Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More Torque for Street

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 09:38 AM
thelastsumurai

Default More Torque for Street

I hear about all the Horse power gains that everyone is always talking about. But the reality is that Torque is what we need every day for best MPG and street fun. I am looking to replace the factory H pipe with a X pipe (MAYBE). I suspect that ford has designed the best torque setup for the street i.e. best gas mileage. What are ever ones thoughts on this, and what can I do to get the most Torque on my '11 5.0...Without a tune...

Last edited by thelastsumurai; 06-08-2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:49 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I assume that "Without a tune" also implies no FI or Nitrous. In that case, you can't do much to increase RWHP and/or torque too much but you can reduce your drive train, rotational inertia and other parasitic loses to some extent via weight reductions, UDP's, etc. It's not much but every little bit counts.

BTW, why don't you want a tune? The 5.0's have responded superbly to custom tunes on the order of ~10% gains at the wheels.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:25 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

Also, if your 5.0 has 3.31 gears, then upgrade to 3.73's minimum. They will not increase your engine's torque, but they will increase the torque multiplier to the rear wheels, which gives the car quicker acceleration from a stop and at lower rpms. Plus, they get the rpms into the meat of the engine's torque curve more quickly.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:54 AM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

you should go with the ever so popular CAI/tune
it not only increases HP but also increases torque
it will do more for you than a x pipe, performance wise.
but you might as well throw in an o/r x pipe while you're at it. and some LT's and an axle back.
any worthwhile mod is going to need a tune.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:01 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Without a tune, you cannot increase torque or horsepower without negatively affecting the engine. ANY worthwhile horsepower/torque mod for the S197 platform REQUIRES a tune.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:27 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

As said in here, you're going to need a tune...just the way it goes.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:06 PM
thelastsumurai

I don't want to give my car a tune until it is out of warranty! I have had some fast cars my whole adult life so I don't really jump on it that much, been there done it and have the T shifts to prove it. If you know what I mean
I was hoping that X pipes would give more power than the current H pipe. I put my car up onto a lift and saw all the different dia pipes under there and could only conclude that the system was tuned for torque and thus the best mileage potential. I am a ME so i can do the math if I can find some solid reference materials for pipes and lengths. the exact specs for thei 5.0 are pretty easy to get with all the articles out there. I see that Heartthrob has a full 3" exhaust from the cat back to rear axle, but free flow doesn't necessarily lead to greater torque numbers, high rpm horsepower yes, but low rpm Torque no... . I have an automatic and can get it to shift a low rpm (1600-1700) around town. This car is quite tame in city driving, but when you punch it..... Anyone have some real (vs B/S) information on X pipes vs H pipes? I have been looking on various forums and have gotten mixed information. As well as an insight into how uninformed about basic mechanics quite a few of the members are. I have 315 gears on my car now and have thought about 331's it's not much of a jump, but it would get me through the gears quicker giving me better around town mpg. I would love to talk one on one with the engineers that developed this exhaust system. If your out there PM me. Just to let you future gear heads know, If I was going to the drags every weekend like I used to, I would be looking for the most horse power not the most Torque.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:22 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

"HP sells cars, torque wins races."
switching midpipes, you will have to reflash your ECU with a tuner.
even a catted mid pipe may throw a code.
if you dont want to retune your Mustang you should leave it stock bc as it was said earlier, any mod worth doing requires a tune.
even gears, you will have to retune the speedo.
there is just no way around modding with these newer cars, you gotta retune if you are going to mod.
changing to an x from an h with no other modification will get you 0-5 hp or torque, tops.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:39 PM
VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

From skimming through this thread, you seem to have the idea in mind that horsepower and torque are separate commodities, i.e. you can only choose one, not both. This isn't true! Just because most manufacturer's claimed gains are advertised in +X amount of horsepower doesn't mean you won't gain any torque.

Most simple bolt-on's for the 5.0 will result in a fairly similar horsepower/torque gain. However, tunes are crazy for low end horsepower/torque. Someone from Steeda mentioned something about how the stock tune pulls timing down low for seemingly no reason, even with full traction. Low RPM torque gains are crazy with a tune, and you can really feel it. Power right off the line is massively increased...judging by your posts, a tune is what you're looking for.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:39 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

What does "warranty" and "modding" have to do with each other? Sooooo, how many years will you own the car before you do much of anything to improve performance? You'll probably get just as much BS flack from the dealer for gears, H-pipe or whatever. Only wusses allow the dealer to intimidate you with their illegal "your mod voids your warranty" mis-information. Mod your car and enjoy it.

Quick Reply: More Torque for Street