Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another ready to purchase post...

Old 06-22-2011, 06:18 PM
grabberchips

Default another ready to purchase post...

hi all, new to the forums. I am looking at purchasing a 2012 base 3.7 manual in grabber blue. Received a fair offer on a purchase and on my trade in so overall I'm happy. Just waiting for my sales woman to finish up some paperwork and for me to check insurance rates.

So now on to the party pooper part of my post. I know it's summer out and I'm sure nobody wants to bring up winter, but this car will be my DD. Obviously snow tires would be a must for Michigan driving, just looking to hear if anyone has experience driving the 3.7 in a lot of snow. (tired searching old posts but there was a lot to read lol) Thanks guys. Was previously considering a mazdaspeed 3 but found this and hope it could be a safe DD for around my area (metro detroit).
Old 06-22-2011, 06:28 PM
KonaStangPete
2nd Gear Member

not a prob if your careful, watch your stopping distance...it pretty much triples, and gotta easy it way from dead stops else your not moving
Old 06-22-2011, 06:35 PM
grabberchips

Yeah, that makes sense. I know plenty of people who drove rwd Rangers in the snow around here lol. Are you running snow's in that pic? if so, how much did that run you? I know tire rack is a good resource to start with.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:10 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Hrm.. I read at least on the GT500 that you are NOT supposed to use snow tires.

I believe I may have read the same thing for my 06GT.
You might want to check into this. Read through your owners manual.

BTW.. there are plenty of guys here even with boosted V8's that drive fine in the winter. It's the driver and HOW you drive that makes the real difference.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:22 PM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

Driving in the snow isn't that hard. As others said earlier you just need to take your time and watch out for the idiots who don't know how to drive on snow. Since your car will be a manual you will have it easy and be able to choose your starting gear.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:38 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Do it, man, do it. Pull the trigger!!!
Old 06-22-2011, 08:21 PM
stang11v6
2nd Gear Member

I put Blizzak on the back and 3each 70 lb sandbags and I have NO problem getting to work and back and around. I live in kansas city. I have a 2011 v6 auto. I also had a 2006 v6 stick and did the same thing. Absolutely okay to put them on the stang.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:26 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
Hrm.. I read at least on the GT500 that you are NOT supposed to use snow tires.

I believe I may have read the same thing for my 06GT.
You might want to check into this. Read through your owners manual.

BTW.. there are plenty of guys here even with boosted V8's that drive fine in the winter. It's the driver and HOW you drive that makes the real difference.
Why would it be worse to use snow tires in any case? lol. There are plenty of people out there that run snow tires on their GTs at least (not to many GT500s running in snow), and they talk of the improvement that comes with snow tires.

In any case you should be able to drive in the winter, I would suggest snow tires to be safest though. I have the luxury of not having to take my car out when there's bad weather out, but if I didn't I wouldn't be driving my mustang in the snow without snow tires. Yes the mustang is better than some people give it credit for...but if I had the choice of driving a FWD or AWD car, it wouldn't be a question.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:38 PM
grabberchips

Thanks everyone!! stang11v6, I was just on tirerack and found some firestone winterforces for $105/ea and am thinking that would be the best bet to just throw them on the back. (I know most people wouldn't recommend it). I actually enjoy driving in the snow and this is a reassurance that this is definitely going to be a wise purchase! Will know for certain tomorrow night after work if the deal is on
Old 06-22-2011, 08:48 PM
mobydick
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by grabberchips
hi all, new to the forums. I am looking at purchasing a 2012 base 3.7 manual in grabber blue. Received a fair offer on a purchase and on my trade in so overall I'm happy. Just waiting for my sales woman to finish up some paperwork and for me to check insurance rates.

So now on to the party pooper part of my post. I know it's summer out and I'm sure nobody wants to bring up winter, but this car will be my DD. Obviously snow tires would be a must for Michigan driving, just looking to hear if anyone has experience driving the 3.7 in a lot of snow. (tired searching old posts but there was a lot to read lol) Thanks guys. Was previously considering a mazdaspeed 3 but found this and hope it could be a safe DD for around my area (metro detroit).
I think I would hold off purchase until ford get the Catching on Fire while You drive it issue solved!!