Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heel/toe shifting imprvement

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 04:03 PM
Gidyupp
1st Gear Member

Default Heel/toe shifting improvement

Trying to figure out how to improve the heel / toe suitability of my ’11 GT for (twisty) track duty. I’ve read a lot of posts where people find the pedals too far apart, but I don’t have a problem with that. My issue is that the brake pedal seems too low in relation to the gas pedal. I’ve also seen posts where people complain of the brake pedal being too high, not sure what’s up with that. I think a lot of the posts relate to older models with a different pedal box.
It would be a simple matter to raise the brake pedal, but I already have leg room issues. I’d rather lower the gas pedal. I need to take a look this weekend to see what the options are. I was thinking that shimming under the top gas pedal mounting bolts might tilt the whole assembly downward, but not sure that would help.

Anyone dealt with this before?

Last edited by Gidyupp; 04-25-2011 at 04:22 AM. Reason: had it backwards
Old 04-24-2011, 07:59 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

In my 07 I don't find the brake pedal to high. On the track you press the pedal so much harder than you ever do on the street that its actually positioned very well. The way I do the heel-toe is put the left half of the ball of my foot on the brake and then rock my foot to the right to stab the gas. Doing it this way, the only issue I have is the distance between the brake and gas pedals. I mounted an aluminum pedal cover that makes the brake pedal about 1/2" wider on the right side and find it just perfect. When I use a different technique - putting the full ball of my foot on the brake and the stabbing the gas with my heel, I don't think you need any changes. I have no idea if the 11 has different pedals though.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:05 PM
murry
1st Gear Member

Default heel and toe

Originally Posted by Argonaut
In my 07 I don't find the brake pedal to high. On the track you press the pedal so much harder than you ever do on the street that its actually positioned very well. The way I do the heel-toe is put the left half of the ball of my foot on the brake and then rock my foot to the right to stab the gas. Doing it this way, the only issue I have is the distance between the brake and gas pedals. I mounted an aluminum pedal cover that makes the brake pedal about 1/2" wider on the right side and find it just perfect. When I use a different technique - putting the full ball of my foot on the brake and the stabbing the gas with my heel, I don't think you need any changes. I have no idea if the 11 has different pedals though.
Interesting. I have given up heel and toe in my 07. Two reasons: one, the brake pedal travel is to great. By the time you get on the brakes hard it is too low in relation to the gas pedal to blip the gas.

I prefer the ball of foot on brake, and rock foot to hit gas method.
Two: the throttle is so unresponsive that even forgetting about the brake, If I just try to blip the gas pedal for a downshift...you can't. You have to hold it for about a half second(?) before the revs pick up.

Is your's not like that?
Old 04-24-2011, 10:20 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Most tuning packages recalibrate the drive by wire throttle so that it is easy to rev-match. Bama makes theirs really sensitive which is nice.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:38 AM
Gidyupp
1st Gear Member

Argonaut, Sorry, I had the first part of my post written backwards; I meant the brake pedal was too low, thus the talk of shimming the brake in the second half. I fixed the OP.
Anyway, yes when hard on the brakes is when I have the issue. I use the ball of the foot on both pedals method and if I'm on on the binders hard, I need to roll my right knee hard to the left or else I'd uncontrollably rev the engine.
I spoke with Bama and they gave me a new tune that uses more (all) of the mechanical pedal travel, that helped a little.

Turn one of my home track demands a HT shift as you go from a 100mph straight into a second gear corner.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:51 AM
Gidyupp
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by murry
Interesting. I have given up heel and toe in my 07. Two reasons: one, the brake pedal travel is to great. By the time you get on the brakes hard it is too low in relation to the gas pedal to blip the gas.

Two: the throttle is so unresponsive that even forgetting about the brake, If I just try to blip the gas pedal for a downshift...you can't. You have to hold it for about a half second(?) before the revs pick up.

Is your's not like that?
I use the same method, in fact, unless It's an emergency braking situation, I always cover both pedals every time I brake.
A tune helps the throttle response, but you still have to adapt to the lag. It takes a big "blip" to get it done.

Originally Posted by jahudso2
Most tuning packages recalibrate the drive by wire throttle so that it is easy to rev-match. Bama makes theirs really sensitive which is nice.
I have the Bama, and it helped but still not fast enough. The side effect was that the race tune artificially raised the the pedal travel in relation to the brake. They wrote me a new tune to compensate. The other problem is the dashpot function, where the engine takes a long time to coast down. Apparently the speed at which the throttle plate closes is not adjustable via the tune. My motor take almost 4 seconds to coast down from 3500 RPM to idle.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:33 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by murry

Is your's not like that?
I agree about the stock tune - the throttle lag is horrible. I have a Brenspeed tune and it has perfect response. I also have Dot 4 fluid, SS lines and frequently use track pads, thus perhaps my pedal is a lot harder to begin with.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:44 AM
Gidyupp
1st Gear Member

I agree about the stock tune - the throttle lag is horrible. I have a Brenspeed tune and it has perfect response. I also have Dot 4 fluid, SS lines and frequently use track pads, thus perhaps my pedal is a lot harder to begin with.
I'm curious to see how the car does on the track. I just got it during the winter and haven't had it out yet. I went with the factory Brembo option, still trying to find some track pads for it. I'm crossing my fingers that the provided Brembos are decent for track duty and not just for show.

I missed the first track session this spring as I want to get a roll bar, seats and harnesses installed first. I did not have them in my BMW that I used before, but this car will be significantly faster. Not that I'm expecting problems, but s**t happens. I've been watching too many you tube videos of HPDEs gone wrong.