Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experimental Liquid Cooling System (Just An Idea)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 05:14 PM
Norse1974
3rd Gear Member

OP, dont listen to these guys....You do your thing as long as your in another state away from me. lol
Old 07-08-2011, 05:31 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ford_Dude
LOX is the abbreviation for liquid oxygen
I stand corrected.

However, liquid oxygen on its own is not explosive. I'm sure in an engine it could do wonderful things lol. But I believe like NOS, it's a catalyst. But I'm no chem engineer . . .
Old 07-08-2011, 08:30 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

the N in NOS makes it more stable they did test pure O2 way back when and found it was far to unstable
DO NOT HOOK PURE O2 to your engine

and hopegully there are restrictions to prevent you from buying LOX

Last edited by Ford_Dude; 07-08-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:31 PM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
I stand corrected.

However, liquid oxygen on its own is not explosive. I'm sure in an engine it could do wonderful things lol. But I believe like NOS, it's a catalyst. But I'm no chem engineer . . .
Boy, you sure as hell got that right.

LOX is un****ingbelievably explosive, and will detonate (not explode, detonate) upon contact with grease of any sort. This includes the oils on your hands. On board aircraft carriers (on board which I work), the LOX plant is a very carefully controlled environment that is kept to laboratory-clean standards. Its workers wear special boots with no wax of any sort on them (wax will detonate LOX), and wear special gloves to work with it. It has basically bomb-proof doors with a separate fire extinguishing system that will extinguish all fire, and life, in it within seconds should a fire develop. That's how big a deal it is.

Please don't handle LOX, any of you, if you don't have the requisite training (of which there is lots) and experience. It is some dangerous stuff, and will kill you, and everybody within 25 feet of you, in an instant if you make the slightest error.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:39 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

I sure as hell hope you know what you're doing and have the knowledge/certifications/experience/etc to do so. Not exactly something I'd play around with
Old 07-08-2011, 09:40 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
Boy, you sure as hell got that right.

LOX is un****ingbelievably explosive, and will detonate (not explode, detonate) upon contact with grease of any sort. This includes the oils on your hands. On board aircraft carriers (on board which I work), the LOX plant is a very carefully controlled environment that is kept to laboratory-clean standards. Its workers wear special boots with no wax of any sort on them (wax will detonate LOX), and wear special gloves to work with it. It has basically bomb-proof doors with a separate fire extinguishing system that will extinguish all fire, and life, in it within seconds should a fire develop. That's how big a deal it is.

Please don't handle LOX, any of you, if you don't have the requisite training (of which there is lots) and experience. It is some dangerous stuff, and will kill you, and everybody within 25 feet of you, in an instant if you make the slightest error.
and that is why I don't go near LOX or LH2 for that matter (I know enough to stay the **** away from that)

though in the right setup it would be interesting to see that detonation (ie video camera plc controled robot ect)

Last edited by Ford_Dude; 07-08-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:13 AM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

I have my chemicals. It was used to cool and boost WWII aircraft engines. I'm keeping it secret for now, but my friend who took AP chemistry says its a go for testing. I just need to find a way to compress the 2 gas elements into liquid form, and the liquid element controlled. I'm going to buy a cheap 4cyl engine to test my theory on.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:00 AM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Young_Gun
I have my chemicals. It was used to cool and boost WWII aircraft engines. I'm keeping it secret for now, but my friend who took AP chemistry says its a go for testing. I just need to find a way to compress the 2 gas elements into liquid form, and the liquid element controlled. I'm going to buy a cheap 4cyl engine to test my theory on.
Dude, I took that class in high school too... Then I got to college and realized how worthless it was.

You have my blessing, but I think this might end in disaster if you don't have a sterile lab/controlled environment to do the work in.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:13 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Yes but technically doesn't it need another added chemical to become explosive? That's what I was saying.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:47 AM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
Yes but technically doesn't it need another added chemical to become explosive? That's what I was saying.
oil on your skin, oil on cylinder walls, oil in the intake from the pvc, ect ect

Quick Reply: Experimental Liquid Cooling System (Just An Idea)