Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random Question New mustang owner and reducing power temporarily

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 12:41 PM
Jmd87

Default Random Question New mustang owner and reducing power temporarily

Hi,

I'm going to buy a Ford mustang (probably 2009/2010 in UK) but heres the thing I'm 24 and have owned a Mercedes Gwagen so as you can imagine there is a slight differences in speed/power etc haha

Is there a way to temporarily reduce the power or anything like that whilst I get used to it or any advice any one can give me about driving it so I don't wrap it round a pole. I obviously won't race it round roads! I'm not a stupid driver but heard alot of stories of people crashing them because they can't drive them etc etc.

Any help would be great or advice on the cars

Thanks alot
Joe
Old 06-05-2011, 12:44 PM
tohoopty
4th Gear Member

keep your foot out of it
Old 06-05-2011, 12:50 PM
lunyou
2nd Gear Member

Jmd not to sound like an a-hole but if you can't control your foot on the skinny pedal you need help. They are not so freakishly fast that if you get on it you are gonna skid out of control. The factory itteration of the Mustang has been purchased by many people from 16 year old to 80 YO and it generally is stupidity or lack of focus OR the other driver thY causes the accidents not the extra horsepower.

As far as from going from your G to the mustang. Your center of gravity is about two foot lower, your grip is better, it is longer so it is more stable.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:53 PM
Jmd87

Hi Thanks for comments.

I don't think anything you said there makes you sound an A-hole haha Obviously you always here stupid stories from people so just catious haha. Thanks alot for your comments

Any thing else I should look out for when buying etc ?

Cheers
Joe
Old 06-05-2011, 12:54 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

I think it's a common misconception that because you have a very powerful car, that you'll go spinning out or losing control easily. While it's easier to do than in a less powerful car, you still will feel yourself pushing the limit far before you actually hit it.

My suggestion would just to take it easier on the throttle than you might be used to, just slowly increasing pedal pressure etc until you adjust to the car. It's really the same as any other car, every manufacturer creates cars with different pedal feel and throttle response, so when you get a new car you have to adjust. It's just that with the mustang, as you press down harder the car will definitely pick up the pace much faster than most cars.

Don't be afraid! I went from a 4 Banger Camry onto my V8 Mustang and I haven't had any scary moments other than the ones I've intentionally created. lol
Old 06-05-2011, 12:57 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jmd87
Hi Thanks for comments.

I don't think anything you said there makes you sound an A-hole haha Obviously you always here stupid stories from people so just catious haha. Thanks alot for your comments

Any thing else I should look out for when buying etc ?

Cheers
Joe
With an 09 or 10 you should be pretty trouble free. Of course make sure you get the car inspected by someone you truly trust to do the job well, but that goes for any used car purchase. Also, if you're looking for a little bit nicer interior, I'd advise trying to get yourself into a '10 instead of an 09
Old 06-05-2011, 12:58 PM
Jmd87

haha Excellent So Basically use common sense and don't be stupid!

Thanks alot again
Old 06-05-2011, 01:05 PM
D'prived
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jmd87
haha Excellent So Basically use common sense and don't be stupid!
As with anything else you do.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:17 PM
Jasoon
2nd Gear Member

put a sponge under the gas petal. That should help you keep your foot out of it...
Old 06-05-2011, 11:54 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

If you were getting a 5.0 I could see being worried about the HP, but the 4.6 you will be fine.
I'm not making fun of the 4.6, its a great motor and puts out good HP, but not so much that you will go out of control, unless you are being irresponsible.
You'll be just fine OP, take your time and be careful getting use to the new car.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: Random Question New mustang owner and reducing power temporarily