Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

My 4.0 v6 to 4.6 v8 swap

Old 12-31-2011, 05:16 PM
mustangbee319

Originally Posted by pascal View Post
For the 4V, try LKQ if you can get a wholesale account...
I have a lkq account.... I found a 4.6 3v motor and 5sp tranny for 2100
Old 01-01-2012, 09:15 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Don't bother with the 4.6 unless you're going the Terminator route or at least a 4V set up...
Lot of efforts for a transplant that a blown V6 will dust anyway (cheaper still).

If I remember well, you can get a Navigator mill that has been refreshed from LKQ.
It still comes with the accessories and all...
I will check it out for you.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:43 AM
mustangbee319

Don't bother with the 4.6 unless you're going the Terminator route or at least a 4V set up...
Lot of efforts for a transplant that a blown V6 will dust anyway (cheaper still).

If I remember well, you can get a Navigator mill that has been refreshed from LKQ.
It still comes with the accessories and all...
I will check it out for you.
Thanks Pascal.. really appreciate the help and support...I got about a 5-6k bugdet but I'm doing all the work my self. I guess. 5.4 4v it is. Is there a list of parts that I need to be aware of?
Old 01-01-2012, 12:51 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

A 4.6 3v with trans and all can be obtained for under 2k, and along with all the other parts, if you get them too, you can do a basic swap for $2500 or less. It's a very easy swap with minimal compatibility issues.

The difference vs your 4.0 will be astounding, so DO IT!!!
Sure, putting in some other engine will give more n/a power, but costs may be more. A 5.4 would be a very nice alternative.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:27 PM
mustangbee319

Question

Originally Posted by tx_zstang View Post
A 4.6 3v with trans and all can be obtained for under 2k, and along with all the other parts, if you get them too, you can do a basic swap for $2500 or less. It's a very easy swap with minimal compatibility issues.

The difference vs your 4.0 will be astounding, so DO IT!!!
Sure, putting in some other engine will give more n/a power, but costs may be more. A 5.4 would be a very nice alternative.
This is exactly why I said I'm torn between the two engines... I'm not into drag strips and racing, but I do want the swap because as I said before my tranny is on its dying bed. And my motor has 150k plus on the odometer. How much in total was your swap tx_zstang?
Old 01-02-2012, 08:48 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Try to do a budget comparo between the two mills...
In both cases you'll need the electronics and accessories so I can't see a big budget difference.
Although I could be wrong since I haven't done it myself.

If you go with a stock 4.6 3V, you're wasting your money IMO.
Not to mention that the 3V engines (4.6 and 5.4) won't have that distinct V8 rumble we all love.
The strokers with cams are a little better but it's not like a twin cam or the old pushrod intoxicant as far as sound, lol.

I was quoted $1500 and less for a 5.4 4V with 20K miles on it...
Could be cheaper now but availability is wearing thin.
The new 5.0 is also a good thing to consider if the drivetrain can be had reasonably.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:01 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Try to do a budget comparo between the two mills...
In both cases you'll need the electronics and accessories so I can't see a big budget difference.
Although I could be wrong since I haven't done it myself.

If you go with a stock 4.6 3V, you're wasting your money IMO.
Not to mention that the 3V engines (4.6 and 5.4) won't have that distinct V8 rumble we all love.
The strokers with cams are a little better but it's not like a twin cam or the old pushrod intoxicant as far as sound, lol.

The new 5.0 is also a good thing to consider if the drivetrain can be had reasonably.
Really? Where were you seeing that? I have only been seeing things like 2K for a 90K mile motor.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:41 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangbee319 View Post
This is exactly why I said I'm torn between the two engines... I'm not into drag strips and racing, but I do want the swap because as I said before my tranny is on its dying bed. And my motor has 150k plus on the odometer. How much in total was your swap tx_zstang?
This was 2 years ago now, but just the basic swap, engine, trans, wiring harness, pcm, lines/hoses/fluids, would have been around $2400. But going on a different path and rebuilding the engine and adding lots of stuff to it ran up the cost quite a bit more.

Some of the items you'll have to plan on buying new, like some of the lines and hoses, unless you find good used ones, which are getting harder to find now. Same with pcm and engine harness. Best is to get ahold of a donor car and pull everything out as you need it.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:50 PM
mustangbee319

Question

Originally Posted by tx_zstang View Post
This was 2 years ago now, but just the basic swap, engine, trans, wiring harness, pcm, lines/hoses/fluids, would have been around $2400. But going on a different path and rebuilding the engine and adding lots of stuff to it ran up the cost quite a bit more.

Some of the items you'll have to plan on buying new, like some of the lines and hoses, unless you find good used ones, which are getting harder to find now. Same with pcm and engine harness. Best is to get ahold of a donor car and pull everything out as you need it.
2400 is a good starting point! how about heads,and cams???
Old 01-02-2012, 04:02 PM
JimC

Hmm, thinking about pulling the engine this next year and was going to stay with the 4.0 - but now I wonder what all I would need to do to replace it with a 5.4, new blower on that, and get the 4R70 automatic behind it (or some other appropriate automatic). Wonder what it would take to get the correct ECM for the car and tune it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 4.0 v6 to 4.6 v8 swap

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.