Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Mustang track pack brake noise + recommended tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 02:25 AM
cartwright

Default 2010 Mustang track pack brake noise + recommended tires

Ive got a 2010 Mustang GT with a track pack. Its got 19,000 miles on it, I drive it in the city and I am quite hard on my brakes.
Unfortunately, ever since the first few weeks that Ive had the car, when i hit the brakes at higher speeds they are fine, but once I get to around 10 mph and lower no matter how hard (or easy) I press on the brakes, I get a god awful noise and rubbing/screeching sound that you can hear for a good 20 feet. I have brought it to the dealer and they said that everything was ok, and maybe it was brake dust? Following their recommendation, I went to the car wash and spent 10 minutes cleaning nothing but my brakes, that worked... for about 5 minutes, and then the sound was back! Note: I do live in Las Vegas and it gets super hot here, could the heat be doing something to the brakes? (noob question, I know.)

The brakes work fine (I think) but I just want to know what this sound is. Could it really be brake dust, so quickly? Or do I need new pads and/or rotors? If I do need new brakes, is 19,000 miles the normal interval for changing out the brakes? If so, which brake pads/rotors should I get, and how easy would it be for me to replace them myself?

Also, the stock track pack summer-only Pirellis just spin in 1st gear now for quite a long time, and I think they need to be replaced. Any recommendations on which new tires I should put on it, and would it be ok to put on slightly wider REAR tires, for better traction, would this make the ride in the backseat more rough?

Thanks for the help everyone!

Cartwright
Old 08-16-2011, 11:25 AM
Benjammin1829

Dude,

Mine does the same thing! I finally gave up with the cleaning of the pads, asking the dealship what was up, and just ignored it! LOL I think it's a gremlin that we have to deal with! LOL

Ben
Old 01-19-2012, 06:31 PM
mph07alloy
3rd Gear Member

I just turned over 11000 miles and just now started noticing it, I think it's the same thing you are talking about. It did it to me this morning on the way to work and coming home too. I can actually feel it in the brake pedal when it makes the noise. At first I thought the ABS was coming on. I made a video to see if anyone else had the same noise.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:29 PM
BL00DSH0T
2nd Gear Member

Mine doesn't sound as bad as in the video.
I get a really bad squeal from passenger side. And if I really get on the breaks I can feel the ABS grab and let go on that same side.
I have taken the tire off and inspected and cleanedit up and it was all good for a while, then came back.

I plan on getting some new rotors/pads and bleed everything and see if that helps.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:13 AM
mph07alloy
3rd Gear Member

By the way mine is an '11, no brembo pkg, just the standard brakes and just like cartwright said above it only happens at low speed. After going somewhere last night I could feel the ABS coming on for no reason at low speed while stopping. I had an issue with the traction control kicking on for no reason a few months ago but it only happened a few times and never occurred again.