Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gas smell on 10 gt

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 05:14 PM
modru2004
2nd Gear Member

Default gas smell on 10 gt

this is baffling. and its completely random. as in the topic my car is a 2010 mustang gt. since ive had the car ive noticed on rare occasion, and when i say rare i mean rare, that ive gotten a faint whiff of gas for a brief moment and then its gone. ive always assumed it was a nearby vehicle. i mean were talking once a month rare if even that. so i never thought much of the issue.

but last month i was on a trip in dallas tx approaching i-35 about to get on traffic was slowing down (it was 5pm traffic was baaaad) and i remember hearing a loud pop. wasn't sure if something hit my car or what, maybe it was a nearby vehicle. but about a minute later the strong smell of gas came into the car. i mean STRONG. ended up with a headache from that. i rolled windows down but it didn't help much because when your stuck in traffic crawling you don't get much wind in the car lol.

for about the 10 minutes i was stuck in traffic trying to get off to a place i could pull over it stunk of gas so bad. i eventually got off and found a place to pull over. investigated the car, popped the hood, engine sound find, didn't see anything unusual. engine has continued to run and perform fine to the best of my knowledge.

after 5 minutes of checking the car out and letting it air out some i got back on the road headed to my hotel. could still faintly smell the gas but it eventually went away and it hadn't been back since......till today. because the smell went away after i got out of traffic i thought maybe it was one of the nearby vehicles i was stuck crawling with at a snails pace. so i took a wait and see attitude because i couldn't see/hear anything wrong with the car and the smell was agone.

well fast forward to today. i was driving to work when i approached a 4 way stop slowing down. all of the sudden the car is flooded with the strong smell of gas. i mean it was like someone just poored a puddle of gas in my lap and the smell was everywhere. couldn't tell where it was coming from for sure.

fortunently im not stuck in traffic this time so i get back up to speed with the windows rolled down and air it out and after a minute or so the smell is gone. got to work and glanced around the car, but didn't have time to inspect it thoroughly. but the smell is gone again and the car seems fine.

oh just to clarify some specifics. the last time this happened was the 13th of may.(Friday 13th lol). and it just happened again today almost a month apart. so you see what i mean by a rare occurrence and why this is so strange.

any thoughts? im thinking about taking it in, but what do i say? "once in a blue moon my car stinks of gas real bad but its fine right now..." heh i dont' imagine that would be real helpful.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:27 PM
White05GT
3rd Gear Member

I'd get it checked at the dealer. You don't want it catching on fire...
Old 06-09-2011, 06:04 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by White05GT
I'd get it checked at the dealer. You don't want it catching on fire...
I agree, with something like that I think it's best to get a thorough checkup at the dealer to make sure there isn't some sort of weird leak going on with the car. Be careful man.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:38 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

+1 have it checked out. Smelling gas while driving is never a good thing and a sign that something is wrong.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:04 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

You may have a slight clog in the Evap vent tube or even a small crack in the fuel fill neck that isn't severe enough to set a CEL. I see it all the time on various different models.