Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gears question and i need a good shop in GA

Old 06-11-2011, 02:28 AM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Default Gears question and i need a good shop in GA

Ok, so im sick of these 3.31 gears and barely being able to chirp second. Im ready for some 4.10s. My main concern is not knowing what all i will need for the install as well as a final price. I know there are tons of threads on gears but that makes it a bit hard to search for especially when every other thread mentions gears.
What all will i need aside from the $150 ford racing 4.10 gears?? My stang is at about 63k miles. I see they offer an install kit, bearking kit, and T-LOK rebuild kit. Will i need all of this?

And does anyone have and good shops in georgia? Preferably around the south atlanta area? And any ideas on the total cost for a gear install? i know ive seen quotes all the time but i cant recall any
Old 06-11-2011, 05:43 AM
Vader GT
4th Gear Member

Figure about an avg of $250 for an install at most perf shops. If your willing to come down to Jacksonville, I know 2 GREAT shops right of the top of my mind, PM me if needed.

You will also need some type of prgrammer to fix/adjust your speedo to the new gears.

As far as what you need, most perf shops have gear oil & shims readily available, although once you find a shop, it would not hurt to ask them.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:44 AM
mobydick
2nd Gear Member

MV performance, about half way between Winder and Athens.

Last edited by mobydick; 06-11-2011 at 05:46 AM.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:49 AM
CaneMustang
1st Gear Member

Shadow, You HAVE to go to MV performance - when I started to check around, they were by far the BEST price and the BEST reviews. I took my car to them and they changed the gear and lowered it for me. I was able to watch them as they did it...I have had NO PROBLEMS with my gear...Also, I just told them what gear I wanted (4:10) and they took care of the rest...They ordered the gear for me
Old 06-11-2011, 07:52 AM
tdbrown75
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CaneMustang
Shadow, You HAVE to go to MV performance - when I started to check around, they were by far the BEST price and the BEST reviews. I took my car to them and they changed the gear and lowered it for me. I was able to watch them as they did it...I have had NO PROBLEMS with my gear...Also, I just told them what gear I wanted (4:10) and they took care of the rest...They ordered the gear for me
Good advise... get the gears and stuff from the shop that does the install. Leaves you in a much better position down the road if you do encounter any issues. The extra few bucks saved buying on the net is not worth it in this case.

Tim
Old 06-11-2011, 07:55 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Kurgan Motorsports in Braselton hands down.... Give Bob a call, he will match prices!
Old 06-11-2011, 04:21 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

I sent an email to MV Performance. Ive actually heard of them before from a guy I talked to a while back who delivers motors. He said they do a lot of work on mustangs so that sounds like just what i need. Hopefully by july i can get them installed if the pricing is what im hoping for
Old 06-11-2011, 08:04 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

I just paid $281 at a very reputable north texas shop for just install and kit; can imagine it won't be that much more @ other places in the south. I also went from 3.31 to 4.10. You're going to have a blast with them, promise!
Have them box up the old gears for you too just in case; besides they make cool garage/mancave decoration once you clean them up.

Oh yeah, ask the shop beforehand about the T-Lok rebuild kit if you want it...I didn't do it but asked out of curiosity and the shop said I would have had to soak the discs in gear oil overnight before they could install them.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:27 AM
flyin_hawaiin
1st Gear Member

mv's lead tech is now my partner
Old 06-14-2011, 06:23 AM
mobydick
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
Kurgan Motorsports in Braselton hands down.... Give Bob a call, he will match prices!
Yep, Kurgan can get the job done also. He may be closer too!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gears question and i need a good shop in GA