Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car simply dying. What is it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 10:23 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I think your user name is scaring the car, lol.

If your SJB got wet, lots of chances that it's the culprit.

Also, simply reflashing your tune or install one if you've not gotten one, could solve this.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:20 AM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Menace
Yesterday I took off all the panels on the passenger side.. I also took off the passenger side cowl and it is bone dry down by the cabin air filter. The little sections where the cowl connects to have all been slopped in sealant from the dealer and only the furthers one to the left has water in it. I might try some compressed air to clear it out (but water is just standing in the hole, so that's telling me it isn't draining anywhere) but I'll give it a try anyway. Bout to run down to the car. I folded back the carpet and it was raining good, so the floorboard should be wet if it's still draining into the car, and might give me a better look to where it's coming in from. We'll seel. Thanks again Jama.
its all good men, lets us know how you make out. its raining like the Amazon here non stop. I fixed my problem long ago, but everytime it rains my stomach turns like crazy cause i think that i might get the same problem again. Hopefully, your issue is poor drainage.

PS: There are two holes in in the engine bay by the cams, one on each side. When the car is cool, stick your finger in there to see if it is clogged as well. Cause i know debris gets stuck in there as well
Old 05-14-2011, 11:47 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Pascal, I tried updating the tune and the result was the same as far as the car dying...

Yesterday it was raining like cats and dogs and I pulled the kickplate and the panel away from the SJB, I also pulled the carpet back to expose the floorboard so that way the carpet couldn't soak everything up...

This is the result.

1st Pic. You can see the obvious water splatter, but you can also see this foam/insulation is soaked.

2nd pic. This is further back you can see the small puddle of water that ran down the floorboard.

3rd pic. Wires coming from outside the car, this seems to be the culprit as far as the entry of water. You can tell what Ford did with the mass of tape to "block" the water. Obviously failing.

4th pic. Just to show the crude forming ontop of the water barrier (aka foam) ontop of the SJB.

5th pic. Some splatter of water even near the speaker. This could have happened when I opened the door, I don't know... but water near speakers I'm sure isn't good either.
Attached Thumbnails Car simply dying. What is it?-20110514103923.jpg   Car simply dying. What is it?-20110514103916.jpg   Car simply dying. What is it?-20110514104114.jpg   Car simply dying. What is it?-20110514104307.jpg   Car simply dying. What is it?-20110514104344.jpg  

Old 05-14-2011, 11:51 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

More pictures.

1st pic. This white box, I'm not sure what it does... but it is completely exposed. I wonder what this controls/junctions/whatever.

2nd pic. See that rust forming?

3rd pic. More rust. I know under the seat the brackets are rusted, and this area is most likely not exposed to any type of water but just moisture in the air or something from being out in the elements... but not nearly as bad as these areas.

4th pic. Pressing down on the padding, and you can tell how soaked it is.

5th pic. Lifting up the padding and you can definitely see the moisture.
Attached Thumbnails Car simply dying. What is it?-20110514104416.jpg   Car simply dying. What is it?-20110514104521.jpg   Car simply dying. What is it?-20110514104600.jpg   Car simply dying. What is it?-20110514104636.jpg   Car simply dying. What is it?-20110514104827.jpg  

Old 05-14-2011, 11:57 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

The pictures were all taken via cellphone so quality isn't the best but you can get a good idea... Seeing everything that was wet/exposed. Is that in anyway related to my "car shutting off" scenario or is it more the fuel system/something else? Also, the clicking sound when moving from defrost to off or a/c. Can the wires short out something, or is there just something that broke within the dash? I haven't the slightest clue how to disassemble that...

and finally. It appears this "patch up job" is where the water is coming in at. The dealer said they took off the fender and sealed every seam/bolt/etc under there... but again how is water still finding its way to this spot???

Thanks guys... any help, of course is appreciated.. and I even got a hold of Dyesha or whoever that comes in the forums but honestly my trust in Ford has gone down the drain. The dealer simply is refusing service after 5 trips (the 6th being the refusal) and wants to refund me saying I need to go to a body shop. It's never been in an accident, 43000 miles, but the Ford Dealer can't fix it... just seems fishy. I took it there at the first sign of it happening and now who knows the damage it has done over the weeks of going through this. Ford = Fail in Customer Satisfaction Post Purchase. The car isn't THAT old, it's not like I'm riding in a 93 stationwagon...
Old 05-14-2011, 12:15 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

A better picture to show off Ford's "fix" to the solution. I don't understand why they would be trying to fix something from the inside as opposite to the outside. I'm lost here. Though they made claim to taking the fender off and sealing all body seams, bolts, etc... This spot clearly looks like where the water is coming in at.
Attached Thumbnails Car simply dying. What is it?-20110514104122.jpg  
Old 05-14-2011, 01:44 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

That "taped" in area is the electronics bundle going to the door. If you open up your door you can see the black ribbed tubing going from the car to the door and that might be the entry point. It looks like the dealer smeared some black sealant around that area but I don't know. I'm at a loss of words with this because I can't wrap my head around it. This is very troubling.

Also, the cowl area where it has the "seal" connected to the windshield is definitely not snapping said seal to the windshield, but I've taken that cowl off and I don't know how water can get through to the inside of the car unless through the Cabin Air Filter and that thing is always bone dry...
Old 05-14-2011, 03:17 PM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

You have the exact same case i had. the underpad foam was soaked and i had to replace that cause it practically a river. i guraenetee you 150 % that your electronic issues and car turning off is related to the SBJ, cause its the brains to your car. Ford will never fix the problem, they will patch it up so you can go away as you can see. I tried to fix mine to the best i can, but i have no body work experience , so i took it to my friend at a body shop and he sealed up some holes for me. And thank god i dont have the problem anymore.

If you remove the passenger side seat (First disconnect the battery) , you wont believe how much water is back there. Mine was just so much that i almost wanted to die.
At least you know now what the issue is and you can fix it.

Although it might seem like water is coming in from one area, my car had a few spots. My passenger side speaker blew up too and i always thought it was a lousy after market install. Then i discovered water was coming in from the A-Pillar and making its way down.

Basically, buy some sealeant when the weather is good. Take everything apart and seal the s h i t out of it and let it dry. a lot of people have a musty smell in their car, and its from this issue as well, they just dont know it
Old 05-14-2011, 03:22 PM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

Oh yeah, when you remove the cowel by the windshield, they clip into these clips. I would change them as well cause mine were really loose and water got into them real easy. I was able to take them off with my fingers and that is not suppose to happen. Once those clip things are removed, if you notice dirt under there, that is an indication that water got in. Since you have everything apart, i would replace all 10 of them. They are cheap from Ford and like few bucks each. once clipped in put sealant all around each one and let dry to guraentee waterproofing.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:41 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

I should have taken pictures of those clips you speak of, but Ford put sealant all around every one on the passenger side of the car.

Quick Reply: Car simply dying. What is it?