheels instead of the Cobra R's (it stil had the spotlight in the pic)

Sweet ride....I love the radiator in the SSP cars designation "Desert Cooler". Do you still have the speedo with the calibrated logo on it....back in the day; my friends and i were able to get those cheap at the auctions....they even had Buick Grand Nationals & T-Types as state cop cars in CT....we got them dirt cheap!! Those were the days!
Old 04-01-2011, 02:09 AM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

nice ride.

this thread is making me miss my old 92 LX

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MolOlYG3JWE
Old 04-01-2011, 02:10 AM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MadStang40
You can keep wishing for an LX, but in this day and age I don't think that'd be a popular enough route to warrant it. The money just wouldn't be there.
dont be a buzz killer.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:03 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
dont be a buzz killer.
I dont know why, but this is hilarious to me! lol
Old 04-01-2011, 06:05 AM
Vader GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by daredevil95
Sweet ride....I love the radiator in the SSP cars designation "Desert Cooler". Do you still have the speedo with the calibrated logo on it....back in the day; my friends and i were able to get those cheap at the auctions....they even had Buick Grand Nationals & T-Types as state cop cars in CT....we got them dirt cheap!! Those were the days!
I do, the speedo is still there + I do have all the police items from the working siren to the lights, etc... I did repair all the interior of any holes that had been done by the FHP. I usually ride around with the Cobra R's on the car, but I do use the blk 10holes from time to time.

Don't worry about the guy above beig a "buzz kiler" the motor has extensive work to it & does have a vortec....it puts down 439 RWHP & weighs 2800lbs, so if you do the math, it is definitely worth it!

Last edited by Vader GT; 04-01-2011 at 06:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Boss With A Badge: 2011 Mustang 5.0 Police Interceptor