Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this trade in value too good to be true?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 04:24 PM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Default Is this trade in value too good to be true?

Ok, so I went to the local chevy dealership near home with my Dad to drop off his truck for some service. Just for grins I started looking at a Camaro because I haven't really seen one yet (been over seas). Anyway hopefully not everyone has started stoking the fires for the flame wars lol. The salesman came out and started talking to me and told me to take a test drive. So I figured why not. I'm not going to comment on the drive of the Camaro, that isn't what this thread is for. Anyway, the salesman and I got to talking and they offered me $21,500 for my car sight unseen. That number blew my mind. The guy said if the car was as I described (mods in sig, normal chips and scratches for a daily driver and just under 8,000 miles) then there is no problem with the trade in value.

Now, I'm not running over to the dark side, but that number seemed pretty high to me. I'm just wondering if that number is too good to be true and they are just saying that to get me interested. If I could really get that number for my car a 5.0 could be in the near future for me. What have some of you guys gotten on your trade ins?
Old 06-07-2011, 05:09 PM
white08gt
1st Gear Member

pretty low ball offer. that is trade in against window sticker probably, not bad if they are discounting the camaro on top of the offer.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:12 PM
jayed53
2nd Gear Member

Its a popular tactic for them to discuss trade value before discussing the purchase price of the vehicle. Either way they will try to get you to pay top dollar, dont be fooled.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:20 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I agree.
Good luck to them trying to retail your car later on with what they're gonna give you.
Their money will have to be made on the new car.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:20 PM
slickman
5th Gear Member

I don't think thats a high number. I'll bet your car KBB much higher then that.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Yeah, they're baiting you in.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:23 PM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by white08gt
pretty low ball offer. that is trade in against window sticker probably, not bad if they are discounting the camaro on top of the offer.
Well they did discount the camaro too because I'm in the military, but like I said I'm not going to the dark side. Low ball offer though? I didn't think 2009 GTs were going for much more than that. I mean I paid $29,700 for it more than 2 years ago. I just thought since a new body style and engine are out it wouldn't go for much.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:07 PM
shad2009
5th Gear Member

they probably gave you that number hoping you would commit, or he might know somebody that he could resell the car to at a higher price (because usually with mods, they won't give you that much for a trade in) also, was it a 2012 camaro or a 2011...im not sure about chevy, but there could be an incentive for them to get rid of 2011's...see if you could get that trade in in writing and go to a ford dealer and see what they give you...the chevy guy could be lying to you to get you to jump into a purchase...lots of dealers do shady crap like that
Old 06-07-2011, 06:18 PM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by shad2009
they probably gave you that number hoping you would commit, or he might know somebody that he could resell the car to at a higher price (because usually with mods, they won't give you that much for a trade in) also, was it a 2012 camaro or a 2011...im not sure about chevy, but there could be an incentive for them to get rid of 2011's...see if you could get that trade in in writing and go to a ford dealer and see what they give you...the chevy guy could be lying to you to get you to jump into a purchase...lots of dealers do shady crap like that
I wanted to take the sheet they wrote everything down on but the salesman grabbed it before I could. When I saw that number I instantly thought "I need to get that to the ford dealership to get a 5.0" lol. I may stop by again and act like I'm interested and see if I can get it.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Gen5_40
1st Gear Member

Salesmen will use many available tactics to lure you in. Offering you a sizable amount for your trade is one of them. As stated before they will get the money back somewhere else in the deal. They rarely loose. When you do shop it is probably better to leave your car out of sight, work your deal with out the trade as a factor then when you get the price you want add the trade value in so they don't pull smoke and mirrors on you.

Quick Reply: Is this trade in value too good to be true?