Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to go nuts! Another belt thrown. (Novi 2200)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 12:18 PM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

Hopefully it will be the money to get my head unit rebuilt if needed, and reinstalled... Plus the money or repairing the belt twice. I need to figure out for sure if it's the head unit. When I listened to some videos on YouTube of some Vortechs with bad bearings it sounded different. What I am hearing from my engine bay and SEEMS to be coming from the head unit is about 2 clicks per second (only at idle rpm speeds). You can also feel it through the pedals.

Once moving the noise goes away, then comes back once you are idling at a light again. I read on some other forum something about the bearings in idler pulley not moving which also seems possible (maybe) which could explain why it only makes the noise at idle... But I'm no mechanic, just makes sense to me logically.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:34 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

I think if you spun a bearing in it that it would make noise all the time. Also, Monday call Paxton and talk to them about whats been going on and they may be able to help you out.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:14 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

if you spun a bearing, the noise would only get worse with higher RPM...and the blower would freeze up fairly quickly. the noise becomes a high shrieking metal on metal sound. unmistakable.

check your pulleys and belt line-up. sounds more likely that the last time you broke your belt one of the pulleys got slightly bent...or the tensioner itself is slightly tweaked.

sorry for your troubles. things like this are why I do all my own installs. any 2-bit idiot can get a ASE liscence. They're nothing special.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:53 PM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

If it helps any, I timed it while idling in the drive thru.

It made the tick noise about 110 times in a minute when I had it in drive. It was pretty easy to count because the noise is happening at a set interval.

Placing the car in park slightly speeds up the noise but it's not as audible so harder to count

Last edited by gburke1; 04-03-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:18 PM
olvanish
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by gburke1
Damn good question... I might just go that route of suing them. What kind of lawyer would I seek out for something like that?

From what I can gather, a head unit repair would cost about $800 + freight. Not to mention the $600 I already spent fixing belts, and the money they charged me for their faulty tuning... and now we are talking $1700+... more than I paid them to install it in the first place.
I wish I could help you with that, but I'm not too familiar with the whole small claims court stuff-- traffic court is another story lol I don't think you necessarily need one. You can get the claim started, get all the paperwork including something that shows that the original shop screwed up and go from there. Make sure that any "2nd opinions" you get are the professional ones because your own testimony would not be considered valuable. And remember-- whoever loses the cases is the one who ends up paying court fees so make sure you're prepared.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:20 PM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

I believe the issue has been located.

The idler pulley (the one in between the alternator and supercharger pulley) is wobbling. The wobbling is synchronized with the sound. The bad part is this means taking off the head unit again.

The last shop I went to that installed the belt said if it was the pulley they would only charge me for the part, so I am going to take it there in the morning.

edit:
This is the piece that is wobbling (4PCS016-160): http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/product.php?p=63
Old 04-04-2011, 06:46 PM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

Threads like this that makes me happy I have the Roush M90 and installed it myself...to many horror stories with these monkey mechanics.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:51 PM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roy_R
Threads like this that makes me happy I have the Roush M90 and installed it myself...to many horror stories with these monkey mechanics.
No kidding. I think the mechanics AFTER the initial installer were fine though.

I have a feeling by the time this is all done I will almost know how to install the damn thing myself...
Old 04-04-2011, 08:07 PM
rydeordie
3rd Gear Member

Damn that sucks man! I'm glad I've never an issue with my Novi 2200 at all. Where are you located.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:54 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gburke1
I believe the issue has been located.

The idler pulley (the one in between the alternator and supercharger pulley) is wobbling. The wobbling is synchronized with the sound. The bad part is this means taking off the head unit again.

The last shop I went to that installed the belt said if it was the pulley they would only charge me for the part, so I am going to take it there in the morning.

edit:
This is the piece that is wobbling (4PCS016-160): http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/product.php?p=63
Bing go! I would be willing to bet that it has been the cause of all your issues from the start. That wobble would cause the belt to come off and the reason its making noise now would be from the further damage done to it from the belt coming off at speed twice.

Quick Reply: About to go nuts! Another belt thrown. (Novi 2200)