Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differential maintanence?

Old 06-08-2011, 02:47 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Default Differential maintanence?

I only have ~38k miles on my 06GT but when I removed the differential check plug recently there was a considerable amount of metal on the magnet, and the fluid was somewhat dirty. I know our differentials come with 75-140 synthetic from the factory and they don't recommend exchanging it until higher miles, but I want to drain it anyways and refill with Amsoil. I was going to wait until I could do a 4:10 install, but with zero funding at this time, I'll just swap it out now instead.

I was going to remove the old fluid with a vacuum canister, but with the gears directly behind the check plug it is hard to get a tube in there except for a very small diameter one. I want to make sure I get it all out and clean before the new stuff goes in. Would it be ok to remove the back plate, drain and wipe it all out, and then reinstall the back plate with a new gasket? Could I use something like parts cleaner to spray down the internals with?

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2011, 02:52 PM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by baddog671
I want to make sure I get it all out and clean before the new stuff goes in. Would it be ok to remove the back plate, drain and wipe it all out, and then reinstall the back plate with a new gasket? Could I use something like parts cleaner to spray down the internals with?

Thanks!
Yes, yes, and yes. That is how it is suppose to be done.
Except you use black RTV silicone as a gasket. There is no gasket for the stock cover. Although, some aftermarket diff covers do come with a new gasket.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:53 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I would take off the pumpkin cover like you described and do it right.

If you're planning on getting new gears though, why waste the money now? I'm in the same boat (33K miles). I want to get a new reinforced diff cover and change the fluid but since I'm also planning on getting gears. I'm going to wait to do mine all at once. I was also thinking of having the LSD rebuilt with carbon discs when I have the gears put in.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:15 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SCCAGT
Yes, yes, and yes. That is how it is suppose to be done.
Except you use black RTV silicone as a gasket. There is no gasket for the stock cover. Although, some aftermarket diff covers do come with a new gasket.
As for the RTV, I would simply put a heavy bead of it around the opening before reinstalling the plate, correct? I've never used the stuff. Aren't there different grades?, black, orange, etc...

Originally Posted by Derf00
I would take off the pumpkin cover like you described and do it right.

If you're planning on getting new gears though, why waste the money now? I'm in the same boat (33K miles). I want to get a new reinforced diff cover and change the fluid but since I'm also planning on getting gears. I'm going to wait to do mine all at once. I was also thinking of having the LSD rebuilt with carbon discs when I have the gears put in.
It was my original plan to change out the fluid when I have the gears installed since it would have to be done anyways, but I just moved from MD to FL and have no extra cash for mod goodies. Just trying to maintain the best as I can at this point untill I can find a position in my career. When I do finally get some money, I have tires to address asap, and thusly aftermarket wheels . So it could be awhile before I hit the gears, and I want my diff to be clean until then.

Last edited by baddog671; 06-08-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:31 PM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by baddog671
As for the RTV, I would simply put a heavy bead of it around the opening before reinstalling the plate, correct? I've never used the stuff. Aren't there different grades?, black, orange, etc...

Black, as I said. Doesnt take much of a bead. You can kind of tell how much by what you will be scrapping off to get a clean sruface.

Changing the fluid out is just good maintenence. Its been said here that gears dont need a break in period. One look at the magnet should be enough to realize that thought is wrong. They DO break-in.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:14 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Would brake cleaner be ok to use? Or general parts cleaner?
Old 06-08-2011, 06:07 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

It's in the dealership package for 30k mile maitenance, I did it but it was $390 for that and some other stuff.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:40 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2008GT/CSBuckeye
It's in the dealership package for 30k mile maitenance, I did it but it was $390 for that and some other stuff.
What was $390? The oil change???
Old 06-08-2011, 07:05 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

390 for a diff oil change is outrageous.
i paid 50.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:59 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

No it was an oil change, differential change oil change, tire rotation, cabin filter replacement, ect....It was a long list and in no way am I saying it was worth 390 bucks but nobody would pay 390 bucks for some fluid replacements.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Differential maintanence?