Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The rust on our axles , and other places..

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 09:16 PM
scottybaccus
2nd Gear Member

I was gonna say POR15, too.

There's no mystic science to why they stopped painting the rear axle and other suspension parts. These are heavy materials that are not in danger of rust-through, like sheetmetal would be. It costs money to paint the axle housing, yet in only a few years road use, salt and weather have stripped all the paint away. It makes perfect sense to reduce the costs by skipping the paint.

You want it pretty? Paint it. But be ready to do it again sooner than you think.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:07 AM
BeachBlv
2nd Gear Member

I hate that too, I dont understand why car manufactures cant just take the time to put a thick coating on everything metal on the bottom of cars.. BUT you could always just buy a car from here in the desert The 06 Mustang I just bought is seriously as clean as a brand new car underneath.. Not even a hint of corrosion
Old 08-08-2011, 12:25 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

I see nothing.............. from the drivers seat...............
Old 08-08-2011, 06:37 AM
Buckshot Barry
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by scottybaccus
I was gonna say POR15, too.

There's no mystic science to why they stopped painting the rear axle and other suspension parts. These are heavy materials that are not in danger of rust-through, like sheetmetal would be. It costs money to paint the axle housing, yet in only a few years road use, salt and weather have stripped all the paint away. It makes perfect sense to reduce the costs by skipping the paint.

You want it pretty? Paint it. But be ready to do it again sooner than you think.
I guess you have never owned a Honda or Acura.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:04 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by eddypython
...I wonder, should I get that rust remover and the POR 15 and use them ? or is that overkill ? lol
Nah, just go directly over the rust with the POR 15.
Wire brush a little the best you can if you want and make sure it's free of oil or water and go for it.

For those wondering...
This stuff will not stick very good on clean bare metal so if you have only a few spot with surface rust, it's best to treat those spots first with regular products (like OSPHO) and prime the whole thing with epoxy and then throw some paint on it.
Or............if you're like myself, wait about a year and it will be entirely coated with surface rust and at that point, just brush on the POR15 and reward yourself with a cold beer.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:02 AM
highline
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by groper
POR 15. You can get the starter kit, It will go along way. I did not paint the drive shaft.
So I don't get what I'm looking at here...you put a new pumpkin cover on (or whole new axle assembly) with 3.73s?

@ Pascal...you just wire brush this **** in and don't have to paint over it? This seems uncomprehendable...How does a product both remove rust from unpainted metal and leave a painted finish?
Old 08-08-2011, 10:13 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
wait about a year and it will be entirely coated with surface rust and at that point, just brush on the POR15 and reward yourself with a cold beer.
I understand it bonds with the rust and changes it's properties, but how long does this last effectively? Any ideas? Will it need to be gone over again in 3yrs, 8yrs?
Old 08-08-2011, 10:28 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wayne613
I understand it bonds with the rust and changes it's properties, but how long does this last effectively? Any ideas? Will it need to be gone over again in 3yrs, 8yrs?
No idea. Some folks just love the stuff, others refuse to use it.

I can see where this little job can come out looking nice, but I'm too lazy to do something like that just so somebody who is taking a chance of getting exhaust-burnt or inadvertently run over won't come complaining to me about it or whine about needing a tetanus shot.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 08-08-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:35 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

I have interior pieces with rust! You know the little ring in the carpet? Or the places where the seat is bolted to the floor? All rusted before I got it. I don't even know what to do with it lol.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:27 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by wayne613
It lasts at least for the life of the car (nothing is forever you know).
And yes, it bonds with the rust as long as we're talking about surface rust, not rust through surfaces. Big difference!

Brush one coat for saturation and apply another one 20mn/30mn later (this stuff dries slow) for durability and finish.
Once dry, it looks glossy and turn semi gloss with age.
Also, it is not user friendly, should you feel the need to coat it with paint later on.
This stuff is really hard to sand

Quick Reply: The rust on our axles , and other places..