Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Cobra or GT
Termi
65.96%
GT
34.04%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Termi or my 06 gt?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 10:01 PM
06gtdamon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bakerjd
I wouldn't buy a car with more than 40,000...just my thoughts
my car now had 55,000 when i bought it exactly a year ago. I put about 9000 miles a year on my cars. Just driving to town and back everyday from home. Which we are rebuilding our business closer to us, so I'll barely be putting any miles on my car at all after we build it.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:18 PM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

You have a beautiful car with fairly low miles that i'm sure will go for many more before needing any repairs. Its hard to say what you should do, but cars with many miles and previous owners scare the hell out of me. I think you should keep the GT and make a termi your after college dream when you can actually find one with low miles that you will 100% feel good about buying. This wont be the last termi and a chance for you to buy one.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:21 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Dude stick with that you have. I'm in the same boat as you being 17 and I always want more than what I have now, but I've learned to deal with it. With 73k miles that cobra wont last much longer IMO, cause c'mon who drives a cobra nicely?? I got my car as a demo with 4k miles and I was pissed cause I knew someone had gotten on the car before I did. My next car I want brand spankin new with lowest miles possible. Save your money and get a 5.0 when you get outta college. Thats what I plan on doing. Just my 02
Old 04-18-2011, 05:05 AM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by grabber blue gt
Dude stick with that you have. I'm in the same boat as you being 17 and I always want more than what I have now, but I've learned to deal with it. With 73k miles that cobra wont last much longer IMO, cause c'mon who drives a cobra nicely?? I got my car as a demo with 4k miles and I was pissed cause I knew someone had gotten on the car before I did. My next car I want brand spankin new with lowest miles possible. Save your money and get a 5.0 when you get outta college. Thats what I plan on doing. Just my 02
+1 Think about it, if a camaro pulled up next to you in a cobra, what would you do? Now do 73,000 miles of that. These cars aren't honda civics that last 200,000+ miles, their performance cars that get raced and driven hard. Keep what you have and get a 5.0 or a gt500 when you get out. Or when you get out get a termi and a DD. That way your not putting a lot of miles on it and if it breaks you can still get around.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:35 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Are you guys being serious when you say the car has 'too many miles' & 'wont last much longer'? Because that sounds like poo poo.

If you want to know if that would be 'too many miles' on that Terminator, asking people about it in the s197 forum is not the way to do it. Do you own research and ask a different, more appropriate section (who cares if you ask SVT & they 'eat you alive' if you do not get one?).

I'm sure your current 06 GT is a nice car, but I would also consider a Terminator as well. Go check out that Cobra and test drive it.

Last edited by 99GTvert; 04-18-2011 at 05:39 AM.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:54 AM
rydeordie
3rd Gear Member

+ 1 73,000 miles is not a lot miles for a car. But you wanted advice so here it is - I say leave the Termi alone since it will be your DD. I say that only cuz ur in college and the gas prices are doing nothing but going up. Secondly, it's no way my 18 year old will be driving a Termi. I'll be darned if I'm paying insurance for him to drive a Cobra at that age. That's trouble written all over it.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:08 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

73,000 miles a quarter mile at a time!! Somebody had to say it!!! LOL

I say no, too many miles and yes it was beaten on, its a termi for Gods sake, not some only driven to church on Sundays car. Do you have the $ at age 18 to afford a rebuild? Second, its a vert....ie no security. People suck, they will cut right through that top and steal whatever you have inside. Third, the top might leak cause the car is old, and I just cant stand verts. The Cobra looks way better in a coupe IMO.
I think your better off keeping your car as it looks great. If you want more power bolt on a supercharger to your 06.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:28 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle

I say no, too many miles and yes it was beaten on, its a termi for Gods sake, not some only driven to church on Sundays car. Do you have the $ at age 18 to afford a rebuild? Second, its a vert....ie no security. People suck, they will cut right through that top and steal whatever you have inside. Third, the top might leak cause the car is old, and I just cant stand verts. The Cobra looks way better in a coupe IMO.
I think your better off keeping your car as it looks great. If you want more power bolt on a supercharger to your 06.
I have to agree with this
Old 04-18-2011, 08:26 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

If you have a little extra money, I'd recommend taking the 03 to a trusted mechanic and have them go through an inspection. If the current owner balks at that, then you can be pretty certain that the car has some problems. As for everyone's claims that its been beaten on hard and put up wet, they dont know what they are talking about. The only person who really knows how that vehicle has been treated is the current and any previous owners. If the current is the original owner, I'd have slightly more confidence then if they were not. I also believe that if its something you really want, you should do what you want. You are 18 and kind of stupid (dont take offense, but 18 is far in my rear view) so now you're reachin the time in your life where you wont be able to make stupid mistakes that often...so make em now. Last piece of advice, make sure you get an insurance quote before you do anything. Insurance on that car may be significantly higher and could put a big damper on your plans.

But if at 18 I had the chance to get my dream car, you can bet your @doubledollar signs I would have been driving it.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:13 AM
06gtdamon
2nd Gear Member

I really apppreciate everyones opinions. The dealer with this Cobra has yet to email me back, so I'll call them soon. I'm going to keep looking for a cobra and keep an eye out for a good deal. Insurance wouldn't be a problem.
I may keep looking for a coupe.

Quick Reply: Termi or my 06 gt?