Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$1350 repair estimate and a POS warranty, what to do??

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 03:15 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

1300 was probably worst case scenario if the airbag needed replacement. Which it shouldn't unless it's deployed.

Like pascal pointed out. You can do the work yourself. Just take your time (disconnect the battery cable) and index the steering wheel on the shaft. I would make three marks on the shaft/wheel center before your remove it. One or two hash marks can give you a false sense of alignment.

You may need a sterring wheel puller to get the wheel off and a socket that's larger than the shaft with a deadblow hammer to put the steering wheel back on when you're done.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:12 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by SpartaPerformance
Hey MORON he said it's aftermarket warranty.
Even though I agree with you on Ford being out of the loop, there's no need to call another member a moron over this.
You don't make mistakes right?
Old 05-21-2011, 06:47 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
Even though I agree with you on Ford being out of the loop, there's no need to call another member a moron over this.
You don't make mistakes right?
You're correct. It was uncalled for
Old 05-21-2011, 07:31 PM
Jeckler

If the clockspring, which doesn't look anything like its name, is bad, it should be easy to replace. It's not like it's going to come unwound or anything, unless you take the housing apart. If it's anything like the taurus I used to have uses, it's just a few screws and a couple electrical connections to get it off, once the wheel is out the way, natch.
The clockspring handles all the electrical connections in the wheel, cruise/radio buttons, horn and airbag. That could be the cause of the light too.
Found this in another post, regarding the code 19 you're getting...
https://mustangforums.com/forum/7252229-post5.html
Old 05-21-2011, 07:33 PM
Jeckler

In fact, it's a thread you started back in October.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:30 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

I actually remembered the thread i started way back when and looked back to see if it was in fact back to the original code its throwing. Ive come to the conclusion that my only problem is the clock spring needs to be replaced and that the dealership is full of morons and/or theives who wanted to sell my two new air bags AND a control module for them.

It worked out nicely though, my airbag light was on since i had my seats out and i was told it would be at least $50 to reset it from that, i paid $69 for the repair estimate and it just so happens they reset the light (probably unknowingly). So I paid about the same price and i know for sure my clock spring is bad. Hopefully i can get the part later this week and get it installed and all will be well. $1300 is way to much to spend! Unless its on cams and gears
Old 05-23-2011, 04:10 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Ordered my clock spring today and it should be here tomorrow morning, the instructions are pretty clear except for the first two steps. So I must ask, how do i remove the airbag from the steering wheel? And then how do i remove the steering wheel? I think my dad has one of his friends steering wheel pullers out in our shop he was gonna use on our boat so hopefully i have all the tools i need.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:08 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

I wanted to confirm that Ford Motor Company will repair, replace or adjust covered parts found to be defective in factory-supplied materials or workmanship. The safety restraint warranty period is 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

~Natasha
Old 05-27-2011, 05:35 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
I wanted to confirm that Ford Motor Company will repair, replace or adjust covered parts found to be defective in factory-supplied materials or workmanship. The safety restraint warranty period is 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

~Natasha
They told me the same thing, sadly im at around 62k. Im more unhappy with my aftermarket warranty then ford. Im not very satisfied with how the dealership handled things but the dealership i was dealing with is notoriously corrupt.

Back to my previous question, anyone know how to safely remove the driver side airbag? I have instructions for the clock spring install which are pretty clear but they dont elaborate on how the airbag or steering wheel is removed.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:55 PM
Jeckler

See if these will help, found doing a search for airbag removal...
https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...-for-s197.html

The PDF link in this thread also has a section for removing the bag and wheel.
https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...g-removal.html

Quick Reply: $1350 repair estimate and a POS warranty, what to do??