Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had to add a 6 point roll cage to the convertible

Old 06-24-2011, 08:19 PM
JimC

Default Had to add a 6 point roll cage to the convertible

Once you get a convertible quicker than 13.49 in the quarter mile a 6 point is required. I had one custom fabricated since I couldn't find what I needed and wanted.

We finally had a day where I could get some pictures of the changes that Bobby (Custom Fabrication - new website coming www.customfabrication.com) did to the harness bar last weekend. He took the straight bar out and put a bent one in. I can now recline the seat back and get it set up at a comfortable position.

I also added something today since I had a little time. Had to make it stand out just a little more when the top is down.

And -- added the stripe to the bar

Old 06-24-2011, 08:57 PM
2007bluestang
4th Gear Member

I really like that
Old 06-24-2011, 09:17 PM
atldave
2nd Gear Member

The stripe really finishes it off perfectly. I also like the white piping on the door panels that picks up the theme. Looks like a clean fabrication, and Bobby did a nice job matching the color to the interior. Having a convertible myself, I just have to say one thing: either you aren't married, your wife doesn't ever ride with you, or your wife is wired a lot different than mine is. For my wife, even putting the top down is a big adventure.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:25 PM
JimC

Thanks - I couldn't decide on the stripe then decided it was only vinyl and if I didn't like it could take it off easily. Looks like this winter will be time to pull the cage out and paint the stripe. I like how it turned out and no one will ask again if something happened to the top since the "mechanism is still up".

My wife does ride in the car sometimes, but prefers her car when we go places. She thinks that my car rides too rough with all the suspension changes.

The door bars are removable, plus they swing out when they are installed - you can see the pin at the top of the door bar to release it. But I pull them out unless I'm headed to the track (or in this case, getting some pictures for Bobby). She actually rode in the car the other day and the passenger side door bar was in. I just had to help her get in and out.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:38 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

so a stock shelby convertible needs a roll cage otherwise it cant run at the track?

EDIT - Not even, just a stock gt would
Old 06-25-2011, 01:37 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Looks great Jim! I can't say I have ever seen stripes on a roll bar with a vert before!
Old 06-25-2011, 01:51 AM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Thats awesome looking, Jim.
I love the stripe.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:02 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

That is simply beautiful Jim, and adding the stripe completed it looks-wise (heck, if you gotta add it, it might as well look cool too )

I haven't been near a track since the intercooler went in, sort of hesitant to to, as I suspect I'll be in the same boat.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:03 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

Looks really nice. Didn't know that a 13.49 was the cut though.

Originally Posted by atldave
For my wife, even putting the top down is a big adventure.
Most women have that problem at some point or another
Old 06-25-2011, 06:33 AM
mobydick
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by grabber blue gt
so a stock shelby convertible needs a roll cage otherwise it cant run at the track?

EDIT - Not even, just a stock gt would
Last I heard NHRA rules were any open top vehicle that runs 13.5 or quicker needs a roll bar and any open top vehicle quicker then 12.5 need a full cage! Gainesville will run you off without a roll bar @ 13.00

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Had to add a 6 point roll cage to the convertible