Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Newbie Decide Please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 06:10 PM
2011GTStang

Default Help Newbie Decide Please!

So my story is that my significant other damaged my 07 Nissan Altima (with the V6) and I have decided it was time to get into a new vehicle. Since I don't have any kids I thought I should get a more sportier car and the search began. I drove the 2012 V6 mustang (manual) and fell in love with the seats, but not so much the power. I then drove a V6 camaro (manual) and liked that it felt like it was more of a screamer. I then drove the V6 camaro (auto) and hated the tranny. Next was a 2008 GT500 (the woman wouldn't stop bugging me about taking it out), all I have to say is WOW! The thing flew like a bat out of hell, although I don't think I would want to drive it every day. On to the next, which was a 2011 camaro V8, but after driving the GT500 i was ruined. So the next day I found a pretty little silver 2011 Mustang GT premium with the hood scoop, wing, side louvers, glass roof, and a manual. I wanted right then and there!...but, I needed them to show just a little more on the trade in so I walked. Now I have been trying to find out if this car is worth the 37K that they are asking. This will be my first mustang although I did grow up with a 93 GT. BUT I have been reading about some kind of tranny problem with these (grinding). I really want this and I know I am going to be getting a call back, so I just wanted to know what to look out for or if there is anything I should be concerned about? Thanks for any help!
P.S. are already have a F150 so I am not a complete newbie to ford anyways.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:45 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Id go for it. The trans issues on these is one car out of 1,000.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:53 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

$37k is a bit high IMO. And even IF you have the tranny problem, Ford will eventually have to make it right. Personally, I like the exterior styling of the 05-09's better as they retain more of the retro look so an FI 07-09 would be my ticket. Most SC'd 05-09's out-power the 5.0 even with a good tune.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:12 PM
Lupo222
2nd Gear Member

Location: Camp Lejeune, North Carolina and Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Originally Posted by Nuke
And even IF you have the tranny problem, Ford will eventually have to make it right.
Don't be so quick to assume that. I'm still waiting for Ford to "make it right" with my 04 6.0 Diesel F-250. 36 injectors later (yes, all 8 replaced 4 times, 4 replaced one extra time), 2 head gaskets, 2 EGR coolers, and a transmission range sensor later, Ford still hasn't done a THING for me. If Chevy didn't take bailout money and I wasn't so politically stubborn, I'd be in a Camaro and Ford wouldn't get a dollar from me ever again.

That being said, $37k is way to high if its used?? If not, it still seems a little high but not ridiculous. Isn't the glass roof like a $2,000 option or something crazy? Great feature though.

Good luck man. I'd pull the trigger on the GT500 if I were you. The 05-09s have a better look IMO and the GT500 will be a collectors item one day.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:14 AM
shanec
4th Gear Member

GT500 every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Trust me.

Its proven. Its badass. And if you ever want to make simple mods to it, it will be far, far more than a GT could ever be modded to (without MAJOR money...like replacing an engine).
Old 05-29-2011, 11:09 AM
2011GTStang

I could drive the GT500 everyday, BUT I have crushed my left knee cap a while ago and the clutch seems like I couldn't handle it for long drives. I run and exercise, but on certain clutches my leg quivers at points...really irritating. The GT was perfect and as for the price, the MSRP shows +39G...they came down to 36,900. I was considering a porsche or vett for that price, but the glass roof and seats has me sold...not to dismiss the power, sound, looks, etc... I tried looking all around my area for this same setup (minus the side louvers) in a 2011-2012, but these glass roofs are no where around. On the second hand might have to get a beater mustang, since thefts are going crazy around my neck of the woods.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:17 PM
modru2004
2nd Gear Member

have you tried moving the seat back a tad more so your legs slightly more extended? my leg starts to quiver a tad when the seats not adjusted properly. once i adjusted the seat it was fine.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:36 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

It's an 11, you have way more room to drag that price down IMO. Find out what invoice is and make sure they beat it. I got my '11 for below invoice and this was in June 2010 let alone now when they have 11s stuck on the lot that they want to move.

If you can get the price to the sweet spot, I say go for it. While yes, the transmission is having occasional problems, it's not a problem that will definitely arise. I'd just keep your eyes out for the issue early and if you see it, have the TSB performed by Ford.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:31 PM
2011GTStang

I thought the same thing about it being an 2011...they are telling me that its $100 above invoice with the 36,900. I was going to use the supplied discount (that I get for working for alcoa) and that would put it at $200 above invoice...which is non-negotiable. Sure there raping me on my trade, that's why I walked...but I thought they couldn't go below invoice. They definitely want it off the lot since it has been sitting for 8 months.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:42 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2011GTStang
I could drive the GT500 everyday, BUT I have crushed my left knee cap a while ago and the clutch seems like I couldn't handle it for long drives. I run and exercise, but on certain clutches my leg quivers at points...really irritating. The GT was perfect and as for the price, the MSRP shows +39G...they came down to 36,900. I was considering a porsche or vett for that price, but the glass roof and seats has me sold...not to dismiss the power, sound, looks, etc... I tried looking all around my area for this same setup (minus the side louvers) in a 2011-2012, but these glass roofs are no where around. On the second hand might have to get a beater mustang, since thefts are going crazy around my neck of the woods.
Trust me...the adrenalin of driving and shifting the GT500 will more then compensate for any physical problems! My Snake clutch feels like nothing when I drive it...

Quick Reply: Help Newbie Decide Please!