Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Awful smell coming from A/C?

Old 09-04-2012, 12:33 AM
4LiterSonic
2nd Gear Member

Default Awful smell coming from A/C?

I'm terrible at starting threads, so I'll just get straight to the point.

I was tailgating this weekend and I left my car parked for the game. My friends and I were playing music out of the trunk, that's why it was there. I noticed today though, that when I flip the A/C on, there's a terrible smell that comes out of the vents when it comes on...it almost smells like fermented alcohol or something. Anyone have any ideas about what it could be or what I should do to get the smell out? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:55 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Sometimes condensation builds up in there and the mildew smells like complete garbage. Turn the air to fresh air not recirculate. Use it that way for several days and always leave it on fresh air when you park it. It should dry up and the green funk will go away.

I have had this issue when parking my car for a week and not driving it.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:56 AM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Was your car unattended during the tailgate? Some jealous person might have jammed some rotten food into your air ducts/thrown up in them. Or maybe you just need to replace the cabin air filter? How long has it been?

I'd start with the filter, then if it persists try to pinpoint the source, might be a dead rodent maybe? Animals can have some weird smells.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:58 AM
4LiterSonic
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
Was your car unattended during the tailgate? Some jealous person might have jammed some rotten food into your air ducts/thrown up in them. Or maybe you just need to replace the cabin air filter? How long has it been?

I'd start with the filter, then if it persists try to pinpoint the source, might be a dead rodent maybe? Animals can have some weird smells.
It was left unattended (unfortunately) so it's possible I guess. I actually had a hood vent punched out on Thursday night.

I'm THIS close to buying a beater and leaving my car at home, I'm tired of it getting ****ed with.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:51 AM
bones302
2nd Gear Member

if someone punched out your hood vent, I'm going to guess they poured beer in the cowl also. damn a-holes...
Old 09-04-2012, 09:59 AM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 4LiterSonic
It was left unattended (unfortunately) so it's possible I guess. I actually had a hood vent punched out on Thursday night.

I'm THIS close to buying a beater and leaving my car at home, I'm tired of it getting ****ed with.
Wow, jealousy is really an ugly thing. But yeah I'd put someone messing with my car pretty high up on the list if you are in a campus town. I feel for you man, not a year ago I had some fat douche smash my mirrors.

But try to get at the filter, and maybe a car wash will do the trick?
Old 09-04-2012, 10:28 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

First off, change your cabin air filter. Besides dirt and bugs, they can sometimes harbor mildew which likes the warm temps and a dirty filter. I sprayed my replacement filter with some air freshener before installing it.

Also, I got the bad smell shortly after I got the car (smelled like a litterbox). They make a product called A/C deodorizer that you can spray into the system to make it better...
Old 09-04-2012, 01:51 PM
xkape
4th Gear Member

I wouldn't take my car anywhere near a college campus. Way too many dumb drunk a holes in one place for me. I bought a 87 accord for my college days and left the real car in my parents garage. Oddly enough, the beater was stolen twice and broken into once. Go figure. Nothing in it either. I used headphones for a radio back then...lol

ANyway, go get a beater. It will reduce your heartrate and make you live longer.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:50 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Colleges are full of ******** whose parents pay for everything and the kid has never worked a day in his life. I was blown away at the immature idiots at my school 25 years ago......so nothings changed except the cost.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:00 PM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

What kind of man **** punches a vent on a nice car?? Erik

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Awful smell coming from A/C?