Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling seats?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 09:57 PM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

My AC didn't work for crap for the first few thousand miles. Now that I have 6,000 miles on it, it seems to start working much faster. Perhaps there is a break-in for the AC? lol
Old 07-21-2011, 12:05 PM
CincyGT2009
2nd Gear Member

I don't think blowing heat would help at all. Basically run it without recirc or Max for a few minutes (or better yet drive with the windows down a few min) to let the hot air out, then keep it on Max or recirc so the AC doesn't have to keep cooling the hot outside air the while time.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:11 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Cooling seats. Such a neat idea with these leather seats.
Especially for us folks with black cars and black leather.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:15 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by Fort LiquordaleGT
Cooling seats will not cool you down any faster than just getting in the car rolling the windows down with the AC on blast then roll windows back up after driving 15 seconds.

Here in Fort Liquordale where it's Africa hot it takes me 1 minute to cool my ride down. Also using a sun shade really helps and only costs you ten bucks.

Modern AC systems have rendered cooling seats moot, just another system that adds weight and can break. Plus remote start solves all these issues.

I disagree with this as well.
The back of your seat in 100 plus weather stays hot AFTER the AC has cooled off the air in the car. I'm in West Texas and I can tell you this FOR SURE. Cooling seats WOULD work and would be a nice addition to comfort, as I said before, especially for those of us with black cars, interiors, and black leather.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:43 AM
Fort LiquordaleGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
I disagree with this as well.
The back of your seat in 100 plus weather stays hot AFTER the AC has cooled off the air in the car. I'm in West Texas and I can tell you this FOR SURE. Cooling seats WOULD work and would be a nice addition to comfort, as I said before, especially for those of us with black cars, interiors, and black leather.

I may just live in the hottest humid climate in the entire country. I'm not sure where else is has this combo of hot weather and humidity. A sun shade is ten bucks and does more than any seat vent system could ever do mean while it can't break, doesn't increase cost and doesn't add weight. If people want all these features buy a Caddy instead.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:45 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fort LiquordaleGT
I may just live in the hottest humid climate in the entire country. I'm not sure where else is has this combo of hot weather and humidity. A sun shade is ten bucks and does more than any seat vent system could ever do mean while it can't break, doesn't increase cost and doesn't add weight. If people want all these features buy a Caddy instead.
We deal with the same thing here, hot and humid. I have 5% tint on the back windows and 25% up front, with a sun shade in the windshield it make a WORLD of a difference. Ive never been in a car with cooling seats so I really cant compare, so I don't know if I'm truly missing out.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:09 PM
MythEyeLess
3rd Gear Member

I got an idea. First you're going to have to perforate your leather seats. Pretty much where ever u want the cooling to be. Find one of the AC ducts and run a line to the bottom of the seat and let the hose blow on a flat piece of plastic at the end. Now the plastic is so that the air doesnt directly hit ur seats directly, and you get a equal cooling on all sides of perforated seats. Or.. you can just look at what they did and take their components. You will probably need a stronger alternator while your at it. I've thought about doing it too. Sounds awesome.... Plus Vegas 110+ degree weather is no fun with black leather.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:56 PM
2011Kona3.7L
1st Gear Member

2003-2006 Lincoln LS's had them. It was another duct that ran into the seats. I'll never have leather again without heated/cooled functions. Woman wears short skirt and her thighs are sticking to the seat, and you're sitting in ball soup.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:14 PM
CincyGT2009
2nd Gear Member

I think the thing some are missing when talking about keeping the interior cool doing the same thing as cooled seats is that for some people (like myself) who tend to be hot-natured, your back (and often backside) makes enough heat on its own to keep your shirt or shorts stuck to the pleather seats even if the car is cooled completely down. My back gets sweaty as crap on long road trips, even in the winter...
Old 07-26-2011, 12:30 AM
Mr.Bape
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2011Kona3.7L
2003-2006 Lincoln LS's had them. It was another duct that ran into the seats. I'll never have leather again without heated/cooled functions. Woman wears short skirt and her thighs are sticking to the seat, and you're sitting in ball soup.
So it's pretty much an extra duct running into the seats? I'll ask about that.

Quick Reply: Cooling seats?