Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need New Tires. Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 03:00 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

My '06 Pony still has the stock, all season (M&S rated if you can believe that) Pirelli P-Zero Neros which seemed heads better than the stock BFG KDW's that came on my GT. However, it's tough to compare since I couldn't put as much power to the Pirelli's. My g/f drives the Pony and she has a lead foot and she loves those Pirelli's. When she needs tires I will consider the Pirelli's again. I, on the other hand, put wider rubber in a Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on the GT and she bites a heck of a lot better than the stock BFG's.

There are quite a few summer tires that should still provide good grip above 50 degrees. I've heard quite a few complaints from folks having the back-ends coming around while driving aggressively in temps below that.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:21 PM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Damn, I thought it was about to get good. Nuke your slippin...lol.
Op your post was alittle vague in nature, and Nuke was probing like only my man can. You did ask for help only to dismiss help when all that was being asked is more info to help...right? Doesn't exactly make you a saint, now does it?

Me...I got a simple solution to this one.

Budget minded: Nitto 555's
To hell with the cost minded: BFG G-Force.

I have the 555's in a staggered setup and have had no problems with grip in temps into the low 40's with normal driving. Good tire for the money, but if you want the best it seems to be the BFG's. No experience with the toyo's so I can't help with those.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:40 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Do NOT get Goodyear F1 Supercar's. Terrible tire. Does not grip and wears out very quickly.

I need new tires also, and I'm considering Riken Raptors. They are cheap, and I read many good reviews. I'm anxious to get my stock 17" bullitts off and run my 18" bullitts again.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:21 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

I just bought the 18 inch black Bullit deep dish wheel/tire package from AM, they come with 255/45 NT555's on them, I'm anxious to see how they turn out, I'll let you know should have them on Friday.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:28 PM
bterry29
1st Gear Member

I put Goodyear Eagle GT's on my 06 GT about 2000 miles ago. I don't drive the stang in the winter and try not to in the rain so I can't speak to wet traction. They do hug the road well and provide a smooth ride on dry pavement. I had the BFG KDW's on a former stang and was not impressed.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:41 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. Love 'em.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:05 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

where were all you Nitto enthusiasts a few weeks ago?
no Falken supporters?

Nitto 555's are what i have on both my Mustangs.
they are a good all around street tire. idk how they do in the cold since it doesn't get cold where i live.
Nitto, Toyo, BFG, Hankook, Bridgestone. all good tires with DD or performance tires.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:54 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mayo
Damn, I thought it was about to get good. Nuke your slippin...lol...
Nah, just mellow. Besides, if you read my posts you'll see that I was being a good boy and trying to help (in my own way) and the OP simply mistook my intentions.

All of the forum feedback is great but it's always good to do a little research on your own. The survey data on sites such as tirerack, although still skewed to some extent, is an excellent tool to help make comparisons. Unfortunately, they don't carry some of those tires mentioned above. We all want the best bang-for-our-buck and there are a lot of excellent tires out there.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:26 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
where were all you Nitto enthusiasts a few weeks ago?
no Falken supporters?
lol...I remember that one. Man I dropped the ball on that thread, and failed to represent....my bad

Rick I hear ya...seemed like op was gettin fluffed up about nothing to me, so idon't know. ya know??
OP this is for you man

Last edited by mayo; 04-13-2011 at 07:34 AM.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:52 AM
MustangMan1718
1st Gear Member

I've been looking into the Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500 tires to replace the worn Pirellis that came on the set of wheels I just recently got off of Craigslist. Has anyone had any experiences with them? According to Tire Rack, it has an 8.9 reviewers' rating (which I haven't come across anything higher in my 235/55/17 category) and is only $9 more than I was looking to pay per tire. Seems like a solid choice so far, but I haven't seen anyone talk about them at all.

Quick Reply: Need New Tires. Suggestions?