Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost 2 months of owning a tuner, never getting to use it...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 01:14 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Default Almost 2 months of owning a tuner, never getting to use it...

Some of you may recall me posting about finally buying a CAI and tuner a while back. I received a faulty tuner but I managed to get it working just long enough to load one of my custom tunes. I called American Muscle and was told I would need to go through SCT. A couple weeks after purchasing my tuner I have to pay shipping to have it fixed? Oh well, it was only like $14. So i finally got the tuner back and plug it in and it powers right up unlike before. Theres one problem, im still custom tuned but the tuner is reset to stock with no tunes. I called SCT and they didnt have much of an answer for me other then to just try loading one of my custom tunes. After talking with them more we kinda decided I may be able to trick the tuner into thinking my current (custom) tune is actually the stock tune and still be able to use it but I have no idea how i can ever return to stock if i needed to. So i emailed the guy at AM that i originally talked to about the tuner requesting a copy of my tune files. A few days later I still dont have an answer so I emailed the support part of AM. Still new answer a few days later. So Im pretty much stuck here waiting on a problem to fix itself I suppose. If i get a chance in the next day or two I will actually call them, but seriously how hard is it to answer an email over the period of a week?

anyone had similar tuner problems and resolved it somehow? If tricking the tuner doesnt work the only other way i know of it to have the dealership reflash it to stock which is BS if i have to pay for that.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:30 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Although AM is loved around here I also had tuning issues with them to be honest. For me the problem was that I ordered my tuner, and they billed me immediately which is fine because I assumed they'd ship it shortly. Ended up waiting over a month with no tuner since they were waiting to work out kinks in a tune for my PCM. Just ended up taking so long that I asked for my money back and to just cancel the order. I just don't like the idea of having my cash in someone elses pocket without any product lol

Ended up going with Brenspeed and I'm really happy, Doug worked with me through any hiccups and finally got me a set of great tunes.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:57 PM
shad2009
5th Gear Member

don't call American Muscle...call Bama directly, they are the ones that have your tune files and can email them out to you
Old 06-25-2011, 05:10 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Shadow means his factory tune was loaded in the SCT and had to have it reset; losing the factory tune. Bama won't have that.

I had the same problem (tuner went bad AFTER loading custon tune on car-had to get it reset by SCT; losing factory tune) and was told the only solution is a factory reflash at the dealership BEFORE reloading the custum tunes onto the tuner and then onto the car.
I just drove it to the dealership, had them reflash factory tune right there, and then loaded the custom tune into it. Sucks, but was worth the $75 for piece of mind. I now have the factory tune backed up on my home computer like I should have done in the first place.
Also you don't have to trick the tuner into anything; whatever tune is on the car when custom tunes are loaded is what it sees as the factory tune.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:19 PM
magnido45
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ricardo
Shadow means his factory tune was loaded in the SCT and had to have it reset; losing the factory tune. Bama won't have that.

I had the same problem (tuner went bad AFTER loading custon tune on car-had to get it reset by SCT; losing factory tune) and was told the only solution is a factory reflash at the dealership BEFORE reloading the custum tunes onto the tuner and then onto the car.
I just drove it to the dealership, had them reflash factory tune right there, and then loaded the custom tune into it. Sucks, but was worth the $75 for piece of mind. I now have the factory tune backed up on my home computer like I should have done in the first place.
Also you don't have to trick the tuner into anything; whatever tune is on the car when custom tunes are loaded is what it sees as the factory tune.
seems like Ricardo has the best answer here...pay the dealership $75 to reflash the factory tune and your all set!
Old 06-25-2011, 08:58 PM
shad2009
5th Gear Member

oh, i must have mis-read...then yea, i agree with taking it to the dealer and having them reflash the factory tune
Old 06-25-2011, 09:18 PM
mayo
4th Gear Member

I now have the factory tune backed up on my home computer like I should have done in the first place.
Be sure to do this so you will always have access to your stock setup after your reflash! Sucks man, hope you get this resolved soon...and while I will agree that AM is awesome, they do not feed my machine only dress her up
BRENSPEED RULZ come feedin time!

Old 06-25-2011, 10:40 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

So then once i get my tunes emailed to me I can load them right away and it will save the current tune as stock?? If i can do that then I wont bother with the dealership because i doubt ill ever need the stock tune again. Also if its possible to edit the stock tune on the computer then i could just request a tune from bama for a stock car and overwrite it so if i unmarry the tuner then a "stock" custom tune is loaded so everything will still function??

Im long out of my warranty, my main issue is getting it working and not having to pay $75 for a tuner i received faulty
Old 06-25-2011, 10:57 PM
caaraa
2nd Gear Member

Old 06-26-2011, 02:32 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Go to the dealer like Ricardo said. They will put your stock tune on there.
Then plug in your SCT.

If it does not save it automatically there is an option to save it I believe and you can do it manually. THEN go put your custom tunes on the tuner. After that load the tune you want on the car.

Quick Reply: Almost 2 months of owning a tuner, never getting to use it...