Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Wheel Not Rotating?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 12:44 PM
sdonaghey
2nd Gear Member

Question Rear Wheel Not Rotating?

Hi,

I just got a call from a local shop that is doing my gears and they asked if I know why the rear wheels would not roate with the e-brake off. I noticed this awhile ago while doing other work on the car, but it seems that when the car starts the rear calipers release the rotors completely.

Is this normal? I have released the e-brake in my driveway and the car can be pushed, but should it move alot easier than they are saying? The guy I talked too said he could not roate the wheel at all. they were going to disconnect the drive shaft and see if it moves freely. I think it is the calipers acting up, as when I went to change the pads last year, i had a hell of a time compressing the calipers in. I had to release all pressure to the caliper at the banjo bolt and remove the bleeder for me to be able to compress the caliper.

Sean
Old 08-09-2011, 01:15 PM
IndecisiveS197
2nd Gear Member

When you compressed the rear calipers, did you just compress them or did you turn them in?

AFAIK The rear calipers on our cars need to be turned to compress them, not just pressed in. That may be the cause of your problems.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:23 PM
sdonaghey
2nd Gear Member

sorry, they were turned in. I used the proper tool to screw the caliper in. It would connect to the indents on the caliper but the caliper would not screw in at all until the internal pressure was relieved.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:28 PM
lunyou
2nd Gear Member

While I have no additions to this thread I want to thank you guys. I knew nothing about a tool to screw in the calipers.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:07 PM
Boondoggie
1st Gear Member

They called you?

Damn. That would shake my confidence in their abilities. It shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to diagnose if they've already got the car a lift.
Is the car in gear?
Remove the calipers, does the problem go away?
Unbolt the driveshaft. does the problem go away?
If not, then it's something in the rear end, and well, they're claiming to be capable of tearing into that so.....
Old 08-09-2011, 03:32 PM
magnido45
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boondoggie
They called you?

Damn. That would shake my confidence in their abilities. It shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to diagnose if they've already got the car a lift.
Is the car in gear?
Remove the calipers, does the problem go away?
Unbolt the driveshaft. does the problem go away?
If not, then it's something in the rear end, and well, they're claiming to be capable of tearing into that so.....
that's what I thought...why would professional mechanics ask a question they should have the answer to...
Old 08-09-2011, 04:00 PM
sdonaghey
2nd Gear Member

The question they asked was have I been experiencing problems in the past. They called me asking if I wanted them to look into it for me further. I would say that is a good shop, asking the customer first before doing more than they should, since time is money! I talked to them after and they said everything is fine. They are a local shop that does a lot of Mustang stuff, but I bet you i am the first S197 they have done a rear gear swap.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:18 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

I could see the shop calling the customer to advise of the issue and if you wanted to spend the additional money to investigate.. but all of a sudden they are saying everything is fine? I would get the details.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:56 AM
highline
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sdonaghey
They are a local shop that does a lot of Mustang stuff, but I bet you i am the first S197 they have done a rear gear swap.
that alone would scare me...glad it's ok...
Old 08-10-2011, 08:52 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sdonaghey
The question they asked was have I been experiencing problems in the past. They called me asking if I wanted them to look into it for me further. I would say that is a good shop, asking the customer first before doing more than they should, since time is money! I talked to them after and they said everything is fine. They are a local shop that does a lot of Mustang stuff, but I bet you i am the first S197 they have done a rear gear swap.
Still an 8.8 not much different from the previous models!