Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sync Questions?

Old 08-05-2011, 08:31 AM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

Default Sync Questions?

Okay, so I have the latest version of Sync. However, the system itself is a bit confusing. Like for example, I hooked my phone up to the system, but it won't read the text messages. How do I get it to do that? I have the iPhone 4. Also, there are several things I still don't understand with the system.

Also, when you get directions, I notice that they basically just call a phone number and then download the directions to your car. If you miss a turn or something like that, will it recalculate itself?

And, is there any way to control the music through the iPod/iPhone while the phone is charging on the USB? I kinda hate the fact that I can't control the music from my phone while its charging, and that I can only control the music thru my phone when it's not charging.

Finally, will I regret having the Navigation Package? I know it was a 2200 option or something crazy like that.

And yeah sorry if this is a repetitive thread, but from the topics I searched, noone of them talked about the texting and the directions thing.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:09 AM
Tex-stang
2nd Gear Member

1. I have not yet found a phone that works with the text messages.
2. It will recalculate but it takes a minute because it will re-download new directions.
3. use the sync system.
4.i would say no but you can easily buy a nice gps for 200 or less.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:00 AM
BlueBellThunder
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tightdogal
Okay, so I have the latest version of Sync. However, the system itself is a bit confusing. Like for example, I hooked my phone up to the system, but it won't read the text messages. How do I get it to do that? I have the iPhone 4. Also, there are several things I still don't understand with the system.

Also, when you get directions, I notice that they basically just call a phone number and then download the directions to your car. If you miss a turn or something like that, will it recalculate itself?

And, is there any way to control the music through the iPod/iPhone while the phone is charging on the USB? I kinda hate the fact that I can't control the music from my phone while its charging, and that I can only control the music thru my phone when it's not charging.

Finally, will I regret having the Navigation Package? I know it was a 2200 option or something crazy like that.

And yeah sorry if this is a repetitive thread, but from the topics I searched, noone of them talked about the texting and the directions thing.

I also have a iphone 4, the sync won't read text messages with that phone. Maybe the next iphone update will include that feature. Also you can control your music while the phone is being charged. It takes a minute or 2 to index your music to display on your screen, then you need to hit the voice activation button on the steering wheel and say USB. Your car should have came with short cuts for the sync system, if not contact either the dealer of Ford.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:09 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Confirmed: iPhone does not work with the text function at all. It sucks because you know your car has that feature but it is useless
Old 08-08-2011, 02:39 AM
Xanthri

Default no expert

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
Confirmed: iPhone does not work with the text function at all. It sucks because you know your car has that feature but it is useless
I am no expert, at this point I have not even ordered my car (should be doing that at week's end)....I did do some research though on Sync as I am do a new phone soon too.

You can use iphone with SMS/TXT but only through third party software from what I have read. You must jailbreak your phone then load software called from irealsms.com. It is NOT freeware and I have no clue how much it costs....but if you are willing to jailbreak your phone it might be worth it. NOTE: I have not tried this but have been doing a lot of research over the past two weeks.....

On a side note would love to hear from anyone who tried this to see if it does as they say.

By the way it all deals with messaging protocol (MAP) which IPHONE does not use and will likely not support since SYNC is a microsoft product. I personally think they need to support or people will go to windows 7 phones that DO support all functionality.

Just my two cents.....hope this helps!
Old 08-08-2011, 06:03 AM
shad2009
5th Gear Member

another way you can use your iphone to change the music is to select the ipod icon on your phone while it is plugged in, and a screen will come up, just hit the home button again and it will go away...did it on an f150 i was driving from another dealership for a customer...you can also use the steering wheel controls to flip through artist etc so you dont have to use your ipod...i know that's a pain to do, but it keeps you from looking like your texting

and if you are getting the navigation package, why are you worried about have directions sent to your phone?

this is just my $.02 and i work at a ford dealer, so if you ever have any questions you can pm me...good luck
Old 08-17-2011, 02:37 PM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Hi everyone, I'm with the In-Vehicle Technology Team. I can assist with SYNC, Navigation, and MyFord Touch related questions.

tightdogal -

Unfortunately the text messaging feature is not compatible with the iPhone at this time.

As far as the directions go Tex-stang, is correct! If you get off track you will be asked if you would like to re-calculate the route and directions will be downloaded again.

If anyone has any questions let me know!

~Jaclyn
Old 09-14-2012, 05:15 PM
IcanDrive55
1st Gear Member

Wow, when I bought my car a month ago the dealership touted the benefits of receiving the text messages.....I guess they forgot to mention it doesn't work with one of the most popular phones in the country
Old 09-14-2012, 05:24 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by IcanDrive55
Wow, when I bought my car a month ago the dealership touted the benefits of receiving the text messages.....I guess they forgot to mention it doesn't work with one of the most popular phones in the country
iPhone's might be popular, but there's no accounting for taste there I guess! I abhor Apple products. Guess that's because Im a systems engineer plus a gamer and Apple has always been an epic fail when it comes to computing in the enterprise and the gaming realm.

But I do agree that they should mention at the dealership that because of the Microsoft / Ford partnership there might be some functions that wont work with the iPhone. Cuz people with iPhones need to be told that the big Microsoft SYNC silver plate shouldnt be interpreted as "Hey your iCrap wont work here!"

I'll add that my Zune doesn't work with my Pioneer AVIC like my wife's iPod does...there's seemingly ZERO integration for it. Tell me that doesnt suck. So, replace your MS SYNC based ford stereo with a Pioneer and you'll be super happy iphone people!
Old 09-14-2012, 05:37 PM
UberDuper
1st Gear Member

ios6 adds the bluetooth MAP support required for the sms/text stuff. I've been meaning to install the GM version on my iphone4 to test it out. May do that this weekend.

The electronics pack is really nice. Nav works great. Voice controls work very well after setting up your voice profile. Indexes music quickly. Clarity on the other end of hands free calls is good. Overall it's a good system. I don't think it's worth $2200. Ford needs to come down on the cost of this system. $1500 tops imo.

My '13 explorer has the whole whiz bang my ford touch system and it's awful. I don't understand how for 2 years running now Ford has offered this system in this ridiculously broken state. It's so bad that people have had to hack together usb sticks that will force a reboot of the system when plugged in to help resolve the daily / hourly glitches.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sync Questions?