Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does "skip shift" do exactly?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 01:29 PM
skyline247

I've had my 2012 GT for a little over a week now and I've been paying attention to the skip shift feature. It will light up and activate under certain conditions (these can be found in the manual), however, as was stated previously, this is a very small window. I've noticed that when it lights up, if I let the rpms drop a little (I.e. ease off the accelerator), the light will go away and I can shift into second. I'm not sure if your shifting into neutral is a fix, but it could be that you are no longer inside the "window" for the feature to work. Idk if I'm completely right, but it works fine for me. I just pay attention to my tach to avoid skip shift (usually lights up around 3000 rpm for me when driving normally). If you're punching it in first gear, I don't think skip shift is supposed to turn on either.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:35 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

I would still bet it is just a timing thing because the solenoid would not remain activated for a very long time. If it did, it could effect other shifting. I think it is very hard to keep the rpm and speed in the skip shift window and try to many things. Unplug it and never worry again.......just watch the dash light do its thing.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:50 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Another way to eliminate skipshift is to purchase a tune. I went through Bama and you have the option to eliminate skipshift altogether. They do not just keep it from locking you out, they also eliminate the light from appearing under you tach
Old 05-25-2011, 03:55 AM
Gr8T STANG
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
Another way to eliminate skipshift is to purchase a tune. I went through Bama and you have the option to eliminate skipshift altogether. They do not just keep it from locking you out, they also eliminate the light from appearing under you tach
Yes, I have tunes from Bama with the skip shift eliminated but, I still get some resistance when going from 1st to 2nd at the same RPMs that it would have come on. It's like it's partialy activated. I'm not saying that it would be like that for everyone just me.
I want to know where the solenoid is so that I can unplug it to.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:08 AM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gr8T STANG
Y
I want to know where the solenoid is so that I can unplug it to.
Rear passenger side of the transmission, near the top.......look for a two wire plug up high in that area. Simple if you have a lift, a bit harder on ramps.

Scan down this page... I believe it is item 1-3...you can see the picture. http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=941&viewfil...20Solenoid.pdf

Copied this from an engineering article I found somewhere ...

Skip shift enablement criteria:

Warm engine (greater than 170 degrees F coolant)
Start from a dead stop (approx 1 to 2 secs to stabilize idle)
Vehicle speed between 15 and 19 mph
Throttle pedal less than 25% open (but not closed pedal)
Engine speed greater than 1200 rpm
1st gear validated

Last edited by AzPete; 05-25-2011 at 07:18 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:19 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Will3212
. . . it does lock you out but ONLY when you go from 1st directly into 2nd. If you go to N from 1st THEN shift into 2nd . . .
Exactly what do you mean? Are you doing anything else, like letting the clutch re-engage when you're in the neutral gate or moving the shifter laterally across the neutral gate?

Norm
Old 05-25-2011, 06:40 PM
Falcon Fixer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Joe in Dublin
without skip shift this car may have never been built. they have to get 26mpg highway to meet cafe.... just disable it
Nope.
The GT 500 does not have skip shift.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:27 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Falcon Fixer
Nope.
Seeing as how there are very few GT500's made, I don't think that matters.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:41 AM
Gr8T STANG
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Falcon Fixer
Nope.
The GT500 has a Tremic tranny.

Thanks AzPete that schematic is great. I wonder if it would throw any codes by unplugging it. I'll probably find out.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:51 AM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gr8T STANG
The GT500 has a Tremic tranny.

Thanks AzPete that schematic is great. I wonder if it would throw any codes by unplugging it. I'll probably find out.
I have no flashing lights to indicate any codes. My car is stock other than the GT500 exhaust.

Originally Posted by Joe in Dublin
without skip shift this car may have never been built. they have to get 26mpg highway to meet cafe.... just disable it

Yep, the fuel thing is based on having to have so many models in a certain range so they can have others that fall outside the parameters set by our wonderful government.

Quick Reply: What does "skip shift" do exactly?