Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A question about driving a stick shift mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 01:48 AM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

When I'm down shifting I push in the clutch and put the shifter almost engaged until it just slides into gear. It should do it pretty much on its own at the right RPMs.

@ OP, I know when I got my first manual car ('96 Eclipse) I was cussing my dad. I could not understand why he felt the need to get me a manual for my first car. Then after I started learning to drive it (It took AWHILE) I hated that damn car and wanted an auto Mustang, but since I learned to drive a manual I was confident enough to buy the Mustang in a manual. You will not regret it. And I think its bad *** you wanted to get a manual even though you know it will take some work.

It will take time and you will get pissed off, but in the end a manual is a blast and will become 2nd nature to you. Be ready, after this there is a good chance you will not want another auto. Have fun.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:58 AM
09cs
5th Gear Member

I didn't know how to drive a manual but I wasn't going to leave the lot without a manual car lol. Now that I know it's second nature.

The way my dad taught me on a hill was parked me in the middle of the biggest hill in my neighborhood, stood about 3-5 feet behind the car and said "don't spin the tires and don't hit me" pretty much lol.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:00 AM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Originally Posted by 09cs
I didn't know how to drive a manual but I wasn't going to leave the lot without a manual car lol. Now that I know it's second nature.

The way my dad taught me on a hill was parked me in the middle of the biggest hill in my neighborhood, stood about 3-5 feet behind the car and said "don't spin the tires and don't hit me" pretty much lol.
Lmao! He must have had some faith in you or really quick reflexes.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:38 AM
madmann26
2nd Gear Member

It's takes practice. We can tell you how it is supposed to be done, but honestly, every car/truck is different and you just have to get a feel for it.

Just be careful. The last thing you want to do is glaze the clutch.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:23 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Bape
but it's the concept of downshifting that eludes me. From my understanding you have to brake slightly and wait for your rpms to lower to downshift from a gear. When exactly is the appropriate times to downshift?
You downshift when the gear that you're in is either lugging the engine or at least is not capable of providing whatever amount of acceleration that you need at the moment.

On downshifting, the lower gear that you're going into will require the engine to be running at higher revs (not lower), so it's actually good practice to give the throttle a little 'kick' as you're going through the neutral gate with the shifter. Only if you're starting to lug the engine will the engine rpms rise without doing this. Note that this isn't true 'double-clutching' - that's a slightly more advanced technique that can wait a bit.

Eventually, you may find it useful to downshift before you enter a corner that's "too slow" for the gear that you're in as you're coming up on it. Or for a highway on-ramp where you know you'll need to accelerate on the way out of it, anticipate this need by getting your downshift over and done with before you get busy with braking, steering, and watching for a gap in traffic on the main road to merge into.

I thought the OC would be interested in this as well.
Mostly, all of this stuff just takes practice. It may help some people to find an illustrated discussion of how clutches work, just to be able to relate what you feel through your left foot to what is happening down there inside the bellhousing.

Which reminds me - wear the softest, most flexible soled footwear that you own when you're just starting to learn this. No thick-soled shoes. Trying to learn clutch "feel" with heavy boots or other clunky shoes is a little like trying to pick dimes off of the sidewalk wearing welding gloves. The fine sense of touch that you need just isn't there.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 04-25-2011 at 06:38 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:32 AM
Gidyupp
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tanner05

@ OP, I know when I got my first manual car ('96 Eclipse) I was cussing my dad. I could not understand why he felt the need to get me a manual for my first car.
When both of our kids got their license we made them learn stick. My daughter protested but was told that if she wanted her license, she would have to learn. Like swimming, I believe not knowing how to drive a standard is not an option.
We started them on auto at first, so they could learn the basics of navigating traffic without the complications of shifting, but then moved to the manual.
Now that they know, they are glad they did it.

I find it sad that half the population can't drive a stick (no disrespect to those that can't). Unfortunately, I think in 10 years, it will be very hard to buy a true manual transmission car. Manu-matic mode doesn't count. Just continuing our steady march towards letting the machines do everything.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:49 AM
MustangFTW

correct me if im wrong but cant you just release the clutch while in first without hitting the gas to move forward slowly?

im also going to be buying a manual transmission car soon too.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:58 AM
GTjoe49
2nd Gear Member

OP, the last thing you need to worry about is stalling your car...it happens.
I have been driving manuals since 1968. During my test drive on a new (2010) Mustang, I stalled her while pulling out of the lot. Embarassing? yes. Fatal..no. You will stall, just remember to take your time and you will be OK. Within a few weeks, you'll wonder why you were ever concerned about it.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:04 AM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

I have stalled my '12 out about 7 or 8 times - half of them were in the first 50 miles of owning the car. I knew how to drive a stick, but every one's different - and it had been a long while since I drove one. You're gonna stall the car - it's inevitable. Just acecpt it and move on.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:35 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangFTW
correct me if im wrong but cant you just release the clutch while in first without hitting the gas to move forward slowly?
Possible? Sure. But in the beginning you won't have the feel, timing, or coordination to pull it off except accidentally. No flame intended.

Norm

Quick Reply: A question about driving a stick shift mustang GT