Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Infamous water leak claims another victim!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 01:19 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by J2L06GT
With that much water that fast its probably the drain hole grommet
plugged up below the cabin air filter, remove pass side plastic cowl
and look down in there. If you park in an area with trees it will fill
with leaf parts.
This. Mine were clogged shut and I experienced the same problem you describe. Dry as a bone since I cleaned em
Old 05-28-2011, 01:55 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Anyway someone could give me a few pics on how to clean them. Never done anything like this.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:04 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

You can actually see the grommet on the passenger side with a flashlight if you look down along the firewall below the battery and towards the engine. You can reach down and squeeze it to feel if there's anything in there. There's one on the drivers side.

If you open the access panel in the passenger side kick panel and feel for moisture ABOVE the SJB and fins none, then it's possible that you only have the clogged drains and NOT the actual gremlin causing water leak. The clogged drain grommets will allow water to back-up and pour in thru the cabin air filter; a major PITA but not near as damaging as the TSB related leak.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:29 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
You can actually see the grommet on the passenger side with a flashlight if you look down along the firewall below the battery and towards the engine. You can reach down and squeeze it to feel if there's anything in there. There's one on the drivers side.

If you open the access panel in the passenger side kick panel and feel for moisture ABOVE the SJB and fins none, then it's possible that you only have the clogged drains and NOT the actual gremlin causing water leak. The clogged drain grommets will allow water to back-up and pour in thru the cabin air filter; a major PITA but not near as damaging as the TSB related leak.
I did look down there and I see a black tube with a leaf sticking out of the end of it so I'm guessing it may be clogged, lol. I'll go ahead and give cleaning it a shot tomorrow morning before work. I'll check the kick panel and such as well. Thanks for the info Nuke, always helpful.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:29 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Usually unclogging the rubber funnel, grommets, pouches (whatever name it is) fixes the problem. If it comes down by the A pillar or near the SJB then that a different issue as covered in the TSB.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:33 AM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

TSB 07-14-6 I bought my '06 GT brand new in 11/06 The leak didn't show up until 4/08, 21,000 miles. Had this fixed under warranty at the dealer. Now its 5/11, and 41,000 miles, still OK!

(On a side note, my hood paint on the front edge and underneath is bubbling again, had it done twice under warranty, now its out of warranty, and bubbling again! There's a TSB for that, too)
Old 09-06-2011, 01:27 PM
Jameson

I've had this same problem pop up on me in the last 2 weeks. However, I am rather uneducated on some of the terminology in the steps I've read in this thread.

The water only pours into the passenger floor from underneath the glove box when I have started driving, there is no standing water in the floor when the car has been parked in the rain.

I took some photos of the area between the battery and engine, maybe someone can help direct me where to look for these drain holes, etc?

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3

Thanks
Old 09-06-2011, 02:51 PM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jameson

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3

Thanks
I don't really have anything useful to add, but when you get this fixed take a look at this.
https://mustangforums.com/forum/deta...look-here.html
Old 09-06-2011, 03:08 PM
Jameson

yeah, it's gotta somewhat filthy in there
Old 09-06-2011, 03:08 PM
nickb2236
1st Gear Member

I just had this happen to me yesterday. After reading a ton of threads about this when the weather clears up I'll have to try and unclog the grommet using the 7-14-6 TSB. I don't have a warrant for the car so the dealer is out.

Quick Reply: Infamous water leak claims another victim!