Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what to do? (shaker500/dead battery)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 04:22 AM
pandastang
1st Gear Member

Default what to do? (shaker500/dead battery)

Hey all,

I'm new here and I have read many threads discussing the problem Ford has had with the shaker500 head unit, I believe I'm another owner having the same issue. I recently bought my car from the dealer (nissan) and on the day I took it home I noticed that the lights on the radio itself did not work, no biggie. I was excited to see that I had an aux connection so i tried plugging my iphone and go thru the aux options and I only get the sirius presets and a number to call...no line in.
Couple of days later I try to get in my car to go to work and the battery is completely dead, couldn't even jump it. Dealer came to the house and towed it back to check it out. I made them aware that the radio and battery were bad but they decided to only replace the battery. Now they are telling me that I still have the original warranty from Ford since im under 35k and they should replace it and if for some reason Ford decides not to help me out that we will figure from there.
I have read lots of threads about this, but they are older and I couldn't seem to find the solution to this problem, now my questions are:

-Will Ford replace the stereo or should Nissan do it?
-If replaced, will I keep having the same issue?
-Did Ford ever get the radio fixed for owners that needed to swap em out?

I'm going to Ford tomorrow so wish me luck. Any info/advice will be awesome!
Old 06-29-2011, 06:49 AM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Replace the Shaker with a new after market head...will sound a LOT better and you wont have it killing the battery...I used Pioneer heads in my cars....
I doubt you will get any kind of help from the warranty....
Old 06-29-2011, 07:00 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If you're experiencing battery issues and have read the many threads on this, then you may likely have a weak alternator. I'd have that load tested also.

The dealer may deny warranty repair since you're over the 36 month waaranty period regardless of the mileage. But I'd resolve the electrical issues first and then see if the Shaker is the smoking gun, making sure you turn it OFF before shutting off the ignition.

If I were you, I'd be troubleshooting to see where the current drain is coming from. No sense trashing the Shaker if it's not the culprit.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:50 AM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Hey Nuke heres one for ya...I took delivery of my 06 GT in May of 06...has now
27K...and still the stock battery!! Of course I got rid of the POS Shaker head early on so it never drained it...
Old 06-29-2011, 11:34 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lifter583
Hey Nuke heres one for ya...I took delivery of my 06 GT in May of 06...has now
27K...and still the stock battery!! Of course I got rid of the POS Shaker head early on so it never drained it...
Hey Lifter, here's TWO for YOU...

Both my '06 V6 and '07 GT still have the Shaker 500 and both still have the OE MotorCrap battery! So I'm one-up on you!

I'm surprised, too...
Old 06-29-2011, 11:47 AM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Hey Lifter, here's TWO for YOU...

Both my '06 V6 and '07 GT still have the Shaker 500 and both still have the OE MotorCrap battery! So I'm one-up on you!

I'm surprised, too...
LMAO!! well come to think of it... all 3 cars still have the OE batteries I am sure they will go at the same time...and I still hate the Shaker heads!
Old 06-29-2011, 12:35 PM
pandastang
1st Gear Member

I'm going to Ford in a bit so we will see how that goes, not getting my hopes up. Hopefully if not them my dealer will take care of it, manager there said they might just even cut me a check and I can just pick up an aftermarket unit. Im thinking they should at least get it fixed since I just bought the car from them last Thursday and I doubt that they will keep wanting to replace my battery and towing my car ha
Old 06-29-2011, 01:14 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pandastang
I'm going to Ford in a bit so we will see how that goes, not getting my hopes up. Hopefully if not them my dealer will take care of it, manager there said they might just even cut me a check and I can just pick up an aftermarket unit. Im thinking they should at least get it fixed since I just bought the car from them last Thursday and I doubt that they will keep wanting to replace my battery and towing my car ha
Sounds like they will work with you...good luck...
Old 06-30-2011, 03:22 AM
pandastang
1st Gear Member

good news everyone, stereo works again! dealer said that most likely the battery was the original, and being that i live in hot *** az batteries dont last so i should be good with the replacement. im just glad to have music. i want to lower i first then worry about the audio system.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:06 AM
greytung06gt
1st Gear Member

my car is an 06 GT 36k miles org batt shaker 1000 no problems in AZ

Quick Reply: what to do? (shaker500/dead battery)