Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Shifting w/tci Shifter Creating To Much Heat?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 05:46 PM
Mustangansta
2nd Gear Member

Default Auto Shifting w/tci Shifter Creating To Much Heat?

I was using my tci shifter yesterday and when doing so, the motor got super hot! I felt the heat in the cabin by my feet and started to smell antifreeze - then the overheat light came on and steam out the hood. I pull over to cool and then continued to just leave it in drive the rest of the way home. it was fine after that, all conditions normal.

What gives? any ideas? anyone have similar problems? What could be the reason for this? Can i not shift the gears on my own?

I noticed the antifreeze is a little low.

Also for additional info, i have stock auto trans with 3200 stall p.i converter. and this is the first time its happened.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:18 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Maybe you were holding it in gears for to long. What were you shifting at? I notice my motor does get a little hot when I shift manually, but thats when I'm driving it hard and shifting at 4500+
Old 06-27-2011, 07:27 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Little off subject here but how do u like ur stall. Did it improve ur track times by .5
Old 06-28-2011, 12:24 AM
mac's mustang

Yeah i had the same question, is "manually" shifting an automatic bad for the tranny/engine?
Old 06-28-2011, 12:35 AM
2011V6Conv
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by grabber blue gt
Maybe you were holding it in gears for to long. What were you shifting at? I notice my motor does get a little hot when I shift manually, but thats when I'm driving it hard and shifting at 4500+
Forgive my ignorance, but aren't these cars built to be able to shift closer to the red line here and there without major issues? If not, I'd expect Ford to put the red line much lower ...
Old 06-28-2011, 12:40 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2011V6Conv
Forgive my ignorance, but aren't these cars built to be able to shift closer to the red line here and there without major issues? If not, I'd expect Ford to put the red line much lower ...
O I've definitely shifted closer to red line thats why I said 4500+. Driving hard doesnt always mean flooring the **** out of the car all the time, just driving harder and accelerating faster than normal lol.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:43 AM
Mustangansta
2nd Gear Member

Maybe when shifting the gears on my own i tend to leave it in 2nd or 3rd longer with the rpms higher than they should be causing the engine to over heat??? I dont hit the limiter though but in this nyc traffic i can keep it in 2nd or 3rd and cruise in that gear. and thats what seemed to get her blood boiling
Old 06-28-2011, 09:51 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustangansta
Maybe when shifting the gears on my own i tend to leave it in 2nd or 3rd longer with the rpms higher than they should be causing the engine to over heat??? I dont hit the limiter though but in this nyc traffic i can keep it in 2nd or 3rd and cruise in that gear. and thats what seemed to get her blood boiling
Old 06-28-2011, 12:18 PM
Mustangansta
2nd Gear Member

it seems i have to be at like 5k rpm to get that thing infull boost so i hardly ever get in boost or if i am im in traffic and i have to let off quick cause it flies.
update:

I just called my shop cause i have to get an exhaust leak fixed tomorrow and they said thats probably it. I might have blown an exhaust head gasket
Old 06-28-2011, 05:06 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustangansta
it seems i have to be at like 5k rpm to get that thing infull boost so i hardly ever get in boost or if i am im in traffic and i have to let off quick cause it flies.
update:

I just called my shop cause i have to get an exhaust leak fixed tomorrow and they said thats probably it. I might have blown an exhaust head gasket
Good luck ! Just dont let "Mustang Tragic" rip you off, if thats where your going, with anything you dont need. I have personally never used them so I cant speak but I have a few friends (prefer not to mention names) who dont like that shop for various reasons.