Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A question about driving a stick shift mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 08:13 PM
Will3212
1st Gear Member

Default A question about driving a stick shift mustang GT

I'm going to make a purchase for a 2011 mustang gt premium coupe stick in about a week from my friend's dealer. This is going to be my first stick shift car. My question is, when you are taking off from a stop is it better to give it a little gas - then release clutch slowly to get moving OR is it better to release clutch to engagement point - then give it a little gas and release clutch slowly. Which is better or is it the same thing? please also tell me why it's better like is it because of less wear on the clutch or what
Old 04-24-2011, 09:02 PM
TheYeti
2nd Gear Member

honestly, I just give it gas and release the clutch. When driving day to day, I dont think about it too much. It pretty much has become second nature and I just do it.

One thing you will want to avoid is riding the clutch because that will burn out the clutch fast. I know someone that did that in their car and needed a new clutch after only 40k miles...
Old 04-24-2011, 09:11 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Until you get used to the clutch and gas timing.....you give it a bit more gas than you would think it should have as you bring the clutch pedal to the friction (engagement) point and slowly release the clutch all the way out as the car moves.

The timing of this will improve with your experience to the point of it being almost perfect....until you blow it and kill the car....lol

Be careful on inclines as the car will roll backwards once the brake pedal is released and the clutch has not reached the friction point.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:43 PM
Will3212
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AzPete
Until you get used to the clutch and gas timing.....you give it a bit more gas than you would think it should have as you bring the clutch pedal to the friction (engagement) point and slowly release the clutch all the way out as the car moves.

The timing of this will improve with your experience to the point of it being almost perfect....until you blow it and kill the car....lol

Be careful on inclines as the car will roll backwards once the brake pedal is released and the clutch has not reached the friction point.
when you're starting on a hill do you think it's better to use the handbrake or just hold the brake - get to the engagement point with the clutch - then just release brake give it gas and release clutch slowly?
Old 04-24-2011, 09:52 PM
Owen67
1st Gear Member

Have you ever driven a manual transmission car or truck?
Old 04-24-2011, 09:54 PM
Will3212
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Owen67
Have you ever driven a manual transmission car or truck?
i driven a manual car twice in my life. about 1 hour each. So i'm still new at it. i'm just looking for some tips with driving the mustang gt stick. I don't want to mess it up first thing driving home from the dealer or stall out my first time driving it
Old 04-24-2011, 10:01 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

The emergency brake trick works but I would go to an empty lot with a hill and use it to practice so when in traffic, you can start on a hill without the emergency brake.

Also, when on a hill, allow the car in front of you to pull away a bit, then you can actually release the clutch and if you accelerate to much, you will not rearend the one in front.....

Way back when I taught my daughter to drive a stick, she had a difficult time mastering the hill start up. I actually had her spinning the tires at first to give her the feeling it takes, then toned down her gas/clutch use
Old 04-25-2011, 12:11 AM
Owen67
1st Gear Member

Well you're gonna shut it off. There's really no getting around that. It'll take you shutting it off several times to get good at it. Just remember that it's a learning experience and try to stay away from hills for a while. Definitely go to a parking lot or drive around the block. Mustangs are really fast, so coming off the clutch a little too quickly will spin your wheels lol (Not that there is anything wrong with that haha)

Generally when I'm pulling off, especially uphill, I start padding the gas on and off. Not enough to steadily increase the idle, but basically slightly revving the motor over and over again. That way when I begin to ease off the clutch it doesn't shut off, but I don't roll backwards or spin a wheel either. Smooth takeoff You'll feel the clutch when it starts to let you move! Good luck and congrats on the Stang! You'll LOVE it
Old 04-25-2011, 12:23 AM
TheYeti
2nd Gear Member

yeah just take your time and be patient. The more you do it, the better you'll get at it. If you can, avoid hills until you get the hang of it on flat pavement. Try to spend as much time practicing as you can on side streets or empty parking lots.

It will most likely be frustrating at first but once you get the hang of it, its so much better then driving auto.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:09 AM
Mr.Bape
4th Gear Member

Not to derail the thread, but I wanted to ask a question and figured to piggyback on this thread since I was going to create one with a similar title. Now I have pretty much gotten the hang of shifting gears or whatnot, but it's the concept of downshifting that eludes me. From my understanding you have to brake slightly and wait for your rpms to lower to downshift from a gear? When exactly is the appropriate times to downshift? I thought the OC would be interested in this as well.

Quick Reply: A question about driving a stick shift mustang GT