Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission gear whine?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 10:38 PM
PSUSkier
2nd Gear Member

Default Transmission gear whine?

So I'm trying to figure out if this is a problem or not. I finally got a new transmission installed in my car (after about 6 individual rebuilds). This new one though has a relatively light gear whine in 5th gear between 45 and 50 only when you're under very light acceleration (get on the gas really at all and it disappears or if you go above 55 it goes away completely). It's got about 1500 miles on it now so it should be fully broken in at this point. I don't mind the noise given the exact conditions it shows up, but does gear whine always mean damage is occurring or you'll get a shortened life span out of the tranny?
Old 04-09-2011, 07:47 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Did you have the fluid changed after the break in period? I dont know if you have to on a tranny or not. I didnt know you were supposed to on a diff gear swap, but apparently you are supposed to!
Old 04-09-2011, 09:19 AM
PSUSkier
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
Did you have the fluid changed after the break in period? I dont know if you have to on a tranny or not. I didnt know you were supposed to on a diff gear swap, but apparently you are supposed to!
Nope, I didn't do a fluid swap, but I don't believe that is the root of the issue as the whine was there from mile 1. Though I'll certainly keep that in mind. Thanks!
Old 04-09-2011, 12:14 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Edit: didn't read the post the whole way through.

Last edited by 92hatchLX; 04-09-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:29 PM
PSUSkier
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 92hatchLX
It's either a helical cut gear (doubt it) or the gears aren't quite meshing or something is going on with the other mechanics associated with that gear. Why soo many rebuilds and who is doing them?
Well there were so many rebuilds because Ford was being a dick about replacing it and the one I had in there before was just faulty through and through. But at least three different dealerships had their hands in it (I moved once, another time the dealership freaked out about the hurst shifter I once had and finally the last dealership who couldn't fix it and finally replaced it). I've taken it to two different dealerships today and didn't tell them anything about visiting the others and both said they didn't think it was necessarily anything wrong so I feel a lot more confident now than before. In reality I don't want anyone's hands in this new transmission unless absolutely necessary.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:59 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

I'm wondering if this would qualify as a lemon? I would take it back and tell them that it is whining.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:47 PM
PSUSkier
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 92hatchLX
I'm wondering if this would qualify as a lemon? I would take it back and tell them that it is whining.
Yeah I did that... It wasn't severe enough to act on. What I did do though is get it in writing at the other dealerships that the problem does exist in a minor form but at the time they don't think its an issue -- so that way if it gets worse I have something to fall back on. For what it's worth though, don't go to Keith Hawthorne Ford of Charlotte at any time. They also forgot to install one of the bell housing bolts that secures the plate behind the flywheel.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:37 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

I'd be careful on depending on that documentation you have too much. Any documentation you have may help if you have to prove something in court if you file a claim while you're under warranty, but once you're out of warranty, Im sure that documentation isnt going to serve any purpose whatsoever. Keep an eye on the color of the transmission fluid to make sure it's not overheating, etc...but I agree with a previous poster that you might try to do something if you are covered under a lemon law.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:02 AM
PSUSkier
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
I'd be careful on depending on that documentation you have too much. Any documentation you have may help if you have to prove something in court if you file a claim while you're under warranty, but once you're out of warranty, Im sure that documentation isnt going to serve any purpose whatsoever. Keep an eye on the color of the transmission fluid to make sure it's not overheating, etc...but I agree with a previous poster that you might try to do something if you are covered under a lemon law.
I talked to a couple of lawyers about that but even though the first problem did happen under the required mileage in North Carolina, they said that likely it wouldn't be successful as the car had ~51k on the odometer at the time.

I have just under another 20k miles left in the warranty though (including the PremiumCare) so I just wanted documentation so that way if I do some mods to the drive train I have a bit more to stand on.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:22 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PSUSkier
I talked to a couple of lawyers about that but even though the first problem did happen under the required mileage in North Carolina, they said that likely it wouldn't be successful as the car had ~51k on the odometer at the time.

I have just under another 20k miles left in the warranty though (including the PremiumCare) so I just wanted documentation so that way if I do some mods to the drive train I have a bit more to stand on.
Their likely right. However, if you threaten to take them to small claims court with your documentation, you might get lucky. After all, that premiumcare aint cheap!

Quick Reply: Transmission gear whine?