Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil dipstick wasn't pushed down

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 10:54 AM
modru2004
2nd Gear Member

Default oil dipstick wasn't pushed down

ok so im getting ready to go on a trip so i checked the oil last night. popped the hood and what do i find? the freaking oil dipstick was sticking out about 4 inches and wasn't sealed down. the last oil change (also the first) was done at the dealer.

its been a few thousand miles since then. is there any cause for concern? i didn't notice any difference, there were no warning lights, the oil level is fine and still amber. didn't see any oil in the engine bay.

im going to have the oil changed before i leave just to be safe. and im going to damn well double check the work that was done before i drive off this time.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:00 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

That's why I do my own oil changes... I had a bad experience at a Wally world about 10 years ago where they didn't remove the old filter gasket. It was on my 99 Eclipse that I put a stage 2 turbo in (my baby back then ). 10 miles down the road under 10psi of boost, my oil blows out and seizes my engine. Luckily Wally World's insurance paid to replace the motor and put me in a rental for the duration, but that taught me to do my own from them on.

Don
Old 05-13-2011, 11:40 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I doubt there was any issue with intake of contaminants since the crankcase operates at slightly higher pressure than or equal to ambient. And any moisture that may have been sucked in when things cooled would burn off after normal driving. But if you feel better about it, then by all means change it for peace-of-mind.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:41 AM
MustangMan1718
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigDinTexas
That's why I do my own oil changes... I had a bad experience at a Wally world about 10 years ago where they didn't remove the old filter gasket. It was on my 99 Eclipse that I put a stage 2 turbo in (my baby back then ). 10 miles down the road under 10psi of boost, my oil blows out and seizes my engine. Luckily Wally World's insurance paid to replace the motor and put me in a rental for the duration, but that taught me to do my own from them on.

Don
Stuff like this is why I heard that their TLE is going out of business (in my area at least). They have claims all the time for little things. My buddy works at one and I'm pretty sure they just moved him from one department to there because they needed bodies. Not exactly what I would call "qualified" for the part compared to a formal interview of someone interested in cars.

I know where I work that we have a whole system to avoid this type of stuff. The double-gasket is why we make sure to show the top-side technician the old filter before we start the car. The rules can be annoying when you're experienced as I am by now, but it is understandable why they exist.

Also, I don't think very much harm could have been done if it was just the dipstick. I can't imagine any debris managing their way to wiggle up there. I would think your filter would catch anything if it were nasty as well. It most certainly will cause less damage to your car than not changing oil on it since September of '09 like a Volkswagen had when it came in yesterday.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:36 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

I let Ford do mine, but always check under the hood before start up when I pick it up. I check the level, make sure the caps are on, plus look for a clean filter case. Also look under the front for oil dripping. sometimes they have been sloppy....
Old 05-13-2011, 05:22 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Oil lever fine? Nothing to worry about. I'd look things over after any future oil changes though. As somebody else said, that's why I do me own!
Old 05-23-2011, 07:35 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by modru2004
ok so im getting ready to go on a trip so i checked the oil last night. popped the hood and what do i find? the freaking oil dipstick was sticking out about 4 inches and wasn't sealed down. the last oil change (also the first) was done at the dealer.

its been a few thousand miles since then. is there any cause for concern? i didn't notice any difference, there were no warning lights, the oil level is fine and still amber. didn't see any oil in the engine bay.

im going to have the oil changed before i leave just to be safe. and im going to damn well double check the work that was done before i drive off this time.
modru2004,

I am so sorry that the dealer left the dipstick up. That should have been checked before returning the car to you, and I apologize that it was not. Please send me a PM with your VIN, contact information, mileage, and servicing dealer information. I will document this issue, and if you wish to be contacted about this, I can arrange that as well.

~Natasha
Old 05-23-2011, 08:07 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

I know that in FI applications, a dipstick that pops out on its own usually is a sign of excessive crank case pressure!
Old 05-24-2011, 09:33 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
I know that in FI applications, a dipstick that pops out on its own usually is a sign of excessive crank case pressure!
Indeed..and if it does, it's a big warning sign for you to change your crankcase ventilation setup so it can relieve pressure under boost!

Otherwise, the dipstick was likely not inserted properly at some point. You should always check your oil after an oil change; not every place is competent.