Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Novi 2200 Clicking/Ticking/Rattle Noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 08:19 PM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

Just an update on my car in the order of how things have played out:

*The Steeda Heavy Duty Belt Tensioner seems to have solved the belt throwing issues.

*Took it to the strip... ran like 13.06 @ 109ish MPH with a bad 60'... high 2.2 closer to 2.3 (18" all season tires and first time to track since SC...) That was the best pass out of 3 or 4, the other ones were worse. The second run it seemed like the car was going strong and all of a sudden cut timing. Obviously looking at the MPH something isn't right here. I was guessing there was something wrong with the SC unit since it is still making the clicking noise even after sending it to Paxton for rebuild.

*I stopped messing with the car for a while and just tried to enjoy it but kept throwing a P2004 IMRC Stuck Open code, so I ordered a FRPP 3v Intake Manifold since it has IMRC deletes built in. When I originally had the car tuned it had issues making power and it had something to do with the IMRC so I figured that may explain the crappy MPH at the strip.

*Went to House of Boost today (local shop) to have the FRPP 3v Intake Manifold installed. They dynoed the car and it was down about 100 HP from the last dyno (last dynoed at about 440 rwhp so it's around 340ish for now...). They found that all 8 spark plugs are bad somehow. I am hoping between fixing the issue with the IMRC and the Spark Plugs the car will make the power it should.

*House of Boost told me the blower is making the correct levels of boost, so it sounds like the head unit is fine.

Hopefully after I get this thing making power again it won't start with the belt throwing crap again... LOL. I am really hoping the only reason I haven't been throwing belts isn't because the car has been down on power. I have smoked quite a few cars even though it's been down on power including an SRT8 Charger yesterday, and a few later model Corvettes.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:44 AM
rydeordie
3rd Gear Member

My 2200 sounds the same as yours. And like others have stated it's a pretty normal sound.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:46 AM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rydeordie
My 2200 sounds the same as yours. And like others have stated it's a pretty normal sound.
Yeah I don't think it's a problem with the head unit anymore since they did find that it's making the correct levels of boost. I believe the problem has to do with the bad spark plugs & IMRC issues... only a few more hours and I should be finding out. Can't wait!

PS: I know you said yours makes the same noise, but how about the shut off rattle noise? Mine doesn't always make the noise when I shut it off, but sometimes it is really obnoxious, way worse than the video I posted.

Last edited by gburke1; 09-07-2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:42 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

When I shut mine off I have never noticed a rattle that comes with it and I am pretty observative.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:35 PM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
When I shut mine off I have never noticed a rattle that comes with it and I am pretty observative.
I'll have to get a better video of the shut off rattle.

Just got word it's on the dyno so hopefully will be getting some good news soon!
Old 09-07-2011, 06:43 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

How's the tune?
Old 09-07-2011, 07:46 PM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 92hatchLX
How's the tune?
I got it back from the shop and it seems to be running great. No CEL's yet so that is a good sign.

Unfortunately they are having some kind of issue with their dyno that is causing it to under report HP so they did not provide a dyno graph.

I am supposed to go back up there when it's fixed to get some HP numbers... hopefully they aren't just saying the dyno is having a problem as an excuse for the car not making HP but I don't think that is the case. The bad news is if their dyno is not working right then I might not have been 'down' 100 hp as they had said before.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:02 AM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

Ran the car by Shelby in Las Vegas im person and they said this noise is not normal. Only a few hours from Paxton... Going to see if I can set something up to get this taken care of finally.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:15 AM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by gburke1
Ran the car by Shelby in Las Vegas im person and they said this noise is not normal. Only a few hours from Paxton... Going to see if I can set something up to get this taken care of finally.
So I called Paxton and they insist there is nothing wrong with the unit despite the noise and the fact that Shelby says it sounds like a bad bearing... this is kind of frustrating. Obviously I do NOT want there to be a problem with it, but the way it sounds is horrible and not the way it sounded when I first had the unit installed. It never made the rattle noise then so something must have changed between now and then...
Old 01-24-2012, 02:39 PM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

I have a feeling this is normal, I created a similar thread in the 4.6L engine discussion, and it sounds like its common

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuuTRqdXC0g

My ticking sound is identical to yours. However, I don't have any rattling whatsoever when I turn it off... kind of strange.

Originally Posted by Acerbus 2.0
Mine does that exact same sound, and has done so since installed. Recently changed the supercharger oil after the 2500mi break in, and it came out fine. No abnormal wear signs. I thought it was compressor surge, but i asked turbo guys at the dyno, and they all said it sounded normal.

So I guess it's normal.
Or you can stop driving your car and wait to see if mine craps out, and I'll let you know.
Ok I read on the paxton website that their NOVi s/c's are fed by the engine's oil, so just change the motor's oil to keep it fresh. But you and someone else on this forum has mentioned changing the superchargers oil. I'm a bit confused.

I've been driving this for nearly 4 months now and have no idea how long the s/c has been run, or the belt. I'm going to try to get a belt from the local auto parts store because Paxton's run like $80 freaking dollars!

As for spark plugs did you have to adjust change the gap clearance or do you just use stock 4.6L spark plugs?

Ok finally is your motor stock, and what was peak psi when you did 440whp and also at 340whp? My max is 5 psi, stock motor

Quick Reply: Novi 2200 Clicking/Ticking/Rattle Noise