Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running Out Of Gas At WOT on the Supercharged Engine=Catastrophic?

Old 08-07-2011, 11:31 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Question Running Out Of Gas At WOT on the Supercharged Shelby Engine=Catastrophic?

I was reading that if you run out of gas or fuel pressure on supercharged engines at WOT that your engine is basically screwed.

Well....when I took the Shelby on it's test drive I was at full throttle and the engine started cutting out.
Actually did it twice because the first time I thought maybe I let my foot off the gas.
Looked down and found out it was on 0 mi. of gas. We were doing about 120 or more.
Had a funny smell after too. But we did make it to the gas station about quarter mi. down the road.

It was not cutting out while driving normal back to the gas station... Maybe it was not THAT low on gas yet and only at WOT it needed more fuel or something?
After putting gas in it the engine did NOT cut out any more so I KNOW that is why it was doing it when I was pushing it on the test drive.

This was three months ago and the car has run fine every since.
Should I be worried or looking for something?
Could this have damaged the engine or engine life and me NOT know about it after all this time?

Or am I being paranoid since everything has been running ok and I have had no engine lights or anything?

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 08-07-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:04 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Anyone?
Old 08-07-2011, 12:09 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

I would think you would be alright since it just shut down, I think it would be bad if you were in high boost ( you seem to still be stockish ) and the fuel went out which would be extremely lean near the redline. And nothing seems to have happened to your motor if it is still normal lol.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:18 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Just one comment on future things, I kniw you have a gt500, so the design in the fuel tanks may be different, but I know with the HO whipple kit that include the gt500 fuel pumps, they warn against going into WOT at under 1/4 tank, something about the gas acting as a coolant for the fuel pumps.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:30 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by danzcool
Just one comment on future things, I kniw you have a gt500, so the design in the fuel tanks may be different, but I know with the HO whipple kit that include the gt500 fuel pumps, they warn against going into WOT at under 1/4 tank, something about the gas acting as a coolant for the fuel pumps.

Was unaware of that.
Thanks for that bit on info.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:03 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by danzcool
Ahh yes our tanks are 16 gallon but F to E is 14, the other 2 gallons are used to cool the fuel pump (s).
Old 08-07-2011, 03:03 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Car is trashed, I will send you an address to ship it to.....lol. Drive on and enjoy.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:23 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Blacksmoke get off the medical marijuana, its making your paranoid! LOL

Happened three months ago, you are probably fine. I always fill up at quarter tank, dont want to risk anything.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:28 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

You kill me BSmoke!
Did you spend all your money getting the GT500?
You got any parts off the GT you need to sell for some $$?
I might be able to take it off ur hands.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:38 PM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

Here is the deal ....With NO fuel in the combustion chamber you can't have pre-ingnition since there is no fuel too burn. With say half the amount you normally run in the combustion chamber you can have pre-ignition because there is fuel to burn. One reason for pre-ignition with lean [low fuel] is that the fuel cools the combustion chamber when it it goes in with the cool air but if you have less fuel it won't cool the combustion chamber as well and it increases the likely hood for pre-ignition.

Low fuel pressure gives you fuel but not enough, prime circumstances for pre-ignition.

Last edited by 908ssp; 08-07-2011 at 07:40 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Running Out Of Gas At WOT on the Supercharged Engine=Catastrophic?