Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shelby Driver's Side Airbag Cover Emblem

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 12:10 AM
nmd55
3rd Gear Member

cutter did this a while ago. He replaced the entire steering wheel but there is no reason you couldnt just change the cover

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...-for-s197.html
Old 08-02-2011, 09:47 AM
eddypython
3rd Gear Member

Fishing line does wonders. glue works great afterward as well..
Old 10-19-2011, 11:41 AM
DarkShadowCobra

Originally Posted by nmd55
here ya go, this is a piece from a 2010+ but it might fit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-...Q5fAccessories
Can the cover simply be swapped over to an existing airbag?

Or is it all really one piece?
Old 10-19-2011, 11:52 AM
fakesnake
2nd Gear Member

I did this myself in about 1 hour. You have to remover the airbag from the steering wheel which is very easy, two plastic covers covering two long screws on the side of the wheel. Be sure to pull the airbag fuse before you do this. Drill out the rivets holding the cover to the airbag assembly. Remove the plastic cover. Stuff the airbag into the new cover, rivet to assembly in three places. Place back onto steering wheel. Replace screws and plastic covers and you are done. LOOKS AWESOME btw.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:54 AM
DarkShadowCobra

Originally Posted by fakesnake
I did this myself in about 1 hour. You have to remover the airbag from the steering wheel which is very easy, two plastic covers covering two long screws on the side of the wheel. Be sure to pull the airbag fuse before you do this. Drill out the rivets holding the cover to the airbag assembly. Remove the plastic cover. Stuff the airbag into the new cover, rivet to assembly in three places. Place back onto steering wheel. Replace screws and plastic covers and you are done. LOOKS AWESOME btw.
Can this be done with a pop rivet gun? I'm swapping my 07 GT500 to the new BOSS wheel but would like the updated 2012 style GT500 logo to go with it. I'm obviously looking at the covers listed above.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:59 AM
fakesnake
2nd Gear Member

I used a pop rivet gun. At first I was concerned because the vendor listed this part for 2010 and 2011 cars only, but the airbag housing is the same for 2005 through 2011, they all attach using three rivets in the same place and the housing is the same size.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:01 PM
DarkShadowCobra

I used a pop rivet gun. At first I was concerned because the vendor listed this part for 2010 and 2011 cars only, but the airbag housing is the same for 2005 through 2011, they all attach using three rivets in the same place and the housing is the same size.
Perfect. I've been searching for this info for a few days. I will grab the new cover and swap over.

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2011, 11:45 AM
DarkShadowCobra

Here is what the 'empty' cover looks like. I don't see any place to rivet the existing airbag?

Old 11-02-2011, 12:06 PM
fakesnake
2nd Gear Member

On the picture of the airbag cover facing up, there are three "ears" facing up, one on top and two on the bottom. there is a small 1/4" hole in each of the three "ears" . The pop rivets, three of them go here and secure the air bag assembly to the cover. When the airbag goes off, the cover splits down the middle, but stays attached to the airbag assembly because of the three rivets. If you do not use the rivets, the airbag would send the cover off like a projectile. Not good. Do this right, Ask a Ford tech to do the riveting if you are not sure. It will take him five minutes with the right tool.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:22 PM
DarkShadowCobra

Ok, I was just trying to 'see' it all before having the parts in my hands. FRPP sells the Cobra Jet airbag cover only for about $50, PN: M-63043B13-CJ. It is basically the same as pictured above but with the newer GT500 logo I am looking for. I will get it in my claws before I pull the existing bag/wheel.

Quick Reply: Shelby Driver's Side Airbag Cover Emblem