Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle response way to high, causes lag & gears to clank.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:51 AM
05slpGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Those are pedal position %, right?

You may need to see how the throttle plate moves with respect to pedal motion, not just whether or not it ends up at (say) 50% when you stop the pedal at that point. Does it still follow your foot when you open from 1/4 to 1/2 like it should when you go from 1/4 to 1/2 slowly, or does it "jump ahead of you"? What about between other pedal %?

Norm
Yes those are pedal position %. I will check out the throttle plate, i think i know what to look for. and it doesnt seem to follow my foot. it seems to just jump anytime i just barely touch the throttle. im about to just go out there and set up 2 cameras, video of inside the car and a video the gas pedal and start driving around, lol.
Heres an example, say im just cruising down the road, not trying to haul *** or anything. driving in (these arent real exact numbers) 3rd gear at about 40MPH at about 3k RPMs, hell even 4th gear, even when i am just trying to drive chill and i slowly let off the gas to decelerate by 5mph, the car will act like i just let off at 5k RPM and jerk foward and backwards and you will hear a clank noise, now at this low of a speed (40mph)its not like slamming the breaks, but its def uncomfortable especially for passengers and i know the car shouldnt be doing this because a buddy of mine who has the almost identical mods in an 06 GT drove my car and let me drive his and we both agreed there was something wrong.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:01 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Fuel cut issue?
Cam phasers doing something wonky?

Norm
Old 04-11-2011, 04:55 PM
05slpGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Fuel cut issue?
Cam phasers doing something wonky?

Norm
You just reminded me, a couple years back i kept getting a code that read Camshaft position sensor and every time i took it into a shop it would have gone away by then and the car didnt really show any major problems. Not sure if that could have anything to do with my problem, but thats why im on the forum.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:54 PM
05slpGT
3rd Gear Member

So... it turns out that the throttle body was messed up, getting barely any power. But it wasnt because the throttle body was bad... its because the battery was bad. It was like a 600CCA battery (not the stock one) and it couldnt handle the electronics in my car for some reason? And i dont even own subwoofers, just 4 aftermarket speakers and a double din head unit. Anyways, got a 710 or 720 dry battery and the car is driving like it has NEVER driven. When i let off the throttle the car just smoothly revs down. Im not even exaggerating, just changing the battery has made the car drive incredibly better than when i first bought it.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:54 PM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the update, I would have never guessed that a run down battery can cause that. I will probably change mine soon cause i have the stock 590 and i have all kinds of amps and subs.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:57 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Nor I. My experience with weak batteries and/or dead/dying alternators is that when the system voltage drops down under about 9v the injectors don't fire at all and you can't even start the thing.

Thanks. Something to file away for future reference.

Norm
Old 04-29-2011, 06:21 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

I've had a similar problem with just strangeness in the car. The radio would act all bizarre about 2 yrs into the stock battery. Swapped in I believe like a 750 or 770 and all was well.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:24 AM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

Not talking about you, but what kills me is when you see people post on here "hey, just jumped off my car cause my battery was dead and I'm wondering why it's running rough". "It ran fine when I started it 3 weeks ago". LOL. Duh.....engine electronics need stable voltage to operate properly and ya ain't gonna get that from a dead battery that's just been jumped off. I just got to the point where I don't even help with those threads anymore lol. ALWAYS load test your battery first before anything else. Basic law of electrical troubleshooting.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:03 PM
7gtthrilla
2nd Gear Member

Wow that's crazy! Who knew. I might invest in a bigger battery now that i know this. Thanks

Last edited by 7gtthrilla; 04-29-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:11 PM
bigblue95z
2nd Gear Member

Have you tried the throttle recalibration. It's in a thread around here somewhere. I haven't read the whole thread so maybe someone has mentioned it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Throttle response way to high, causes lag & gears to clank.