Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$1350 repair estimate and a POS warranty, what to do??

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 09:48 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Aftermarket warranties are FRAUD! I will never buy one again.

Had a 1999 Trans Am, and the transmission began grinding 2-3 and 3-4 shift. Took it to the dealer, left it with them, and was told the aftermarket warranty company had to send an adjuster out to approve all repairs. Got a call 3 days later telling me that the claim was denied due to abuse of the car.

Drove to the dealership, and asked to see what constitutes abuse. They showed me where the transmission bell housing had shrapnel go through the side of it leaving a large gash you could stick your pinkie finger through. I also noticed that the clutch in my car was NOT the factory issued clutch, but an updated version that was released in 2001. I bought the car with 25,000 miles on it, and a friend at a dealership told me the car had no history of the clutch being replaced at the dealer. The previous owner, or someone test driving the car before I bought it, destroyed the factory clutch.

Guess who had to pay for a transmission rebuild due to neglect....ME!

Never again will I pay those sorry motherf@##ers for an extended warranty. They take your money, then laugh in your face when the coverage is denied. I opted to cancel the policy, and took a prorated refund. Out of 1,800.00 I was only refunded 250.00 bucks, and still had to fix my own transmission. I paid that company 1,550.00 bucks for nothing at all. What a waste!

I get junk mail all the time saying, "Your factory warranty is almost up, don't take the chance of paying 3,000.00 bucks to repair a transmission." It makes me laugh, then want to kill someone who works there.

Last edited by Unleashedbeast; 05-27-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:37 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Not to mention that those companies go out of business rather unexpectedly to resurface as another name or entity.
Pretty convenient!

Last edited by pascal; 05-28-2011 at 09:23 AM.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:41 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Clockspring6R3Z14A664AA $56.30
Replace .8/hr

CLOCKSPRING

Removal

WARNING:

• Always wear safety glasses when repairing an air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) vehicle and when handling an air bag module. This will reduce the risk of injury in the event of an accidental deployment.
  • To reduce the risk of personal injury, do not use any memory saver devices.
NOTE:
  • The air bag warning lamp illuminates when the RCM fuse is removed and the ignition switch is ON. This is normal operation and does not indicate a supplemental restraint system (SRS) fault.
  • The SRS must be fully operational and free of faults before releasing the vehicle to the customer.
  • Repair is made by installing a new part only.If the new part does not correct the condition, install the original part and carry out the diagnostic procedure again.
  1. Depower the system.
  2. Make sure the road wheels are in the straight-ahead position.
  3. Tilt the steering wheel in the DOWNWARD position and LOCK the tilt handle.
  4. Remove the driver air bag module.
  5. Remove the steering wheel.

1. Remove the lower steering column shroud 2 screws.
  2. Remove the upper steering column shroud.

1. NOTE: If the clockspring is to be reinstalled, do not allow the clockspring to turn from its removal position. If reusing the clockspring, tape the clockspring center rotor to the outer housing to keep it from rotating.
  2. NOTE: The tilt steering column mechanism is spring loaded, carefully release the tilt handle while repositioning. Carefully position the steering column up and leave the tilt handle in the unlocked position.
  3. Position the lower steering column shroud downward.

1. Disconnect the clockspring electrical connector.

1. Remove the 4 clockspring screws and remove the clockspring.
Installation

Vehicles needing clockspring recentering

1. WARNING: Incorrect centralization may result in premature component failure. If in doubt when centralizing the clockspring, repeat the centralizing procedure. Failure to follow this instruction may result in personal injury. CAUTION: Make sure the road wheels are in the straight-ahead position. If the vehicle's clockspring has rotated out of center, follow these steps to center the clockspring.
1Hold the clockspring outer housing stationary.2CAUTION: Overturning will destroy the clockspring. The internal ribbon wire acts as the stop and can be broken from its internal connection.
While turning the rotor counterclockwise, carefully feel for the ribbon wire to run out of length and for a slight resistance. Stop turning at this point.

3Turn the clockspring clockwise (approximately 3 turns) until the ribbon wire shows anywhere across the window (window will be near the 2'o clock position) and the arrow on the rotor lines up with the arrow on the bottom left of the housing. Clockspring is now centered.
  • Do not allow the rotor to turn from this position.
All vehicles

1. Install the clockspring and the 4 screws.

1. Connect the clockspring electrical connector.
  2. Position the lower steering column shroud upward.
  3. Carefully position the steering column down and place the tilt handle in the LOCKED position. Vehicle repairs reusing the same clockspring

1. NOTE: When the tape is removed, do not allow the clockspring to turn. Remove the tape applied during clockspring removal. Vehicles installing a new clockspring
  2. CAUTION: Do not rotate the new clockspring between removing the sealing key and installing the steering wheel. If the vehicle is left unattended by the technician between removing the sealing key and installing the steering wheel, carry out the centralizing procedure. Remove the sealing key. All vehicles
  3. Install the upper steering column shroud.

1. Install the 2 lower steering column shroud screws.
  2. CAUTION: If the vehicle is left unattended by the technician between centralizing the clockspring and installing the steering wheel, the centralizing procedure must be repeated. Install the steering wheel.
  3. Install the driver air bag module.
  4. Repower the system.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:50 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shadow7874

Back to my previous question, anyone know how to safely remove the driver side airbag? I have instructions for the clock spring install which are pretty clear but they dont elaborate on how the airbag or steering wheel is removed.
DRIVER AIR BAG MODULE

Removal

WARNING:
  • Always wear safety glasses when repairing an air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) vehicle and when handling an air bag module. This will reduce the risk of injury in the event of an accidental deployment.
  • Carry a live air bag module with the air bag and trim cover pointed away from your body. This will reduce the risk of injury in the event of an accidental deployment.
  • Do not set a live air bag module down with the trim cover face down. This will reduce the risk of injury in the event of an accidental deployment.
  • After deployment, the air bag surface can contain deposits of sodium hydroxide, a product of the gas generant combustion that is irritating to the skin. Wash your hands with soap and water afterwards.
  • Never probe the connectors on the air bag module. Doing so can result in air bag deployment, which can result in personal injury.
  • To reduce the risk of personal injury, do not use any memory saver devices.
NOTE:
  • The air bag warning lamp illuminates when the RCM fuse is removed and the ignition switch is ON. This is normal operation and does not indicate a supplemental restraint system (SRS) fault.
  • The SRS must be fully operational and free of faults before releasing the vehicle to the customer.
  • Repair is made by installing a new part only. If the new part does not correct the condition, install the original part and carry out the diagnostic procedure again.
  1. Depower the system.

1. Remove the 2 driver air bag module bolt caps from the steering wheel (1 shown).

1. Remove the 2 driver air bag module bolts (1 shown).

1. Disconnect the 2 driver air bag module electrical connectors.
    2. Remove the drivers air bag module.
    3. CAUTION: The clockspring electrical connectors are unique and cannot be reversed when connected to the driver air bag module. Match the electrical connector key to the keyway in the driver air bag module. Do not force the electrical connectors into the driver air bag module. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
    4. Repower the system.
    Old 06-01-2011, 12:12 AM
    minivanracer
    1st Gear Member

Thats bs i would be pissed off
    Old 06-01-2011, 12:26 AM
    Young_Gun
    4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Menace
    Well, we all know how cheaply these cars are made and how Ford fights tooth and nail to not repair them on their dime. Guess that's how we do business these days.
    Glad my dealer isn't like that

Yeah, man, I know how that crap goes. I just stopped in to say good luck!
    Old 06-01-2011, 03:50 AM
    Shadow7874
    4th Gear Member

Ive got the clock spring already, just gotta find a day to install it. It seems easy but id rather have my dad there for help.

If the clock spring is what is causing the air bag light will it go away when fixed or require it being reset? And can it be reset without going to ford?
    Old 06-01-2011, 06:52 AM
    pascal
    S197 Section Modder-ator

If the clock spring is what is causing the air bag light will it go away when fixed or require it being reset? And can it be reset without going to ford?
    I did a front collision back in 05 and if I remember correctly, it had to be reset at the dealer.
    Old 06-02-2011, 03:56 PM
    Shadow7874
    4th Gear Member

Swapped out the clock spring for the new one today, fairly easy and my airbag light is gone. $1350 repair done in under an hour and only cost me $70...
    Old 06-02-2011, 07:10 PM
    Unleashedbeast
    4th Gear Member

Swapped out the clock spring for the new one today, fairly easy and my airbag light is gone. $1350 repair done in under an hour and only cost me $70...
    In your EYE corrupt dealer. HAHA!

Quick Reply: $1350 repair estimate and a POS warranty, what to do??