Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a New Mustang vs Used Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 07:23 AM
FastBreak
1st Gear Member

Default Buying a New Mustang vs Used Corvette

I'm in the market for a new car. When I say "new" I mean new to me. I'm still wishy-washy, but I'm willing to spend about $30k and I'm considering a new Mustang GT or a used C6 Corvette. I've test driven both, and they are both great cars.

Mustang Pro's:
  • seats 4 (sort of) - I have two small kids so this makes me feel a little less guilty than buying a 2-seater 'Vette
  • reliability - I feel reasonably confident I could drive the car several years before needing to lay out any significant amounts of money for maintenance or repair
  • convenience - it's pretty easy to find a "good deal" and trade my current sedan in (more on this later)
  • know exactly what I'm getting - no hiding bad titles, accidents, engine problems, etc. Buying a used car is a little more risky and tricky.
  • Order exactly what I want - no searching for the right deal on the the features or package I want, I just check the boxes and get exactly the options I want

Mustang Con's:
  • Reputation - this is hard to define. I don't want to sound like a snob, I'm not. But a corvette has a bit more of a reputation than a stang.
  • Exclusivity - there aren't any v6 C6 vettes running around. There are fewer vette's on the road period, so the vette will always have a certain edge over the mustang on exclusivity.
  • Performance - power to weight ratio always predicts performance. The base c6 is 400 in '05-'07, and 430-436hp in '08+. It weighs a bit less than the Mustang, so realistically the vette is going to edge the mustang out. This will be my daily driver (I've got another car in the garage that I do a bit of racing with), so this isn't critical, just another factor.
  • Resale value - a used C6 has already taken it's largest hit on depreciation. Total cost to own would probably be lower with the corvette, depending on repair costs.

I have a local dealer who's agreed to order the car I want for $29,500:
  • base GT
  • race red ext
  • charcoal cloth int
  • 6 speed manual
  • brembo upgrade
  • 3.73 rear

Is this a good deal? This is the best deal I've been able to find. We are still haggling over trade-in value of my current sedan. I've agreed to pay cash for the difference (no financing).

To get an '08 or newer C6 (with the larger 6.2L engine), it's going to cost me $32k-$38k. This is a bit over my budget. I could step down to an '05 or '06 and pay maybe $25k. In order to get these kind of deals, I may have to take a color or trim level that isn't exactly what I want, and I may have to buy from an individual rather than a dealership. If I buy from an individual, that means I have to sell my current ride myself, which isn't terribly convenient.

Any thoughts, opinions, feedback, etc is welcome. Or if you prefer you can just post some photos of your wives and girlfriends on your new Mustangs, and we'll forget all about my post
Old 04-29-2011, 07:33 AM
MustangRSG
1st Gear Member

Buy the Mustang because of the kids and it sounds like it's a daily driver. My kids LOVE riding in Daddy's Pony Car. Car seats (as long as not rear facing) are ok. Mustang is a better daily driver. I even drive it in the snow. Corvette not so much. Save the Vette for when the kids are grown.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:12 AM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

I would not buy the Vette cause the shape will change soon. I believe next year
Old 04-29-2011, 08:26 AM
FastBreak
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JAMAMAN
I would not buy the Vette cause the shape will change soon. I believe next year
Yeah, I think the have a new body style coming out soon. That doesn't worry me too much. I think the current body style is gorgeous. I like the c5 too, I actually owned a c5 z06 for awhile.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:55 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

Exclusivity - there aren't any v6 C6 vettes running around. There are fewer vette's on the road period

Mustang offers excellent value at a price that is affordable to many. Downside is that Ford has been pumping out about 150,000 S197s every year. This is what drives the modding aftermarket for the stang. Many are motivated to make their car stand out in the huge crowd.

Chevrolet produces about 44,000 vettes annually.

The annual average production for Vipers since 2006 is about 900.

Last edited by forensicsteve; 04-29-2011 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:58 AM
Mikado463
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JAMAMAN
I would not buy the Vette cause the shape will change soon.

?????....... not sure what the heck that means......like you wouldn't want a '67 Vette or Stang just because it's an 'older shape' !

Anyways to the OP, tough descisions but if the need to haul the kids is a priority then the answer lies with the Mustang.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:10 AM
FastBreak
1st Gear Member

I should clarify that my wife drives a minivan. I don't really haul the kids around much, even in my current sedan. In the future, if I had a 2-seater and needed to pick more than one of the kids up or take them somewhere, I would just have to swap vehicles with my wife. Having her drive whatever I buy is another topic entirely (don't get me started). We also have a beat up Cherokee for snowy days. So anyway, having 4 seats is more of a convenience than a necessity. And like I said, I feel just a tiny bit selfish and guilty looking at a 2-seater since I'm a "family man" now. Not a big deal, just a factor to consider/weigh.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:11 AM
TheYeti
2nd Gear Member

yeah I would definitely go with the mustang. Of course you'll prob get some bias comments because this is a mustang forum, but having a vette and young kids might be a little tough. Also, the aftermarket world for mustangs is pretty good and it is very expensive to mod vette's.

You will be the only owner of the mustang and know exactly where that car has been and whats been done to it.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:11 AM
Lupo222
2nd Gear Member

Location: Camp Lejeune, North Carolina and Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I think someone got a leg up on me when the posted the picture of the Viper...Get a Viper...02 GTS or so. Extremely exlcusive lol But sucking gas...

If i had to choose between the two, I'd take the vette. But then again, you said its going to be more of a daily driver...and for a daily driver, I'd take the Mustang. I think its more forgiving on the road, fits more people, and will have much more warranty than the Vette.

If you're going to mod it at all, and want performance, get the vette.

However, if it is just a daily driver, why not get a new v6?? They have 300hp with a 6 speed...plenty of performance IMO. I mean, with 300 hp, you're still going to be faster than a large majority of hte cars out there!! With a few bolt ons, you'll be faster than the 4.6s are stock! Just saying... Oh and then you'll have about $10k to put aside for the kiddies future
Old 04-29-2011, 09:23 AM
MustangRSG
1st Gear Member

The Mustang would be more "for the family" then for just "you". My point was that the kids get to enjoy it too. How often would they get to ride in the Vette? We end up driving the Stang over an Enclave because the whole family loves the Pony Car. Would not happen with a Vette.

Quick Reply: Buying a New Mustang vs Used Corvette