Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A question about driving a stick shift mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 07:41 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

It's all about matching revs to what the road speed and transmission gearing require. On a normal lift-throttle upshift, the engine revs drop, which is what the next gear up wants to see happening. When you downshift, everything works the other way around. The lower gear needs more engine revs, and when you want to have more engine revs there's only one way I know of to make that happen (DSG transmissions and electronically achieved throttle-blipping being disregarded for the purposes of this thread).

Norm
Old 04-27-2011, 09:37 AM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

If you get a chance to hit an open parking lot to practice, it would be a good idea. Follow that up with an uphill practice procedure where you attempt to climb the hill without using your gas pedal. I use the same practice methods to maneuver my Harley at precision bike shows and cone work. The clutch should do the majority of the work and you don’t really need gas to initially move the car if you time it right. If you hear a loud engine rev noise and it does not correspond with your vehicle speed. That is an indication that your clutch is burning up. I hope that makes sense

My brother bought a new Audi R8, and before driving it, I took it to an open parking lot to see how the clutch engages and disengages. I followed that up with the uphill down hill thing to so I don’t have to use gas from stand still and so that I can time it perfectly. Once you get good at it, then everything is a breeze going from simply gearing up and down to double clutching and heel to toe footwork. Its all about seat time and practice practice practice

My recommendation is use your brakes to slow down because it’s cheaper to replace than a transmission. Unless you’re in an emergency they you can use all the above.

Sometimes i drive in my wifes automatic and when i get i, i push with my left foot as if there is a clutch there. What a dumb a s s i am.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:58 PM
STANGNWV4

practice and you'll get it and not think twice about it one day. i drive diesel trucks all the time with manual transmission and stalled out the mustang i just bought driving it off the sidewalk in front of the show room in front of probably 10 people... i felt like a dumbarse but it happens.....good luck.

i think its good you admit to it and ask questions....don't know too many people that would admit they can't drive a stick. in my opinion everyone should know how to operate a manual transmission, kinda like everyone should know how to ride a bike.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:55 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

burn up that clutch yet?