Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brenspeed tunes and erratic idle on low rpm

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 07:50 PM
mkaishar2
1st Gear Member

Default Brenspeed tunes and erratic idle on low rpm

2006 GT with Steeda CAI and Hi-Flow Elbow
3 Tunes from Brenspeed purchased a year ago...problem has been more noticeable in the last 3-4 months though.

So when I start the car and it is in neutral it idles erratically 0rpm-1000rpm back and forth.

When I drive it and it is in gear, but the clutch is engaged and I am slowing down or driving slow it does the same thing, erratic idle and it seems like it is going to die, but never does.

Happens whether the gas tank is full/half/quarter/almost empty.
Fuel filter replaced, oil change done, checked to make sure that no gab in the CAI.

I put everything back to stock and issues go away.

Not sure where to look and how to solve, I sent an email to Brenspeed and waiting for response, but thought I would ask here also.

Thanks,
Mark

Last edited by mkaishar2; 07-28-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:14 PM
simplexdesign
4th Gear Member

I have this exact same problem with my brenspeed tune and even though brent isnt there anymore expect them to give you a hard time and deny their tune has anything to do with the problem. When they do deny make sure you mention you have talked to people that have the exact same problem. I have learned to live with it until I get cams and a custom tune.

Last edited by simplexdesign; 07-28-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:16 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

How many miles on the car and when did you clean the TB last? Mods?
Old 07-28-2011, 08:35 PM
mkaishar2
1st Gear Member

Car has 69K miles, 60K maintenance was done and that included fuel filter replacement, TB being cleaned (I specifically asked them to do that).

Mods: GTA2 Catback mufflers, suspension and the CAI, 18" bullit wheels 255 tires, nothing else, pretty stock if you ask me.

I originally had a Bamatune and Doug was very helpful (I bought the Xcal2 and tune from Doug back in 2006) but then he had some issues and I had questions and he was not around, then I started reading here, Brenspeed tunes are the best, etc...and of course I decided to try it.

Unfortunately I had to wipe out the Bamatunes (not emailed originally) to install the Brenspeed tunes.

I will wait a few days and if I receive no response from Brenspeed, I will find an alternative

Speaking of Cams...are they worth it? After 5 years driving the car, it just doesn't seem as fast as the beginning, I guess I got used to it, but I am looking to improve performance without dropping a mortgage size payment into the car

Last edited by mkaishar2; 07-28-2011 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling...
Old 07-28-2011, 08:36 PM
simplexdesign
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
How many miles on the car and when did you clean the TB last? Mods?
Cleaning the TB wont help. Or replacing it. Or changing the oil. Or changing the fuel filter. Or changing the spark plugs. Or cleaning the air filter. Or cleaning the MAF... Just sayin its a brenspeed tune problem

Originally Posted by mkaishar2
Car has 69K miles, 60K maintenance was done and that included fuel filter replacement, TB being cleaned (I specifically asked them to do that).

Mods: GTA2 Catback mufflers, suspension and the CAI, 18" bullit wheels 255 tires, nothing else, pretty stock if you ask me.

I originally had a Bamatune and Doug was very helpful (I bought the Xcal2 and tune from Doug back in 2006) but then he had some issues and I had questions and he was not around, then I started reading here, Brenspeed tunes are the best, etc...and of course I decided to try it.

Unfortunately I had to wipe out the Bamatunes (not emailed originally) to install the Brenspeed tunes.

I will wait a few days and if I receive no response from Brenspeed, I will find an alternative

Speaking of Cams...are they worth it? After 5 years driving the car, it just doesn't seem as fast as the beginning, I guess I got used to it, but I am looking to improve performance without dropping a mortgage size payment into the car

Just call brenspeed, you will get faster service. Hot rod cams or Detroit rocker cams are worth it in sound and 30 hp gains.

Last edited by simplexdesign; 07-28-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:50 PM
mkaishar2
1st Gear Member

Oh yeah and I cleaned the MAF, I guess I will call Brenspeed and see what they say about it.

So with the Cams, it looks like a $1K plus tune plus install (how much are tunes & install?)

Also on Brenspeed's site, it says need lower gears, currently I run 3.55 and I do a lot of freeway driving and I don't think the 4.10 would be ideal for California DD, well not for me anyway
Old 07-28-2011, 09:31 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by simplexdesign
Cleaning the TB wont help....
A dirty TB is often the culprit for an erratic idle. It should always be one of the first things to check before playing with tunes or doing "SMR" (Selective Modular Replacement or, in other words, throwing parts at it).

I simply tossed that out there FWIW.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:36 PM
mkaishar2
1st Gear Member

A dirty TB is often the culprit for an erratic idle. It should always be one of the first things to check before playing with tunes or doing "SMR" (Selective Modular Replacement or, in other words, throwing parts at it).

I don't disagree, but when I put it back to stock, erratic idle disappears, now I certainly don't believe that is the solution
Old 07-28-2011, 09:39 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Not that I feel sure that's it the TB, custom tunes tend to be more sensitive to TB issues. But if the TB was cleaned then certainly pursue the issue with Brenspeed.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:26 PM
simplexdesign
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mkaishar2
Oh yeah and I cleaned the MAF, I guess I will call Brenspeed and see what they say about it.

So with the Cams, it looks like a $1K plus tune plus install (how much are tunes & install?)

Also on Brenspeed's site, it says need lower gears, currently I run 3.55 and I do a lot of freeway driving and I don't think the 4.10 would be ideal for California DD, well not for me anyway

Cams are like $800 + install

I know you were just tossing it out there, we all do but I know what the issue is that this guy is dealing with because I have dealt with it for over 2 years now. And dont want him pulling his hair out trying to chase little fixes that never work.

Last edited by simplexdesign; 07-28-2011 at 10:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Brenspeed tunes and erratic idle on low rpm