Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hunting Idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 07:37 AM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

I have a 93 octane tune from Brenspeed with a Steeda intake and mine does the same exact thing.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:24 AM
adj86
2nd Gear Member

I didn't see where anyone else posted this, but if you've contacted your tuner, gotten a new tune, cleaned the TB and done the other things that others here have mentioned, and none of it works, you might have a bad Throttle Position Sensor. I had trouble with a hunting idle on my stock intake, tried cleaning the maf, TB and disconnecting the battery. They all helped for awhile but the problem eventually came back. I bought a Duralast TPS from Autozone, and the problem went away and never came back. Its been about a year since I replaced it.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:56 AM
bigblue95z
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by adj86
I didn't see where anyone else posted this, but if you've contacted your tuner, gotten a new tune, cleaned the TB and done the other things that others here have mentioned, and none of it works, you might have a bad Throttle Position Sensor. I had trouble with a hunting idle on my stock intake, tried cleaning the maf, TB and disconnecting the battery. They all helped for awhile but the problem eventually came back. I bought a Duralast TPS from Autozone, and the problem went away and never came back. Its been about a year since I replaced it.
I've actually replaced the TB, as my dog blasted it off the milk crate during cleaning and broke the idle spring cap on the top. The TB was brand new so I know it's not from being gunked up. I've got the CAI clamped down really good and I don't feel any leaks from a buldge or anything.

Simon1 suggested a datalog. Can I do this with my x3? I believe I can but just haven't messed with the x3 that much other than flashing the tunes.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:41 AM
adj86
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bigblue95z
I've actually replaced the TB, as my dog blasted it off the milk crate during cleaning and broke the idle spring cap on the top. The TB was brand new so I know it's not from being gunked up. I've got the CAI clamped down really good and I don't feel any leaks from a buldge or anything.

Simon1 suggested a datalog. Can I do this with my x3? I believe I can but just haven't messed with the x3 that much other than flashing the tunes.
How long ago did you replace the TB? The only reason I ask is because I had to have mine replaced in March 2010, and then had to replace the TPS that was new in March 2010 around June 2010 due to the hunting idle. The TPS isn't terribly expensive $75ish. You ought to be able to data log with your tuner, I have the SCT SF3 and it has a data logging option. I've never had a reason to do it, but it can definitely do it. Plug it in to your OBD port and scroll through the first menu and the data log option should be available. Also just to be really clear. The Throttle Position Sensor is located on the left side of the Throttle Body, it can be removed and replaced. Don't want any confusion with the acronyms (TB, TPS)

Last edited by adj86; 05-20-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:41 PM
bigblue95z
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by adj86
How long ago did you replace the TB? The only reason I ask is because I had to have mine replaced in March 2010, and then had to replace the TPS that was new in March 2010 around June 2010 due to the hunting idle. The TPS isn't terribly expensive $75ish. You ought to be able to data log with your tuner, I have the SCT SF3 and it has a data logging option. I've never had a reason to do it, but it can definitely do it. Plug it in to your OBD port and scroll through the first menu and the data log option should be available. Also just to be really clear. The Throttle Position Sensor is located on the left side of the Throttle Body, it can be removed and replaced. Don't want any confusion with the acronyms (TB, TPS)
Definately no confusion, seasoned tech. The TB was just replaced last week with a brand new piece. Don't find it probable that both TPS were bad. I've seen that data log while poking around the x3, just never used it. I'll try to get a log together when I get my front end put back together and see what Brenspeed has to say.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:06 PM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

Please let us know so I can fix the problem too.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:13 PM
adj86
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bigblue95z
Definately no confusion, seasoned tech. The TB was just replaced last week with a brand new piece. Don't find it probable that both TPS were bad. I've seen that data log while poking around the x3, just never used it. I'll try to get a log together when I get my front end put back together and see what Brenspeed has to say.
Cool no offense intended, just wanted to make sure. Yeah it shouldn't be the TPS if it was replaced that recently. Let me know how the data logging works as I've never done it either and would like to know how it works.