Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those who have personally installed a Saleen Supercharger

Old 06-10-2011, 09:11 AM
jwharton
2nd Gear Member

Default For those who have personally installed a Saleen Supercharger

I am considering the Saleen Super Shaker supercharger as my next upgrade. I was thinking about going with the Paxton Throwback centri-charger since I had installed the CDC Shaker scoop, but when I learned that the CDC shaker hole I already have in the hood will line up with the Saleen, I am strongly reconsidering. I really would like a twin-screw over the centri. I wrench fairly well, I have put centri-chargers on 4 other vehichles and do most of my own wrenching. I must admit that the older I get, the less of the harder stuff I do myself. Brenspeed knows what they are doing and I have no issues with hiring them to do the install but is not cheap and it is a fair journey for me, so I was wondering how tuff the job is. For those who have installed one themselves, could you give me your insight to the install experience?
Thanks!
Old 06-10-2011, 09:27 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

The install of the supercharger itself is as easy as installing the intake manifold, just much heavier. I used a cherry picket to lower it on as I was solo at the time. As long as you're comfy following directions you're fine.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:28 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Will post more when I'm at a computer.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:29 AM
jwharton
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Siggy!
Old 06-10-2011, 09:36 AM
zoomerman46
1st Gear Member

It sounds like you have the knowledge and wrenching experience to do the job. I along with my best friend installed a Series VI on my 05 GT in about 11 hours back in 2006. I would say if you can read and follow the Saleen instructions you would not have any problems at all. I can't think of anything that jumps out at me now that posed any problems during the install. Make sure the kit has the tool to spin off the altenator pulley as you have to reverse it end for end. There's a little wiring you need to do for the intecooler pump and and TB senor as I recall. Nothing to hard.
Questions for you are if you go with the Saleen are you going to use the Saleen tune? There tune is not very aggressive. Are you going to use the stock 4.0 pulley? I had a SCT tuner already and bouhgt a e-mail tune and went with a 3.6 pulley and 39 lb injectors as my setup. Eventualy went to a local tuner and setup the car on a Mustang Dyno . Hi flow catted x-pipe and Ford Racing TB netted out at 450 rwhp and 424 tq with 7.5 lbs of boost.
I have had zero issues with the SC. Just love the lowend torque and power this thing puts out.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:51 AM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

I went from the CDC Shaker to the Super Shaker since I already had the hole ...

I did the install over 3 days. Had 2 friends come over when I was ready to install the actual S/C since it's heavy and awkward. The Saleen instructions are very good. Also read through the many Saleen installation threads and articles available via Google Search.

The only special tool I needed that wasn't already in my tool box was to remove the Alternator Pulley. I rented a pressure tester to fill the Cooling systems but I ended up not using it.

I did not use Saleens tune (couldn't even if I wanted to... they didn't have a 2010 Super Shaker tune) .. so I went with JDM tune. You have lots of mods so you will need a custom tune anyway ... ALSO ... you must put the factory pulley's back on ... can't use the underdrive pulleys.

Also .. the CDC Shaker Trim will not work with the Saleen Shaker ... which is unfortunate since the CDC trim has a very nice finished look.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:53 AM
jwharton
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Zoomerman46! I plan on using what comes in the Breenspeed package and I'm guessing it's the 4.0 pulley, don't know for sure, I will ask. I was planning on the Brenspeed tune as it is more agressive than the Saleen and I have the Detroit Rockers which they are good at tuning for. Is there a better place to pickup a kit if I install it myself?
Old 06-10-2011, 09:56 AM
jwharton
2nd Gear Member

dmhines, thanks for those pointers....good thing I kept my stock pullies Man that's too bad about the CDC trim....I worked so hard to get it just right, I'm a little OCD....well maybe a lot OCD.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:46 AM
zoomerman46
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jwharton
Thanks Zoomerman46! I plan on using what comes in the Breenspeed package and I'm guessing it's the 4.0 pulley, don't know for sure, I will ask. I was planning on the Brenspeed tune as it is more agressive than the Saleen and I have the Detroit Rockers which they are good at tuning for. Is there a better place to pickup a kit if I install it myself?
I don't think you can go wrong with Brenspeed.I bought my tuner from them before I installed the SC. I think their prices are as competitve as any and they have tons of experince with Saleen SC's. If you have looked at their site I guess you can see that they sell different packages based on what HP range your looking for. Most all will include th 39lb injectors and the correct size pulley to match the HP. Plus ther tunes are right on the money . No one had thoses packages availible back in 06 when I bought mine. I got a great deal on mine from Haney Motor Sports in Arizona.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:03 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

People have pretty much covered my advice. You may find one manifold bolt to be tricky, and it will be the bolt closest to the firewall on the passenger side. The boost bypass valve is there. You can get to it, but usually requires small turns so it takes awhile.

Have fun and feel free to post or PM if you have issues.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: For those who have personally installed a Saleen Supercharger