Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang...or not?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 11:23 AM
vese

Default Mustang...or not?

I was just curious about a mustang as a first car, I've been saving money to buy a car pretty soon here maybe in the next 6 months and I was looking at used 'stangs but I've heard mixed opinions.
Main things I'm scared of are insurance prices and maintenance. Depending on how old of a mustang I'm going to be buying (oldest being '05 or '06) I could be looking at the v6 or the GT.
Can a veteran mustang owner address my concerns?
Old 05-01-2011, 11:50 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Well I might not be a veteran, but because I too went with a mustang as my first car I think you might not mind hearing from me

To start off, insurance costs are absolutely something to consider. To give you a taste, I'm attached to my parents coverage to cut down on the costs of mine...and my insurance still costs about $1800 a year, albeit pretty comprehensive insurance on my car. I looked into how much it would've been if it were me on my own, and it approximately doubles to $3600 a year. Of course if you get an 05 or 06, that will cut back the costs at least to some extent. Also, I'm 19 years old for reference.

Gas costs should also be on your mind. For me, I don't mind spending the coin on gas because to me driving is a hobby, not a means of transportation. Regardless though, it absolutely gets expensive if you do a whole lot of driving.

Maintenance should be relatively minimal if you find a good used car that runs well and checks out with an independent shop. There's a TSB list on this website of common issues each model year runs into, so take a look there to see what might make or break your purchase.

It's a big acquisition to think about making, and it shouldn't be taken lightly. Can it be done though? Absolutely. If you understand the investment and the costs, and you still feel good about it, you will always have a smile on your face when you go out and hop in your mustang. For me, going mustang has been a great decision.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:00 PM
vese

Originally Posted by pdonket
Well I might not be a veteran, but because I too went with a mustang as my first car I think you might not mind hearing from me

To start off, insurance costs are absolutely something to consider. To give you a taste, I'm attached to my parents coverage to cut down on the costs of mine...and my insurance still costs about $1800 a year, albeit pretty comprehensive insurance on my car. I looked into how much it would've been if it were me on my own, and it approximately doubles to $3600 a year. Of course if you get an 05 or 06, that will cut back the costs at least to some extent. Also, I'm 19 years old for reference.

Gas costs should also be on your mind. For me, I don't mind spending the coin on gas because to me driving is a hobby, not a means of transportation. Regardless though, it absolutely gets expensive if you do a whole lot of driving.

Maintenance should be relatively minimal if you find a good used car that runs well and checks out with an independent shop. There's a TSB list on this website of common issues each model year runs into, so take a look there to see what might make or break your purchase.

It's a big acquisition to think about making, and it shouldn't be taken lightly. Can it be done though? Absolutely. If you understand the investment and the costs, and you still feel good about it, you will always have a smile on your face when you go out and hop in your mustang. For me, going mustang has been a great decision.
Thanks man this helps a ton. Insurance sounds almost better then I would have expected, and I'll try to find that list on issues. Also, whats the MPG look like for you combined? Ive been hearing like 22-23 on the 2010/2011/2012.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:57 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

I'm no veteran either, but I'll give you my perspective:

I'm a 21 year old guy and have an 07 v6. I get 19-20 mpgs and that's with regular spirited driving in the city (I like to shift a little higher in the rpm band then I should) and 65 on highways. Insurance is a bear for guys between the ages of 16 and 25 and that's something you'll have to take into consideration if you'll be making those payments as well.

As far as maintenance goes, my car has never let me down, except for once when a grounding wire came out of contact and caused my car to die on me back in '08. The great things about mustangs is that they're not prissy like corvettes. You hit one bump wrong in a vette and it's a serious dilemma because of it's low ground clearance and touchy sensors (my mom's has had 6 sensors throw off bad codes within a year and a half) where the mustang can take the potholes and elements that come with daily driving.

I say if you've got the funds, get the mustang. You won't regret it.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:28 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

I'm 17 and have a 2006 V6. I pay about 1300 a year for insurance, but I am combined with my parent's. My car usually gets an average of 24mpg and I drive pretty hard, so gas isn't a huge deal. Although it is only a 6, I have alot of fun with it. Generally I have had no maintenance problems except for a battery issue that was taken care of for free.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:28 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by vese
Thanks man this helps a ton. Insurance sounds almost better then I would have expected, and I'll try to find that list on issues. Also, whats the MPG look like for you combined? Ive been hearing like 22-23 on the 2010/2011/2012.
I'd say my ratio of driving is about 70% city, 30% highway, and I'd say my style of driving city is borderline far too aggressive lol. I average about 19.5 mpg, and when I'm actually keeping myself under a bit of control, then it's a solid 22mpg for me.

On the highway I can pull 27mpg when i'm driving the speed limit. Honestly very impressive when I can say I have over 400hp hah.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:41 PM
vese

Originally Posted by MadStang40
I'm no veteran either, but I'll give you my perspective:

I'm a 21 year old guy and have an 07 v6. I get 19-20 mpgs and that's with regular spirited driving in the city (I like to shift a little higher in the rpm band then I should) and 65 on highways. Insurance is a bear for guys between the ages of 16 and 25 and that's something you'll have to take into consideration if you'll be making those payments as well.

As far as maintenance goes, my car has never let me down, except for once when a grounding wire came out of contact and caused my car to die on me back in '08. The great things about mustangs is that they're not prissy like corvettes. You hit one bump wrong in a vette and it's a serious dilemma because of it's low ground clearance and touchy sensors (my mom's has had 6 sensors throw off bad codes within a year and a half) where the mustang can take the potholes and elements that come with daily driving.

I say if you've got the funds, get the mustang. You won't regret it.
Thanks for all the help guys. Pretty set on a mustang just need the right deal now..been looking at motortrend used cars,craigslist and yahoo autos. No spectacular deals yet so I'm still laying off. And MadStang,thats a beautiful v6.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:45 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I am not sure if you can, but if you decide to get a 'Stang, I suggest a '12 or 11, going for a used '11 being the cheaper.

If fuel mileage is a major consideration, these are some of my observations:

In my '11 GT, the 5.0 Coyote gets me about 22 MPG DD with a mix of rush hour and highway driving. On straight freeway, I got as much as 28 MPG on a 100 mile trip one way, but only 24 MPG on the return. An AVG of the advertised 26MPG highway.

If you go for a V6, the 3.7L V6 will get you just a tad over 30MPG highway. A tad over 27 MPG avg rush hour stop and go traffic. Still better than the 5.0L '11 GT, and plenty of power to almost rival the 4.6L V8.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:11 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by vese
Thanks for all the help guys. Pretty set on a mustang just need the right deal now..been looking at motortrend used cars,craigslist and yahoo autos. No spectacular deals yet so I'm still laying off. And MadStang,thats a beautiful v6.
Well thank you sir. And what Jim5.0 said, if at all possible, try and grab an '11 v6 or 5.0 if the money is there. I don't get horrible gas mileage, but the new v6s get way better, and the new 5.0s fuel consumption ratings are nothing short of spectacular considering what's under the hood. Not to mention that I love the look of the current body style... Keep on waiting for the deal, your patience will pay off.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:14 PM
vese

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
I am not sure if you can, but if you decide to get a 'Stang, I suggest a '12 or 11, going for a used '11 being the cheaper.

If fuel mileage is a major consideration, these are some of my observations:

In my '11 GT, the 5.0 Coyote gets me about 22 MPG DD with a mix of rush hour and highway driving. On straight freeway, I got as much as 28 MPG on a 100 mile trip one way, but only 24 MPG on the return. An AVG of the advertised 26MPG highway.

If you go for a V6, the 3.7L V6 will get you just a tad over 30MPG highway. A tad over 27 MPG avg rush hour stop and go traffic. Still better than the 5.0L '11 GT, and plenty of power to almost rival the 4.6L V8.
How is the 2012 v6 better then the '11 GT? Do you just mean by gas mileage? Another subject: Is there any good places other then craigslist, motortrend used vehicles and yahoo autos to find used mustangs?

Quick Reply: Mustang...or not?