Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When pushing past the "safe" zone

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 06:09 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roush05
stealth, what do you have done to your block?

loots, what kind of power do you make?
His seems to be stock!

Stealths*
Old 06-27-2011, 08:24 AM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

well crap. now i'm tempted to go ahead and put it on!
Old 06-27-2011, 01:29 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

U will be fine with with your stock block and that supercharger. Just keep everything with in reason and upgrade as time and finances allows you too.

Not sure how mechanically inclined you are but if you ever swap out the motor for a 302. I believe its somewhere around 7k for the install, motor and all misc. stuff u will need.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:17 PM
Mustangansta
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
ps
stay out of boosting into final (5th) gear and no top speed runs!
I'ver heard this many times before? Please explain as to why no top speed runs in 5th with boost.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:43 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustangansta
I'ver heard this many times before? Please explain as to why no top speed runs in 5th with boost.
I'm curious as well. I thought it was mainly high rpm and lean conditions that cause piston and rod damage.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:48 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

5th, being an overdrive gear, can tend to lug the engine a bit. You don't want to be at a low RPM with sustained boost for long, as it puts a lot of extra strain on the connecting rods. With the air resistance at those speeds, think of how long it takes you to climb the RPM ladder versus when you're in gears 1-4.

High RPM and lean conditions do cause damage, but so can low RPM and high boost conditions. The inertia of the motor spinning at higher RPM can actually help in terms of relieving rod tension. It seems when our motors go, it's typically the rods.

OP, I am running a forged stroker shortblock from Brenspeed. I think I paid about 3600 something + 170 or so in shipping. Then probably another 1-1.5k in misc stuff, a lot of which I wouldn't have had to replace if my motor didn't go. You can reuse all your cam/cam timing stuff (phasers, sprockets, followers etc) so long as the engine was running fine when you removed them. That stuff alone costs me an additional 800 I think.

Last edited by siggyfreud; 07-07-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Mustangansta
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
5th, being an overdrive gear, can tend to lug the engine a bit. You don't want to be at a low RPM with sustained boost for long, as it puts a lot of extra strain on the connecting rods. With the air resistance at those speeds, think of how long it takes you to climb the RPM ladder versus when you're in gears 1-4.

High RPM and lean conditions do cause damage, but so can low RPM and high boost conditions. The inertia of the motor spinning at higher RPM can actually help in terms of relieving rod tension. It seems when our motors go, it's typically the rods.

OP, I am running a forged stroker shortblock from Brenspeed. I think I paid about 3600 something + 170 or so in shipping. Then probably another 1-1.5k in misc stuff, a lot of which I wouldn't have had to replace if my motor didn't go. You can reuse all your cam/cam timing stuff (phasers, sprockets, followers etc) so long as the engine was running fine when you removed them. That stuff alone costs me an additional 800 I think.

so with that said, it's not recommended to run top speed events if you have forced induction applications? with stock block or forged internals?
i.e whatever top speed i can get to while in 4th gear i should consider my top speed. I as might as well turn off my o/d permanently as there seems to be no use for it.

How do other high powered automobiles deal with this?
Old 07-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Locke_03
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roush05
well crap. now i'm tempted to go ahead and put it on!
I’m no expert but I will throw my 2 cents in. Around 450 HP or so you may want to consider replacing the two piece driveshaft with a aluminum one piece, I have heard stories of guys almost ripping theirs in half with only 450 HP but I’m pretty sure they were on the SC hard all the time and they dragged at a local track.
Next rule of thumb, at around 500HP start thinking forged internals.
With the V3 HO it’s around the 450HP so maybe consider the drive shaft but not a requirement.
As far as clutches go I know plenty of people running SC with stock and no problems.
If you plan on taking this to the track a lot then I recommend a clutch (http://www.americanmuscle.com/spec-s...gt-clutch.html) but if this is your daily driver I don’t see the need.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:46 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

at about 450 rwhp, my stock clutch was slipping with only a few months after the install.
the stock clutch will not hold over 400 rwhp for very long.
when doing a 1 piece DS, get the safety loop as well. you dont want that DS coming thru the floorboard and causing a disaster.
you can do high speed runs, just not in overdrive bc not only is it bad for your engine, but you wont go any faster either.
overdrive is for saving gas, not for speed.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:25 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Well, IF you wind out 4th gear to say 6000rpms, 5th will start out around 3500RPM which is well within the power band and doesn't bog down like say when going into boost in 5th from the speed limit.

Quick Reply: When pushing past the "safe" zone