Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'06 Gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 07:59 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

Default '06 Gas mileage

So of course Mustangs are notorious for their terribleish gas mileage,
but I've been reading around, and I seem to get worse mileage than everyone else.

I have an '06 v6, Automatic. Only has 28k miles, and it's in great shape.

I get 12-15 mpg city, (15 if I baby it). Not sure about highway, but i'm sure it's not too much higher.
From what I've seen, most people get 17+ city, better if they baby it.

Not sure if I'm out of line saying I do get bad mileage,
but I'm averaging 200 miles a tank. And at $53 to fill up (just straight unleaded gas), it kinda sucks.

I replaced my fuel filter today, so hopefully that will make a difference. But otherwise, would there be any other problems that's causing me to get such bad mileage? (Besides my heavy foot).

Is it possible that whoever owned it before me (I purchased from a dealership about a month ago), had a performance tune loaded or something?

Help! =/
Old 07-25-2011, 08:04 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

I got 14 when I was driving primarily city. Yes, I own a GT but from what I've been told, both the 6 and 8 got very similiar gas mileage prior to 2011. You're driving habits dictate your mileage. I drive primarily highway (average 45 mph according to odometer) so I get 23 mph overall but if I drove mostly city, i'd be around 14 (16 was best I could muster during my city tenure). Also, while changing the fuel filter probably doesn't hurt, it was probably unnecessary prior to 50k miles. Hope this helps a little.

It's a Mustang, if you bought it for the MPG, you bought the wrong car.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:10 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

yeah it's not a super big deal,
I've just been seeing others getting much better mileage than me, and it's just kinda...eh.

haha now I wish I would have gotten a GT and not been worried about gas with it =/
Old 07-25-2011, 08:16 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

My g/f's '06 V6 got about 16 MPG around her Chicago burb home and she has a lead foot. My GT got better gas mileage because I drive like granny in town (but out on the open road; different story). There's not much you can do except keep the car well maintained, raise the tire pressure to about 33-34 PSI, time your lights, accelerate less.... "aggressively" and coast as much as possible.

I doubt you have a performance tune since I assume you're putting 87 octane and most performance tunes require higher octane. You'd be pinging if that was the case, IMO.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:53 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

The heat has really been killing the cars, especially if you use the AC.

There are a lot of factors. Tires, tire pressure, how long you drive, type of traffic. List goes on. I would keep data logging by hand and see what you get in the long run.

As Nuke mentioned, coast the car. Keeping your foot on the throttle and slowly feeding gas to these cars kill the MPG also.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:24 PM
powell

Originally Posted by kput
So of course Mustangs are notorious for their terribleish gas mileage,
but I've been reading around, and I seem to get worse mileage than everyone else.

I have an '06 v6, Automatic. Only has 28k miles, and it's in great shape.

I get 12-15 mpg city, (15 if I baby it). Not sure about highway, but i'm sure it's not too much higher.
From what I've seen, most people get 17+ city, better if they baby it.

Not sure if I'm out of line saying I do get bad mileage,
but I'm averaging 200 miles a tank. And at $53 to fill up (just straight unleaded gas), it kinda sucks.

I replaced my fuel filter today, so hopefully that will make a difference. But otherwise, would there be any other problems that's causing me to get such bad mileage? (Besides my heavy foot).

Is it possible that whoever owned it before me (I purchased from a dealership about a month ago), had a performance tune loaded or something?

Help! =/
I have a 05 v6 automatic and have put it on the road many times to the mountains and also a couple of florida trips and averaged 27.5 mpg everytime even with the a/c on. One of the first things I did was put in a new K&N air filter. 27.5 on the road is acceptable to me.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:01 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Geez, powell. Ever hear of "comparing apples to oranges"?

Last edited by Nuke; 07-25-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:48 AM
powell

Geez Nuke, this guy is seeking gas mileage help.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:05 AM
White05GT
3rd Gear Member

Ethanol laced gas will lower your mileage also.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:30 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SilverBullet500
A K&N cold air intake and performance exhaust system would both help out your gas millage substantially. Especially the performance exhaust system since the 06's exhaust is so restricted....

I'm not sure where you're getting you info from.
  • A stand alone CAI won't substantially help gas mileage and in some cases will have a negative impact simply because folks will put their foot in it to hear the slight change in intake tone and to feel the imaginary power gain. Same thing with the DEFINITE POWER GAINS from a CAI & tune combo. You could get an economy tune but it sukz watching soccer mom's blow your doors in...
  • The stock exhaust is relatively free-flowing compared to most other cars. And any exhaust work, even on the 4.0, has proven to not improve fuel mileage.
Originally Posted by powell
Geez Nuke, this guy is seeking gas mileage help.

Change your driving habits and maintain your car OR sell it and get a Prius?

Quick Reply: '06 Gas mileage