Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had to add a 6 point roll cage to the convertible

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 07:50 AM
JimC

Another friend with a convertible and I were standing there watching a motorcycle go down the track at 10.3 and about 130 mph and he had been pulled for running a 12.9 in his car. But I guess the thinking is that the guy on the motorcycle will be tossed away in a crash while we are strapped in to the car with the soft top overhead.

And Paul, I'm sure that you would get the same thing. Last year at Ubly they said "you can finish out today, but don't come back next year without the roll bar". At that time I was just dialing in the Xtreme and was running 13.1 - now it runs sub 13's
Old 06-25-2011, 08:57 AM
Mikado463
2nd Gear Member

Nice job..........Cr Mo or mild steel ??
Old 06-25-2011, 09:38 AM
MeanStang08
ChopShop Mod-tator

very nice.. now get a 5 point harness and a fire extinguisher mounted on that bad boy!

I love those stripes... really does make it look cooler.. I've never seen anybody do that..
Old 06-25-2011, 10:50 AM
JimC

thanks - and it is mild steel. Cro moly would have been a little more expensive. This one only cost me $1,100 installed.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:00 PM
Newwt

are hard tops still set at 12sec or did they change that? Do that make a roll cage that does interrupt the back seats? Gonna have to get a Baby on board sticker one day.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:41 PM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

Nice tight looking fit. Hard to keep the utility of the rear even with rollbars.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:29 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by Newwt
are hard tops still set at 12sec or did they change that? Do that make a roll cage that does interrupt the back seats? Gonna have to get a Baby on board sticker one day.
The reason mine is removable is so that my grandkids can ride in the back seat still. You don't want to have those back seat passengers exposed to those hard metal bars in an accident. You need the back bars for the cage to be legal (the first level is a 5 point - two to the back, two coming down on the main hoop, and one going to the floor next to the driver footwell - but you might as well add the 6th point and have a bar going to the other side as well).
Old 06-27-2011, 11:45 PM
2011V6Conv
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
The reason mine is removable is so that my grandkids can ride in the back seat still. You don't want to have those back seat passengers exposed to those hard metal bars in an accident. You need the back bars for the cage to be legal (the first level is a 5 point - two to the back, two coming down on the main hoop, and one going to the floor next to the driver footwell - but you might as well add the 6th point and have a bar going to the other side as well).
Not sure I understand - what part is removable? it seems that special bar you have is fixed and it makes the rear seat almost unusable, isn't it?
Old 06-28-2011, 05:44 AM
JimC

Originally Posted by 2011V6Conv
Not sure I understand - what part is removable? it seems that special bar you have is fixed and it makes the rear seat almost unusable, isn't it?
The entire cage is removable. The door bars come out by pulling the pin at the top and the bolt at the bottom (I remove them for daily driving). Then the main hoop comes out by pulling out the 8 bolts in the floor, pull the back seat bottom out and undo the 8 bolts holding the back bars, and the entire thing comes out of the car.

A removable harness bar (the "special fixed bar") isn't track legal. Plus I wouldn't want my granddaugthers riding back there even with the harness bar removed. One side hit or quick turn and their heads would be hitting against the back bars. So yes, even if the harness bar was removable the back seat would still be unusable in reality.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:30 PM
2011V6Conv
1st Gear Member

I guess my question is whether the whole thing is removable easily (e.g. you do it once in a while, and sometimes have the car without the cage) or is it something that takes many hours and/or require a shop - and may be done only when you sell the car.

I've been thinking about getting a cage to be able to go on a track once in a while; but it is not something I want to be fixed on the car from now on ...

Quick Reply: Had to add a 6 point roll cage to the convertible