Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How bad is this? Should I replace immediately?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 07:21 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

"Don't fix it if it ain't broke."

Sorry, I just had to...
Old 04-07-2011, 02:59 PM
UltraKla$$ic
3rd Gear Member

No it's not hard to fix. If you're putting new springs on then do it at that time because you have to take that part off anyways. Rent a spring compressor from O'Reilly's and do the job yourself. It's cake.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:56 PM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

You better hope that you don't crash. Cause if you do, and an insurance adjuster investigates your car after the fact, and finds your issue with one of the bolts broken or missing, then kiss your insurance goodbye. They will blame your negligence as the root problem to the accident even though it might have nothing to do with the accident. Insurance look for any out when it comes to liability claims.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:02 PM
SilverHoss
1st Gear Member

Think it would be fine for a few weeks
Old 04-07-2011, 11:08 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

I think I am just going to fix it for now. I was going to just put in caster camber plates and put Ford K springs, or steeda sports, but I would rather just do it right the first time with the suspension and do it all at once (shocks, panhard bar, etc.)
Old 04-08-2011, 01:22 AM
olvanish
3rd Gear Member

The torque on that is 25 lbs/ft on S197, I'm not sure about the 2010+, so in other words you can overdo it even if you don't have a breaker bar. The thing you broke has the same design as a wheel stud and to get it out you're going to have to not only remove the strut mount, which means strut/spring removal and spring compression, but also take it apart which I don't even think can be done, but I could be wrong. To give you a better idea I included a picture of S197 strut mount. And yes, you can drive it and take corners just like you used to without having to worry about anything falling off, but when you do get new springs make sure you replace it. The reason why I say this is my familiarity with physics. The torque on those bolts is low for a reason and the reason is that the whole front end is pretty much sitting on that strut mount and therefore presses it down-- the 4 nuts only have the purpose of keeping it in place and preventing it from popping out of where it should be. If you don't go over any huge bumps at the speed you're not supposed to do it at and don't run into 1 foot deep dips then no you have nothing to worry about since both tires stay on the ground. Think about it-- the studs are pointing upwards and therefore to put pressure on them you have to either put the body up or the front suspension down-- not sideways.
Dammit-- forgot to add the picture. And I'll remind you again-- watch out for major bumps or dips, your front suspension won't fall off if you hit a few but don't go offroadin either
Attached Thumbnails How bad is this? Should I replace immediately?-strut-mount.jpg  

Last edited by olvanish; 04-08-2011 at 01:35 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:31 AM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by howarmat
quit being an idiot and get a good torq wrench...smh
LOL..
Old 04-08-2011, 03:37 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

When something happens with my car I make it a point to fix it
IMMEDIATELY or as soon as possible.

It's just good practice and a good habit to get into.
Procrastination is something that tends to grow.
Once you do it the more you do it and the longer you go when doing it.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:16 AM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

Think of it like your pinky finger, you never use it. But if it was gone, your hand wont feel right.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:09 AM
allinon72
2nd Gear Member

Use this opportunity to get camber plates, or if you must get stock replacements, get the GT500 mounts.

Quick Reply: How bad is this? Should I replace immediately?