Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011-12 GT Manual ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 07:39 PM
itsy

Default 2011-12 GT Manual ?

getting close to pulling the trigger on ordering a GT base, but a couple of pieces of research are starting to concern me and pushing me away from the mustang.ran

Manual transmission issues, I only drive manual cars so this is a key issue, how big of a problem is this? a small percentage or something above 10% of all manual cars have issues with the transmission? anything above 10% is too high of risk of getting stuck with a lemon. Does not seem that Ford has even acknowledged it being a problem

TSB on void the warranty if the car has basic upgrades (such as CAI). Even if they can't prove any damage has even occurred. Now i know technically they can't until they can prove it, but it seems Ford is taking an aggressive stance voiding the warranty and then having you fight them to honor it.. in essence putting the burden of proof on you rather than the other way around that it should be.. is this how Ford does business now? how many people have had their warranties voided? I'm not looking to put any forced induction or nitros, but exhaust and intake mod, if the warranty will be voided just by that, than its stupid to assign any value to it.

I know there are always 1st year issues with new models, but it seems that the kinks have not been ironed out and Ford is being very unfriendly towards enthusiasts. I now looking more closely at the Camaro and Challenger given what i have found to this point.. test drove the GT but was really impressed with the car except going getting into second was not smooth and a bit hard/grinding noises on the test car, thats when i started doing research on the issues faced by other 2011 buyers..
Old 07-12-2011, 07:45 PM
Joe in Dublin
2nd Gear Member

ford will change the tranny fluid to their dual clutch fluid. that helps alot, for cold starts and cold weather. mine shifts fine now. if u dont get it done u can wear out your syncros faster. the warranty thing is no biggie. get a proper tune or the frpp tune. i have had the ford tune with zero problems for almost a year. a bad tune can cause damage due to severe pinging..if your engines blows because of some crazy tune your on your own, just like any other company..if 430hp is not enough from the frpp tune i would skip a crazy tune and get the 525hp frpp supercharger..
Old 07-12-2011, 07:55 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Got 8700 miles since Dec 1st on my '11 GT/CS with no problems. Changed the fluid per the tsb, have no tune yet...maybe someday but not worried if I do.

No idea as to the % with problems but it would be a guess either way if anyone had that %. Local Ford dealer has had no issues with bad trannies from the info they give me. I would buy again knowing the current issues...the car is a blast.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:05 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

I wouldn't let those issues concern you if you want a new Mustang. The percentage of failures if pretty low from what I've been reading. I have 24,000 miles on mine, stock drivetrain, and beating on it most of those miles, it runs and shifts great.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:13 PM
JimmyM
3rd Gear Member

Only a small minority of all manual '11+ Mustang owners are experiencing the tranny/clutch issues. That said, I thought the odds would be in my favor, but I was wrong. I have all the fun stuff: notchiness, grinds, lockouts, nonlinear clutch, even when fully warmed up in 90+ degree weather.

I know a lot of people like to downplay it, but the fact is, if you are unlucky and actually gets one with a crap load of issues, be prepared for Ford to tell you that everything is normal, even though the shifting smoothness has deteriorated DRASTICALLY since the first day you drove it off the lot. Still, if I had to do it over, I'd still buy a manual... and take my chances.

As for the new warranty bulletin.. I think it's pretty lame. Ford even listed axlebacks as an aftermarket part that voids your warranty. Sure, you can easily remove that before taking your car in, but seriously? I just think that their stance is pretty lame, especially for Mustangs, which arguably has the most enthusiasts (dating back decades) of any American auto brand. I understand they want to protect their business, but drop-in air filters and axlebacks? That's a bitch move.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:26 PM
itsy

Thanks, thats the kind of insight i was looking for.

I'm used to 1st year glitches, used to have a 1st yr 350Z, which i put in a twin turbo and flogged it at the track.. and nissan was very fair on fixing all 1st yr glitches, never gave me any heart burn for bringing in car that was heavily modified (heck had a ECU piggy back unit). they serviced it like any other and performed all TSBs to fix items that came up..

I don't want the hassle of dealing with taking things on and off for things that have no impact on other parts of the car, come on.. i happy to take the risk for things that i change and have direct impact.. I like the 5.0 engine as is, but would want to do CAI and exhaust, if thats an issue with Ford than its warranty is crap and just got to price that into the car.. now the SRT8 looks almost on even terms in money..
Old 07-12-2011, 10:46 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Hrm just wondering.
Does this clutch fluid thing need to be done on pre 11-12 Mustangs?
Old 07-12-2011, 10:54 PM
scottybaccus
2nd Gear Member

No. It's not clutch fluid, it's trans fluid. It's simply replaced with a slicker full synthetic over the sythetic blend that they are delivered with.

The V6 has the exact same transmission and rear axle, no changes whatsoever from the V8. Mine is smooth enough and is getting better with use. I'm at 4100 miles now.

Itsy, Where in TX are you? I have a very performance friendly dealer service manager and have no reason at all to think I'll be doing any dancing with him. I suspect there are many more out there, so suggest you research a performance friendly dealer.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:03 PM
itsy

I'm in San Antonio, any recommendations on dealers would be great
Old 07-12-2011, 11:52 PM
snaf2u
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimmyM
Only a small minority of all manual '11+ Mustang owners are experiencing the tranny/clutch issues. That said, I thought the odds would be in my favor, but I was wrong. I have all the fun stuff: notchiness, grinds, lockouts, nonlinear clutch, even when fully warmed up in 90+ degree weather.

I know a lot of people like to downplay it, but the fact is, if you are unlucky and actually gets one with a crap load of issues, be prepared for Ford to tell you that everything is normal, even though the shifting smoothness has deteriorated DRASTICALLY since the first day you drove it off the lot. Still, if I had to do it over, I'd still buy a manual... and take my chances.

As for the new warranty bulletin.. I think it's pretty lame. Ford even listed axlebacks as an aftermarket part that voids your warranty. Sure, you can easily remove that before taking your car in, but seriously? I just think that their stance is pretty lame, especially for Mustangs, which arguably has the most enthusiasts (dating back decades) of any American auto brand. I understand they want to protect their business, but drop-in air filters and axlebacks? That's a bitch move.
Do some real research. There are laws that govern when a manufacture can void a warranty due to aftermarket mods. Look them up and be properly informed. Do the research and have more peace of mind. That being said we always run some risk and you must be willing to accept the results of your actions. It`s called responsibility.

Quick Reply: 2011-12 GT Manual ?